Notices

Antabuse

Old 03-24-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried this preventitive medication. I was on it last month and loved the idea that if I "slipped" I would be violently ill!! It was quite a deterrent for me! However....I was feeling nauseaous ALL the time. I was very careful about foods and perfumes and mouthwash - but as I read the labels of all my body lotions and even my toothpaste there is some kind of alcohol in everything! I ran out of my Rx two days ago and my stomach feels much better. I'm not tempted to drink so that is not a concern (right now), but I was glad to have found another way to help me commit to sobriety....for me taking something in the morning when my resolve was strong and knowing it would prevent me from picking up for one more day was a nice management tool.

Please let me know if anyone else has some experience with thie med!

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know only what I have read about Antabuse - and I'm pretty sure it was banned here in Canada not too long ago. I do know folks who drank while taking it. And yes they got violently ill. Seems that wasn't enough of a deterrent for some ...
Old 03-24-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The only reaction I had from Antabuse
was when I drank with it.

Violently ill? Definately.

What has your doctor suggested?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been considering Antabuse myself. Where I live the pharmacist has to make it. And it's hard to find. But I recently made a contact that could make it for me. I just need the prescription. I think in my case it would a good deterrent. Though I am afarid of side effects..
but if I think about what drinking does to me... it might be a good idea for me to just take it for a year...
Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From what I've heard it seems like a good detterent (sp?) For someone who has good will power in the morning....
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!

The doctor who prescribed it told me there were usually no side effects...yet after not taking it for a few days my stomach is much better. I think the most important thing I learned last month while taking the antabuse was that when I did experience a late day cravign I told myself "you will be violently ill" and I never was tempted to drink. Now if only I can keep telling myself that, even without the antabuse. The violently ill will be different, but the out come of my drinking was always unpredictable and sick in a different, but definite way....