Forum Moderation

Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Forum Moderation

When I moderate a forum I use the forum rules. When I read a post I compare it to the forum rules. If it's not against the rules I don't interfere.

This protects you from my personal opinions or reactions to a post. If I know I am reacting to a post I bring it to the other moderators for an opinion so I know I'm not moderating from a personal reaction.

This forum is an open forum and all members are able to post here. The threads you start are the topics that are open for discussion. I can't moderate a forum based on what you see as a hidden agenda. I have to use the words posted.

It seems we get the most posts when the topics are controversial. Everyone seems to show up for those topics. It would really help if you started more threads on positive secular recovery topics.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks MG.

I'm uncomfortable about people calling indignantly for threads to be closed, or people kicked out or otherwise silenced. If people don't like what someone is saying, they can always ignore it, or use the "Ignore" function so they don't see their contribution.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hate closing threads, but I don't know what else I can do when they turn into a flame war.

This is a good definition of flaming.

Flaming usually occurs in the social context of a discussion board, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) or even through e-mail. An Internet user typically generates a flame response to other posts or users posting on a site, and such a response is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others. Sometimes, flamers attempt to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority over other users. Other times, a flamer is simply an individual who believes he or she carries the only valid opinion. This leads him or her to personally attack those who disagree. Occasionally, flamers wish to upset and offend other members of the forum, in which case they can be called "trolls". Most often however, flames are angry or insulting messages transmitted by people who have strong feelings about a subject.

Respectful disagreements are disagreements that still allow the other person their own opinion. Discussions are showing an interest in understanding why another feels a certain way. We listen intently as they explain themselves and are free to admit any error in our own ways of thinking. A discussion is a cooperative effort and seeks resolution resulting in a peaceful end even when there are disagreements. Discussions help all to gain a better understanding of both sides of the issue.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
I hate closing threads, but I don't know what else I can do when they turn into a flame war.
I appreciate that, and I wasn't talking about how threads are moderated, but about people on threads going "Eeek! Someone I disagree with! Kick them out!" Anyway, nuff said.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is sad that two threads had to be closed on this forum. I asked a few simple questions about some of the activities of those in secular recovery which were really never answered. Instead, I got bashed just because posted, not the content of my posts. Strange indeed............I see people that come into the program of AA that really have trouble with the concept of a Higher Power. I sponsor some that feel this way, and I was just looking for some answers that might help in giving them daily strength. I did see where some said that excercise and reading novels, helped. That is not much information to take to someone who is new to recovery. Thank you for continuing to allow me to post in this forum. I will continue to read the posts here, but refrain from unnecessary posting.

Thanks for letting me share...............toad
Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take back the banning people comment I made and I agree that people should be able to have their say however there is a difference between having your say and instigating provocation in the way one writes their posts.

Some people may think they are being clever in the way their questions are posed and they may think it is very innocent looking but it is very clear it is not. I can see right through those posts. I did not know you could ignore someone on here otherwise I would have done just that instead of making the banning comment. I have started my ignore list.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Toad, I replied to your post in some detail. If you missed it, shoot me a PM and I'll reply in more detail. I always encourage people to find the recovery that works for them, whether it be therapy, SOS/LifeRing/SMART/AA.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anyone is free to add anyone to their ignore list for any reason.

I've been on troll patrol around here for many years. You were pegged for a troll by about 10 people Sekular on your first couple of posts. I did not think you were a troll because I've learned to spot them pretty quickly.

Also when I look at Toad's post I see someone who is curious and someone who is trying to be tolerant of other's beliefs.

Even when I know someone is a troll I wait to see the proof before taking any action or making any accusations.

I have seen a few posts on this forum with subtle ulterior motives, but they were pretty harmless and easy to pass over. I've learned that there will ALWAYS be posts that instigate. There will always be trolls and those coming in with outside agendas. I've been called every name in the book. I used to react strongly to it all, but the lesson I learned was to just move on and I usually don't react to it anymore. If I have a reaction I look within to see why and ask others for opinions to see if they see the same thing.

Members have had some reactions to some of the posts recently. I deal with some pretty difficult people in my personal business. Even when I know they are dead wrong I always have to ask myself if I'm being a part of the problem or a part of the solution. It always works best for all involved to be a part of the solution.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

your doing a good job.....one that i would not want