Notices

Quitting alcohol while depressed

Old 03-27-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol while depressed

Has anyone ever quit while they were severely depressed? During the times in my life when I wasn’t depressed I drank as much as during the depressed times but I am finding it very difficult to keep up the strength needed to resist the temptation to drink right now. It is day one again, and I am already faltering in my resolve. It is hard to give up the only thing that makes you happy when you can barely get out of bed you know.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Felly,

I know what you mean.

I had a terrible time trying to stop drinking because I was depressed. I just felt so low and that there was nothing left of my life. I honestly didn't care enough about myself to stop drinking or to care what I was doing.

I had to get on antidepressants and get the depression treated. Within a couple of months of doing that, I stopped drinking.

It could also be that your depression is caused by the drinking and that stopping drinking will help clear up your depression.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
The day I stopped I found out in the morning that my now ex was having an affair, she wanted a divorce, she wanted to take the house away, and I wasn't going to see my kids every day.

Yeah, I was a little depressed. I'd been battling my depression with alcohol for most of my life, so I saw this as a sign that I'd finally lost.

What I knew from that moment on was that I could never safely take a drink again. To drink meant to die, it might be a slow death or I could go quickly. That's up to God now, not me, assuming I stay sober and follow His will for me.

I thought I was giving up the only thing that made me happy too. But what I know now is that it never made me happy and it'll never improve any issue I have. My happiness comes through living a clean, sober, and spiritual life. I've got a richer life than I ever dreamed was possible.

I'm glad you haven't given up Felicia, keep coming back to recovery. If you do the deal and the footwork, eventually it'll stick and the miracle happens.
Trust me, I wouldn't lie to ya! ;-)
Old 03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found that Alcohol was a major contributor to my depression.

After some recovery, and working the steps, the depression is but a memory. I hardly ever get it anymore.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont drink but being an addict is no different.
I always was depressed when I quit. The drugs was what made me depressed so there was no way around it.
I dont really have to much to add to what has already been said.
I do know that the drinking probably isnt helping that at all/
Old 03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Have you considered talking with your doctor to get help for the depression? Even if you only take anti-depressants for a short period of time while you are getting sober they might help.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Felly,

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I struggle with depression sometimes too and alcohol used to make me feel better. Well, it used to make me feel better in the way that I would get blind drunk by myself in my apartment and not know what the f*ck I was doing or what the hell was going on. Numbing my feelings so to speak. Infact, one time I ordered a sandwich delivered to my apartment and the delivery guy was like "Hey man, last time I was here, you had it on you pretty good." I, of course, had no clue what the guy was talking about--embarrassing, yeah. Its best to just deal with depressing feelings, everyone has to at some point. You are better off smoking a J and watching a movie than getting engulfed in the bottle. Or just talk to someone 'bout why you are bummed. Hang in there. Depression will pass. Everything will pass.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol made my depression much, much worse.
It was only through sobriety and recovery that I got out from under depression.
Please go see your doc, you might need to be on a course of anti depressants.
Seren
Old 03-27-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I guess it is time to see my doctor again and try to find some way to pull myself out of this.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Felly,
I am sorry you are hurting so badly. Please take the advise from the others and see a doctor.
You are in my prayers.
Suzette
Old 03-27-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All the very best to you dear Felly,
I know it can be very tough to go through this.
Please know that there is hope, I am living proof.
pm me anytime,
Seren
Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you do follow through with your doctor, Felly...anti-depressants don't have to be a forever thing, just something for a few months to help pull you out of the abyss and back into the sun. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best...
Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

(((((Felly)))))

I was diagnosed with major depression when I was 14. By the time I decided to quit drinking, I'd attempted suicide three times in as many months. I know it seems so much easier to just numb out the depression. But honestly, Fell, I feel better now than I have in years. I can't remember the last time I cried, and that's huge for me. In my experience, at least, quitting really did lift the depression.

Are you working with a counselor of some sort?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My alcoholism manifested itself with depression.
As mine was diagnosed as situational depression

When I finally quit drinking...by 3 months sober
my depression had vanished.

This may or may not be the situation for you Felly
seeing your doctor is a wise move....
Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've struggled with severe depression for years. I'm currently on antidepressants, "mood stabilizers", and a med for quitting drinking to re-balance the brain-chemical-imbalance caused by alcohol. I'm on a total of five meds but none of them are the benzos I want to help with anxiety issues. But the depression has never been so bad. I'm starting over - again - with day One, as I ruined my four days sober yesterday by drinking most of a bottle of wine to dull the panic I was feeling. I know that was a bad choice to make, but I felt so panicked I didn't know what else to do. Im afraid of my depression and anxiety as it seems to take over my life and I feel powerless to fight it off. It is completely out of control and I am scared to death of myself. I'm sorry