Dating...again

Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dating...again

Oh poop.

Thats the best I can say at the moment.

I want to date...am on match.com, went "hunting" for non drinking men there, found a guy whose profile was speckeled with spiritual sayings....seemed like a cool guy. We email, says he has read the 12 and 12 of AA etc.

I tell him I attend both fellowships, and isnt it neat we find each other as both recovering people....then he tells me he has 19 years sober, but has not attended AA for 12 years. Attended diligently for 7 years, then "Moved on".

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh...RED FLAG ALERT!!

Dang,,,,and he was 6'3 tall!!

Sigh.....
Old 03-23-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LOL I know what you mean, Miss Pink. I joined lavalife.com and had my own red flag experiences - but I lucked out. The ONE guy I decided was worth meeting in person - we celebrated 3 months yesterday. He's a drinker, but a normal one. He is very supportive and understanding about my recovery which is cool.
Let us know how you make out - happy hunting!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've had more than my share of online dating disasters, and the more I talk to people, the more great material I gather!

My Al Anon angel sponsor used to tell me that I had one half of the velcro and As had the other half. I consider it my own personal GPS. If there is one out there, I'll find him. I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame. I've worked for them, I've dated them, I've married them... I've struck up conversations on an airplane with them. I read and re-read my profile on match.com to see where it said "HEY A's - I'm here and I'm all ready to help you with your issues!"

Trust me, you're not alone. LOL

I have been dating Norm for over a year now, although it's been rocky. He drinks, but it appears to be socially only and he doesn't seem to have A traits... many of our problems come from my codependent nature.

Good luck - it's not easy putting yourself back out there to find a partner.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not ready to start dating, but I'm already freaking out about all the unhealthy men I will meet. It doesn't seem to matter where you meet them either. I met my xabf on eHarmony. Every time the commercial comes on and that Neil Clark Warren starts saying..."Find the love..." I change the channel before he can even finish the sentence. LOL! I wonder in looking at all the happy couples how many of them are lying. They should do a commercial that says "We are not responsible for all the alcoholic liars on our site. Decide if that A is the love of your life at your own risk."

Oddly, I live in a huge city and I think online dating is a great place to go, but I wish they had a site for non-addicts and recovering codies. That would be heaven!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I, personally, would not find it a red flag if someone attended AA for 7 years and "moved on." Maybe he has found something that works better for him. I learn something every day from people who have different ways of doing things than I do. As long as their values are in line with mine, how they practice those values in their life can really give me another perspective on things. For me it would be similar to getting to know someone who practices a different religion. The guy I'm currently dating doesn't believe in "recovery" for codependence the same way I do. And I have learned much from his approach to the unhealthy traits he deals with in himself.

Then again, that's just me. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

L
Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My experience with men who had long term sobriety in AA (7 years is long) and then left....is dry drunk disaster.

If I dont learn from past lessons, and repeat the same mistakes, I am insane. Not even going to dip my toe in the water.

I have neverm ever seen an AA leave the fellowship and live a sucessful, emoitonally and spirutally well life, and Ive been around long time.

If it works for him, great....but my belief system in that regard is sound enough for me.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

It doesn't matter to me if someone claims to have "moved on" and no longer needs to attend AA. It's still a red flag to me. Though I've met many wonderful recovering addicts on SR, I do not want to enter into a relationship with one. I know how fragile Richard was as a recovering alcoholic and I know how fragile I am as a recovering co-dependent. The pull to return to old behaviors is never far from the surface. I have to work diligently to keep my shortcomings at bay in the same way I have to work diligently to keep from regaining the weight I've worked so hard to lose.

Recovered or not, I can't risk a failure on the part of my next partner. And, more than that, I can't risk a failure on my part. For me, personally, any addict--past or present--is waving a big red flag for ME. I agree with you, Miss Pink, I would have walked away from him, too.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I meet healthy and no so healthy men all the time. I wish Minnie were here to tell you the one who greets me nearly every day, carrying his big red flag with him LOL!!! I'd never get involved with him, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy our banter.

What I would worry more for myself is do I view every "date" as a potential long time relationship? I would not eliminate someone from my circle based on Ms. Pink's original description. Someone with 12 years of sobriety without AA is impressive. Yes, I know about relapse and I think it's important for each and every person to decide what they want in their life.

Like any relationship, I think time tells the story. Over time, I would learn more about this man, etc. No harm, no foul if I continued to date other men, too.

