Notices

Please Help me Im freaking Out!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Please Help me Im freaking Out!

just saw the Exorcism of Emily Rose and I really really scared me. I can't sleep, i have anxiety attacks! I'm prone to them but I just can't get this stupid movie out of my head. Did anyone elso see this movie? Especially becouse of it's correlation with Paranormal State episodes. Please don't try to scare me more i don't think my heart can handle it. Please help. I just want somebody to tell me it's just a stupid movie and there's no way It can hurt me. Thats what i try to tell myself but i just get so panicked. Has anybody had similiar experiences with movies. I've been having these attacks fro almost a month now and i just want them to go away.
Thanks,
Julia
Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Julia- It's just a stupid movie!!! There is no way it can hurt you!!!
Perhaps there is something more to your anxiety than this movie. Have you spoken with a doctor?
Maybe you could try taking a walk and focusing on nature or something that will take your mind off of these obsessed thoughts. Call a friend, go to lunch, dance to some music... Anything - just take your mind to a pleasant place. And above all BREATH.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR and to our mental health forum. Good to see a new face.

I have not been able to watch horror movies since I was a small child. I have enough nightmares without adding to them with something hollywood made up. I used to sleep with a hunting knife on the headboard of my bed I was so afraid at night. If I had not been afraid to buy a gun because of my suicidal tendancies when depressed and anxious I would have slept with a loaded gun there. Thank God, I didn't keep a gun in the house though. The statistics show that a person is more likely to be shot with their own gun even if an intruder comes in than if they didn't have one in the first place. If you have nightmares I strongly suggest do not watch horror movies. It only makes them worse. Although in our logic mind we know that they are just made up, fake, things it can still leave us feeling scared, frightened, unsafe, and alone inside. You are definately not alone in these feelings. Do remember they will pass. Try going for a walk, read a book, exercising, something to distract your mind and give it time to let it fade. Hang in there although it doesn't feel like it right now, this too shall pass. No more scary movies though please.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello Julia and welcome to SR

Try watching something else like a Disney movie to get your thoughts off of it or try some reading or prayer.
I know that when something bothers me from a movie, it does pass with time.
Know that it will pass and know that you are not alone.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

:praying what just happened to you was that u expossed ur my mind and spirit to and evil subject I know because some people could sit there through the hall movie and they will b like nothing and there are those who are too sensetive to that paranormal world i for instance cant not wash those type of movies or any scary movies it effects my soul we are spiritual beings living spiritual experience if u are too sensetive for that world I sugest u dont wash it when that movie came out I was 10 yrs old and my cousin was 6 and he had to be taking to the hospital for obbservation just get on your knees and pray and call on GOD he is the deffender of the earth from any nagetive forces just pray.bless&b-bless
Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Lucy,

One technique that I have worked on is realizing that there are many aspects of who you are. There is the woman who is nurturing and maternal and who has control over her domain. Then there is the little girl who is prone to fear and anxiety.

When you feel that irrational fear coming on you need to comfort your inner child, as you would your own child. Imagine yourself as a child and tell yourself all the things that a rational adult would. You do have the ability to comfort yourself and calm your fears. It may feel strange at first but after a while you will realize that as a woman we are granted the natural powers of comfort. Good luck dear and do yourself a favor; avoid those negative images, there is no point in exposing yourself to something that has an adverse effect on your life.
:ghug
Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, Gwen. Glad you are here.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My mother brought me to see the Exorcist when I was 11 or 12. I've never been the same since.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't blame you. The movie was about an exorcism, and to me, that is just what a panic attack feels like, out of control, out of body... but sweetheart, look at it for what it is... it was a movie, with actors, actresses, make-up, lighting... I don't know it if will make it worse but here is what I would do because I constantly get panic attacks...

Go and look up the actors and actresses that are in the movie, google them, look at their pictures in other movies, look how different they look in different parts, tell yourself, that this is just a movie you watched, and art form, and it is only to entertain. I forget the movie, but didn't it have a somewhat nice ending? She had a choice, she was in control to make a decision, and I think she chose her family... just as you have a choice to let this panic control you, or are you going to control it. Believe me, we are much stronger then a panic attack and we have the power to control it. It will all pass.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been there dear. Those movies scare the bejeebus out of me and I cannot even watch them. I tried to watch the first part of this one and I couldn't do it. I couldn't put myself through it. I watched the exorcist at a young age and it royally screwed with my head. I slept with my mom for months it seems (dad wasn't home anyways).

I hope you are feeling better and have found ways to keep your mind off of it.

Welcome to SR
Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wanted to add that any movie pertaining to demon possession or something of the sort and bad thunderstorms cause me to go into a full panic attack. I pace the floors and I cannot breathe. It's scary.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I hope you are feeling better now.