Notices

Choosing a meeting

Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Choosing a meeting

I have decided to go to a meeting. Talking to wife tomorrow, maybe tonight if she's still up when I get home. As I search for meetings online, there are all these acronyms, e.g. part, WS, SS, Spk., some have none. I know what they mean, but which are for me? I know no WS (Women's Stag) what exactly is a MS (Men's Stag). At a spk (speaker meeting) do I need to talk? I was wondering which one a newbie should try. The only Beg. (Beginners) meeting I see is on a Sat. afternoon, and that's many days from now. I have had this list printed out for almost 2 years now. I'm trying to act upon it, but I wanted some advice first. I am very nervous about this, but if the people are anything like the people here, I know I'll be OK. I tried an AA meeting once while in college, the guy I met at the meeting was militant (no relationships, no sex, read the book every night, etc, etc, etc). I was turned off, and this was about 6 years ago. My dad also thought I was over-reacting to what he called "normal college life" (This from an AA for 20+ years at that point.)Anyways, any advice, help, etc would be great. How did you get to your first meeting?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi oddman,

The judge ordered me to my first meeting. Fifteen years later I went back and took it a lot more serious.

There are 12 steps and 12 traditions. The steps are for individual recovery the traditions are what keep the groups functioning.

I say this because when I got started I concentrated on the traditions. The third...."The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking." I clung onto that one

and tradition twelve...."Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all are traditions ever reminding us to place principles before personalities."

Tradition 12 helped me realize that I may not agree with everyone at the meeting and I may not even like everyone at the meeting. I had to rely on the principles not the personalities. I couldn't let anyone put me off...

I meet all types of people at meetings, honestly it takes all types. The person you described as militant may be exactly the person someone else needs. Just keep an open mind and go to enough meetings and you will find good friends.

As for the acroynms, I'm not sure what WS and MS or SS is. I've never seen those around here (Ohio). S could be a step meeting? Women's step...etc. We have O (open to anyone) C (closed to alcoholics) L (lead speaker meeting) BB (big book) S (step) etc....

Good luck and Peace 2 U
Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure if this will be any help, but here are the acronyms on local AA website:

OD = Open Discussion
CD = Closed Discussion
OS = Open Speaker
NS = Non Smoking
SM = Smoking
ABSI = As Bill Sees It

12 + 12 = 12 Step Study
BB = Big Book Study
BG = Beginners
ST = Study
E = Eating
HA= Wheelchair Accessible
WP = Women predominate
MP = Men Predominate
YPCD = Young People Closed Discussion

good luck
Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please go to this link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

It has good information about meeting types.

BTW...your list may be out of date
as to what meetings are still active.

Look in your local phone book
and call the number there for current info.

Glad to see you are trying to move forward
Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Glad to see your gonna go to a Meeting.

AA/NA are a big part of my Recovery Program.

As a newcomer, any meeting is great for you to go to. I suggest trying each one at least twice and get a feel for what you are the most comfortable with.

I have no idea if the abbreviations are the same everywhere. Never looked at a meeting schedule anywhere but here in the Dayton, Ohio area. Here's our abbreviations.

Speaker - That's what's also called a Lead Meeting. Someone tells their story so to speak. These are great to listen to what other people went through in their addiction and how they got clean and sober.

OD - Open Discussion. This is for not only alcoholics and addicts but also for their families, friends, any one who is just curious. Sometimes a med student will come to a meeting. People attending the meeting will bring up a topic that they are having trouble with or sometimes things like Gratitude are discussed.

CD - Closed Discussion. We ask that only those in Recovery attend

Step - One of the 12 Steps is Discussed

CC - Chairman's choice. The person who is "chairing" the meeting can choose if they want a discussion, have a lead, whatever

BB - Big Book Meeting. The Big Book Text is read in parts and discussed.

In Dayton, we have several clubs that have their abbreviation after the type of meeting. Example, if the club Alco Aides has a closed discussion, it will have C-D-Ala. If Southside has an open discussion, it will say O-D SS.

And no, you don't have to speak at any meeting at all. It is asked that you introduce yourself, first name only if that's what the group does at that meeting. Some meetings are so big that it would take too long for everyone to introduce themselves.

Like I said, it's a good idea to try different meetings. They all have different themes so to speak but the general idea is the same.

We are alcoholics and our lives are unmanageable.

People at meetings are very much like on here. Except there are hugs and lots of phone numbers passed around to give you help 24/7 when you need someone to talk to.

God Bless You on Your Journey!

Judy
Old 03-25-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got to my first meeting by deciding I was sick and tired of being sick and tired......and Im fortunate enough to live in a city large enough that has at least 2 meetings every day. I simply picked the one closest to home.

Then I made a commitment to try them ALL at least once.
Im now working on finding a home group....the meeting where I feel most at home. Although each room I enter is full of people just like me and in a certain sense already feel like family.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

oddman the best thing to do is call your locall AA hotline, some of the abreviations you mentioned I am not familiar with. The person who answers the Hotline will be a recovered alcoholic and I can assure you will be more then happy to answer any questions you have and give you up to date info on all the meetings in your area.

Just go and listen with an open mind, listen for similarities and not differences. We are all different, but we do share a common problem we can all relate to.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Oddman View Post
I tried an AA meeting once while in college, the guy I met at the meeting was militant (no relationships, no sex, read the book every night, etc, etc, etc). I was turned off, and this was about 6 years ago. My dad also thought I was over-reacting to what he called "normal college life" (This from an AA for 20+ years at that point.)Anyways, any advice, help, etc would be great. How did you get to your first meeting?
I had a similar experience. An aggressive AA member (nice guy though) told me 90 meetings in 90 days, no excuses, program won't work unless I do this. For me, it was a real turn-off (works for others though I'm sure). After my first 3+ months in AA, I find that people approach meetings in ways that work best for them. You will likely meet all kinds of different people at meetings - "militant", easy going, keep it simple etc. Different stages of recovery, step work. What you hear from one person will not represent the entire AA program. Listen. Talk to people. Asking questions here is great. In retrospect, I wish I would have done the same.

For my first meeting, I called the AA hotline, went for coffee with the gentleman I eventually talked to, and he met me at the door of an AA meeting the following night. BTW, he is my sponsor now (bit militant but then I need a kick in the a** every now & then !). Best wishes! D