There are no guarantees in life and I risk failure every day. I don't know any other way that brings me as much joy.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess we each have our own hang-ups. For me it was anyone who listed his Harley as one of his main interests, lol. Not so much that I have something against bikers, just that I have absolutely zero desire to get on the back of one of those things.:rof

L
Old 03-23-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LaTeeDa, I like what you said about the man you are with not believing in recovery from codependence the same way that you do - that has been my experience, also. I am heavily 'into' my own recovery, and my partner has zero experience in this field. As such, I find his own ways of dealing with undesirable traits and behaviour commendable. I have learned a lot from him just by being open-minded.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Apparently, I cannot pick them either. I had met someone who is in the program over the summer and we had kept in touch. We sent email and finally got to a couple of phone calls. I had been sure to say that communication for me is absolutely key. This person had repeatedly not called when she said she absolutley would and I should have known if was not going well. We did finally talk several days in a row and we had already discussed getting together in the city. We seemed to have so much in common. The day before we were supposed to get together she sent an email saying she had been in bed all day w a sinus infection no call. (that she has had for 2 weeks- could have mentioned it ?????) Promises to call on saturday anyway whether she was feeling better or not. No call all weekend. I have reached the point of frustration with the lack of communication, being simply blown off. Im not perfect but I firmly believe that a phone call is not that hard to make and that I deserve better. I didnt have to drink over it but it sure crossed my mind. I have been really bummed out and isolating all weekend. I guess Im just not ready and this isnt one I want to deal with. It sucks being single.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

To me it seems that I have become very aware of people and their drinking habits. I think it has to do with me being a Codie and going through two failed relationships with two alcoholic men, that I have noticed there are quite a few people that have addiction issues out there. I have been in so many different social circles and yet I see a lot of people with drinking issues. A LOT!

I think since alcohol is so socially accetable that its not as easy to spot someone with a problem. I have had two bosses that were A's. Several friends, and aquanitences.

Sort of a scary thought if and when I decide to date again.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Like any relationship, I think time tells the story. Over time, I would learn more about this man
That may be true, but I find that if I spend enough time with any potential partner--healthy or otherwise--that I tend to become emotionally attached. And once that attachment is there, it's hard for me to think with my head once my heart takes over.

For me, it's best to avoid addicts of all kinds--recovered or not--because of my shortcomings, not theirs.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sister of Alcoholic

I met my husband online...the first and only person I contacted after I ran a personal ad...we've been together for five years, married for 5 months...so IMO, you can meet someone worthy online! Don't let one bad experience deter you from trying again...but don't lower your standards and watch out for those red flags!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not ready to start dating, but I'm already freaking out about all the unhealthy men I will meet. It doesn't seem to matter where you meet them either. I met my xabf on eHarmony. Every time the commercial comes on and that Neil Clark Warren starts saying..."Find the love..." I change the channel before he can even finish the sentence.
NYC chick I think that you should eventually give eharmony a second chance. I mean the people on these sites are human beings so you are always going to come across issues but maybe next time you will know how to notice the red flags. I do believe that these sites work but just like dating you sometimes strike out.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

"There are no guarantees in life and I risk failure every day. I don't know any other way that brings me as much joy."

Denny - thanks, I love this line!! I like to keep a list of quotes that are inspirational, or helpful, just to go back to from time to time. This is definitely going on the list!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Sober 19 yrs. sounds optimistic.
There must be a lot more to know about this man. Maybe you are can talk a while longer and determine more. You've made a quick judgement or assumption here and may be missing an opportunity...or not.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am trying out a couple of on-line dating sites. It is kind of scary, but I think good for me at the same time. I am realizing how much a fear rejection. As I correspond with my "matches" it is becoming good practice for me to remember to BE MYSELF, and not try to be what I think other people want me to be. I am enjoying the opportunity of getting to know new people (from a safe distance, so far). I have been able to appreciate that someone made the effort to get to know me; and be happy that they made me laugh, smile, or think about the world in a different way.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So listen to what my sponser says...............

"Dont Judge!"

says I should give the guy a chance.....if he has a spiritual basis and his actions match his words, give him a try. (Like playing a banjo before ya buy it?).

I dunno...I wrote him back an email just chit chatting, have not heard from him yet...After all, here on SR, in the alcoholism forum, they do suggest there are other programs people use to stay sober....(Holy God...I feel like Im minimizing....LOL) Maybe I need a new sponsor...one who agrees with me?? ya ya, thats the solution!

We will see. I know what red flags look like....and hey, if nothing else....maybe I'll get to have a one night stand! Whoopie!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Miss Pink,
I think you should go with what you feel most comfortable with. In the end it's you thats got to date this guy.

Good luck!