Al anon meetings?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Al anon meetings?

Hi guys,
Is there anybody from South Africa on here that knows about these meetings?

I got hold of a number for someone in Johannesburg, but that's too far for me (won't be able to get there) - apparently there's one here in Waverlei (Pretoria), but they're not allowed to give numbers out since some punks made lots of prank calls there...or is this mainly overseas....am I confusing you guys with unknown names of places? :sorry

I've convinced my highly rebellious brother to join me there (couldn't believe it, but hey, I'm not complaining - now I just need to find a place to go to for some help)

Last night was better than the previous.....when I got home my dad was once again passed out. He did call us to his room to tell us it's our fault that he is what he is, but that's about it.

By the way - thank you to everybody that have responded (or will :bounce)
I was introduced to this site this week only, but already I look forward to read and share with ppl that understand. You guys really make it better - I don't think you know how much so!!!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Hi Laan,
I'm glad last night was a little better for you. I think thats great you're looking to go to Al Anon. I found this website, hopefully it will help you contact a meeting in your area.

Alanon Web Site

Good luck and take care!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot - gonna check it out now....
Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Last night was better than the previous.....when I got home my dad was once again passed out. He did call us to his room to tell us it's our fault that he is what he is, but that's about it.
Glad to hear that it was "better" and you know that this is not your fault! Keep saying that to yourself-

Also glad to see that you will both be checking out an Al-Anon meeting-I know it helped me a lot-and I wish I had done it when I was your age. However I'm grateful for what I have learned even today!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Laan,

I went to my first Al-Anon meeting last night. I was terrified, but somehow I went.

I cold not believe how normal everyone was. I was expecting to see little green people with 3 heads. However, I saw people just like me. Educated women, retirees, parents of alcoholics/SA, stay at home moms, wives and husbands of alcoholics, recovering SA/alcoholics, brothers/sisters of SA/alcoholics, children of alcoholics, etc.

I was amazed. I enjoyed feeling like I was not alone because sometimes I feel like I am the only one with my problems.

The ONLY thing I didn't care for is that I felt it was a tad bit religious. They ended the meeting by holding hands and reciting the Lord's Prayer. I was slightly uncomfortable with that.

Overall, it was great and I am sure I will go again. I have been thinking about the topics discussed today and they applied not only towards by AH but at work also.

Rene
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I've found a place - I'm actually terrified to go, but it's better than sitting stressing like this....thanx guys!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Laan View Post
Well, I've found a place - I'm actually terrified to go, but it's better than sitting stressing like this....thanx guys!
What you will find at meetings...

People who understand because they have or are in your shoes.
People who care.
People with support.
People with answers.
People who have been stressing before they walked into their first meeting.

Know that as you walk through the doors, you are among some of the nicest people in the world.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iluvmyminpins View Post
The ONLY thing I didn't care for is that I felt it was a tad bit religious. They ended the meeting by holding hands and reciting the Lord's Prayer. I was slightly uncomfortable with that.
This was an issue for me, too. I think it negates the statement "we are not religious, we are spiritual." I've also come to understand that each meeting has the right, if agreed to in a group conscience, to recite any prayer they would like. I have the right to attend or not.

At the meetings I wanted to stay with, I finally worked something out on this. Sometimes, I do not recite the prayer, but I join the circle. While everyone else says the prayer, I say in my head the serenity prayer 3-4 times. Other times, I sit the prayer out. Finally, I sometimes leave the meeting. That's 3 choices right there; I could make another choice - to never go to another Al Anon meeting because they recite the prayer at the end - that doesn't work for me.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

DONT U WORRY DEAR: GOD CAN TAKE CARE OF PEOPLE FAR BETTER OF THAN U AND I CAN U WILL B ALRIGHT JUST BELIEVE,GOD BLESS U AND U'R LOVE ONES.:praying
Old 03-29-2008, 02:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

I think I'd probably be fine - it might be a bit awkward with prayer circles and so (alos makes me a little uncomfortable), but I think I can deal with it....it's my brother I'm worried about.

He said he'd join me, but he doesn't really want to....well, going might just be the first step - I'm just worried that this whole thing in our home has turned him into something he wouldn't have been before - he has so much anger....lets hope it works out....
Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I thought I'd just add this; it may help you find Alanon in your area (Pretoria, yeh?) .....

I have what I like to call my Little Red Book (no, not Chairman Mao's, but the first 164 pgs of AA's Big Book.....lol), and in the back there are phone numbers for AA Intergroups around the world.....even though they're AA, they should be able to help you find some Alanon groups close to you.

Now remember, this book is about 20 years old, but the number listed is.......: 27-12-3226047. If this number is incorrect, or outdated, just look up the number in your local phone book (?), or through 'information' (?)....just remember.....: AA Intergroup for Pretoria.....

I hope this helps, for you and your whole family..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hey there - no it's 100%

its also one of the numbers i eventually found after searching high and low...they've moved, but luckily left a message with another number to call...

thank you SO much
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here's another list to check out:

Alanon Web Site

Then on the LEFT side of the page click on Meetings. It gives a whole bunch of information for various areas of South Africa.

Hope this helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi,
I came across your message on another thread today. As I live in Jo'burg, I got curious when I read that you are from PTA and read a few of your stories.

I am sorry and obviously concerned about your safety and hope you are fine and getting help!

Did you find the right Alanon meeting? I tried one but was not 100% happy but will go to others a bit further from me and heard they are better. But it is really important to go.

Should you not get right you can also attend OPEN AA meetings in meanwhile perhaps just to get help and information.

For more info for you and should he eventually be ready for rehab, there is a site putting a few addresses and infos together stellafrica.co.za though it is mainly for drug-addiction (not much different for rehab options) and then there is SANCA which should be able to help sancanational.org.za (just add the www before, I can't post links yet)

Take care of your self and be safe
Contact me directly if you want!