Notices

here we go

Old 03-22-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

here we go

im jumping out from the dark side tomorrow - 3/23/08........been drinking vodka like tomorrow was a rumor for far to long now. Ive tried before, and failed obviously....But tomorrow Im digging in.....
I expect it wont be easy...I was wondering if someone could tell me what the next 2 weeks ae going to be like. What to expect mentally and physically. Day one, two and so on.....Im nervous, but excited my life may get alot better if I make it thru

thanks
doug
Old 03-22-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Doug and Welcome,

Have you checked with your dr? Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous. There is lots of support and information here, so keep reading and posting.

Here is a thread on quitting and what to expect:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Welcome! Life will be much better sober for you, dont do it alone.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Doug, good decision you are making. You are right it won't be easy, but it will be worth it. I just want to say welcome to you, my advice would be to take Anna's advice if you have been drinking vodka. Beer girl myself couldn't take liquor (unless I ran out of beer). Be kind to yourself.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks guys...Im gonna call my doctor monday - is she going to put me on something?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome!

You've taken a big step. Going to a doctor is a good move. I have no experience with detox, so I have no idea what she might recommend. I know of no particular medication.

I feel that everyone's withdrawal is individual. It depends on so many variables. For some it is a cakewald, for others it is hell.

I suggest that you look farther down the road. I think it likely that you will feel remarkably well in a month. A blip in time for such a huge change. If you really want it and are willing to do whatever it takes, you will succeed. If you are like most of us, the past hasn't actually been time spent in paradise. If vodka =death and withdrawal=life, is there much of a choice?

Check on the "two weeks and under" thread. It's very active. It will give you a good idea. I look forward to seeing you there.

warrens
Old 03-22-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

As you detox, remember this: You never have to go through this ever again. It is a matter of choice. Keep moving forward!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

can someone link me the 2 weeks and under forum..i cant find it
Old 03-22-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bigitem

It's not a forum, but a "thread" in THIS forum. Just scroll down to find it, or it may be on the next page, depending on the time of the last message. There are many pages to it. There is also a "3 months and under" thread that you might find interesting. It shows what to expect with some time under your belt.

Again, everyone is different to some degree. A lot has to do with other stuff people are facing in life. For some every day of new sobriety is a joy, for others it is brutal. I don't know that there is a way to predict. My first two days were tough, after that life just keeps getting better by the day. Rough spots here and there, but nothing compared to waking up after a night of drinking.

warrens
Old 03-22-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Please go see a doctor, I am in the health care field and wouldn't advise you to go through this without supervision, many docs give out anti seizure meds, just in case.

Please know that early sobriety, withdrawl, detox is not easy, but it is so worth it. It feels like a very, very bad case of the flu.

The first week or so is the toughest.......please be gentle with yourself, rest as much as you can, drink lots of water, eat protein and carbs to keep your sugar levels on an even keel, and stay away from candies, except in an emergency.....they make our cravings much worse.
Find a program that speaks to you, and attend meetings, face to face or online, reach out to others who have been there and are open to giving you support.

Know that sobriety is the best gift you will ever give yourself, but remember "baby steps"....it took us a while to get sick, it will take us a while to get better.

Do not , repeat, do not, slip, relapse, it is much harder to keep starting and stopping, than it is for complete abstinence....even though your mind will play tricks on you and tell you otherwise.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Good Luck to You

Seren
Old 03-22-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR -

I would say that the next couple of weeks will depend upon what your plan is.
For me, when I decided that I wanted to quit after non stop drinking for a long time, I had a plan of AA's daily, Intensive Outpatient 3 times a week. Not drinking was just part of it but I needed the support and network that is provided by AA and my IOP group.

I also detoxed at my parents house and the DT's do suck for a week (mine were a week but they vary from person to person depending upon length of use and other factors). Consulting a Dr. is a good idea and hopefully you are in an environment where you are not alone.

Good luck and keep posting!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome doug. Some good advice here

D
Old 03-22-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

I too think you need medical advice.
Since you will be calling on Monday
why not slow down but not quit abruptly?

Be both safe and soon sober!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to SR, Doug and Welcome to Life!

I think CarolD really said it. Don't suddenly stop until you get with your doctor. When you do see your doc, please be honest about the amount you have been drinking and also if there have been any other drugs used. These are two very important parts of getting you through a detox as safe and comfortable as possible. Minimizing your usage will only make it more difficult for you.

Just remember two simple things:

This too shall pass: The crappy way you'll be feeling in detox will pass. The rewards you'll receive and the amazing life that awaits you is so worth it.

One Day at a Time: Don't worry about tomorrow or the next day. Just concentrate on today. You don't want to overwhelm yourself with worrying about all of the tomorrows to come. Each day is a little easier than the one before it.

We'll be Praying for you. Please know that.

:ghug2
Old 03-22-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Originally Posted by lovingseren View Post
Please go see a doctor, I am in the health care field and wouldn't advise you to go through this without supervision, many docs give out anti seizure meds, just in case.
Yeah, those seizures are nasty. My roomate has had a couple. He fell through a glass coffee table after one and cracked his forehead open on a granite counter top after another. Stitches & all. Can't even imagine the mayhem that might ensue if one was behind the wheel during one. He still takes the meds & he's 'bout 90 days sober, safety!!

Yes, pease proceed into the withdrawl zone with caution as previously mentioned by other members. Happy detoxings and see ya on the other side.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Doug, welcome to the site and it's good that you will consult your doctor before stopping. From my experience, and I've gone thru it too many times since the first of the year, withdrawal was like a case of the very very bad flu. The first two or three days were awful but they DID come to an end. I'm glad I quit drinking. No longer wasting money on something that made me feel like dirt the next day. No longer having to hide my bottles or lie to my daughter. Don't know what, if anything, your doctor may give you to ease your withdrawal and make it safer. But do see a doctor. Detox can be dangerous. Glad you've decided to quit. Just take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. Best of luck to you.:praying
Old 03-23-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Doug
Old 03-23-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you are consulting your doctor. A friend of mine had a heart attack from alcohol withdrawl. He was in a rehab facility when it happened and taking medication to reduce withdrawl symptoms (can't remember what). Fortunately, he realized the warning signs and was taken to the hospital.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

24 hours in the books

and Im HUNGRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY..
You folks are great on here....Doing lotsa reading
Old 03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smithtown??? me too

Hey- Graduated Smithtown West in 1984....did a lot of drinking at the Hay Loft and other main street spots....crazy town