Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When do you start feeling motivated and get energy after quitting?

Notices

Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my main reason to quit besides being an idiot when I'm drunk (I have problems with burning bridges since I think alcohol is all I need and I don't need anybody else).

This is just great right when I decide to quit alcohol I'm now self-employed. When I decided to quit in December (still drank on weekends) I used the weekdays as an excuse to not drink since I can't drink at work due to hangovers. Well, now I'm self-employed so it's even harder to not drink.

The problem is that alcohol has completely destroyed my motivation.

Even though I'm technically self-employed, I'm stuck in what feels to be this force field around me which keeps me from doing any work. I just waste time or put in small amounts of work. I'm not trying to improve my business. I don't have any energy.

I'm going to try this time to not drink even on the weekends, I hope I can do it but, it's much harder now since after I quit and thought I'm "ok" with not drinking on the weekdays that when I do drink on the weekends, I started doing shots of hard liquor now along with beer. Just drinking until I blackout. I now found that I even like blacking out.

Sorry for all the rambling but, are there any vitamins anybody could recommend or something I could drink that can give me energy (I would really prefer a drink so I can substitute it from alcohol. Since, I'm in this habit of just wanting to drink something while I'm listening to music or working.

I tried some energy supplement (exercise) drinks which I liked but they ended up being placebo effects.

I think being drunk so much makes all other supplements feel "weak". If that makes sense.

I would just like my natural energy to come back, I used to have so much energy I used to stay up all night on my computer just messing around and since I started drinking alcohol, I don't want to do any work. I have an opportunity to make something of myself and I'm not "seizing the day".

My father has already kicked me out of the family business since I would act like a dumbass at the business. I didn't know I started shaking really bad, they didn't know it was from alcohol and I was so gone that I didn't even realize it and thought they were the ones that were wrong for not accepting me. Now my entire future is completely destroyed and only have this one thing left to save me but, it's going to be much harder and require much more work than what I'm doing currently.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your natural energy will likely come back if you stop drinking. I don't think there is any drink that is going to give you the energy that you are seeking. I think it needs to come from living a sober life and taking care of yourself.

It also sounds like you are somewhat depressed and that could be as a result of drinking. Alcohol is a depressant and you might find your energy and mood improve when you are sober.

I would say that your future is not destroyed. Your future is what you will build upon, with each sober day. And, yes it's very hard to stop drinking and stay sober, and it takes working at every day. But, you can do it.