Notices

I slipped up

Old 03-25-2008, 03:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I slipped up

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry, I've messed up a bit.

I was doing quite well - I had 6 days without a drink, from Tuesday last week up to Sunday. This was a record for me. As the 6 days progressed, I could see all the benefits of not drinking - no hangovers, able to get up on time to get to work, feeling more self-respect, and many more. But I also had terrible withdrawal symptoms - including a lot of anger (not sure where that came from) and even feeling out of breath (not sure why that should be?)

Then, yesterday (Monday) a friend really upset me and I collapsed, and had a drink to ease to pain, which was a disaster. Now I'm really fed up with myself. I've got to find some other way of dealing with stress other than alcohol.

I'll start again from today.

Sorry, I feel such a failure

PB

Old 03-25-2008, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up about it. Mnay of us have had slps in our quest for sobriety. I couldn't even begin to count how many I've had.
You're trying and that's what's important.

Pick yourself up and start anew. Some people never make it back.

Take care!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

a. you made it to day 6 (I can't remember the last time I made it that far)
b. you came back here, and you're still willing to do something about it
c. that will do the trick for now
Old 03-25-2008, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love that little saying up there......"Just because the monkey is off your back doesnt mean the circus has left town"

:ghug3

Just keep coming back friend.......just keep coming back.
And STOP kicking yourself. I think of shame and regret as an old heavy winter coat that keeps me from enjoying today.
Take your coat off and stay awhile. :ghug3
Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

If you are still trying you are not a failure!

The only way I found to stay stopped was to become willing to do what ever it took to stay stopped.

For many years I tried stopping my way, my way was to simply not drink! That makes perfect sense, if you want to stop drinking, just stop!!! Well my way sucked, it took me a lot of years to figure out that my way did not work! It was at this point that I decided since my way did not work I needed to try someone elses way that had stay stopped and I was willing to do what ever they did to stay stopped.

What I found out was the way to stay stopped involved a lot more then just not drinking, it involved change!!! Changing myself!!! Not into a different person, but back into the person I used to be before I drank, a better person. I found that change in the program of AA, there are other programs as well as AA, all of them involve change.

Find a way of change, be willing to do what ever it takes to stay stopped.

Take everything you did to not drink for those 6 days and keep them, then work on finding out what you did or did not do that led to you drinking again.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dust yourself off, pick yourself up and please don't beat yourself up.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I slipped up too. AFter 11 days I gave in to impulse and depression and got drunk. Now I too have to start all over. I keep telling myself that I won't drink today and today is all I have right now. I'm trying not to beat myself up but it's hard, isn't it? AFter so much sober time, after such a good start. But we have to take as we get it - one day at a time.:praying:ghug3
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

PB & least, what is done os done. We can not change what has happened and letting it upset you does not make it better. What we can do is not drink today. Most have slipped, many got back up, some never do, by coming here you prove that you are willing to get back up and try again. All we can ask of ourself is to keep trying and learn from our mistakes. Glad to see the two of you decided to keep trying.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks so much to all of you for all your help, encouragement and good advice - it means alot. I'm not going to drink today.

I've been to my first AA meeting - I was nervous, but I did it!

PB
Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for going to your first meeting! how was it?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by PaddingtonBear View Post
Music to my ears. I hope you continue to attend AA. Life will get better, it really does work.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks for your post - the AA meeting was wonderful! I got lots of good, helpful points, including really good advice from the people sitting either side of me, who had both attended AA (and been sober) for several years. I especially liked this one - if you want to halt your drinking, remember what the word "halt" stands for : never allow yourself to become Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired - this was good advice for me personally anyway, as my drinking has so often been in response to one or more of those 4 feelings. I want to go to another meeting! PB
Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad it went well PB, keep positive and best wishes.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by PaddingtonBear View Post
I especially liked this one - if you want to halt your drinking, remember what the word "halt" stands for : never allow yourself to become Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired
I've heard that SLIP stands for Sobriety Loses Its Priority. That's why my sobriety and program of recovery come before anything else. As long as I do the footwork on my recovery, the rest of life just falls into place.

I try to make it to a meeting every night, some nights my children go with me. And after three years, I still enjoy them every time I go.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like HALT too. I am glad you liked your meeting. Now you need a sponsor! (hint hint)
Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's awsome!!! I remember how nervous I was walking into my first meeting. Funny thing once I got in and sat down I suddenly felt at peace with the situation, like I was meant to be there. LOL I'm happy for you. I'm glad it went well.