Notices

hypocrite @ SR

Old 03-22-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question hypocrite @ SR

hyp·o·crite /ˈhɪpəkrɪt/[hip-uh-krit] –noun

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

SoberRecovery community... I am not sober, i put my 2 cents in here n there to learn n to question the journey. A journey i'm accumulating strength to begin... as i grow thru all the good n bad things members have to share... i still drink... i know i'm strong enuff for this journey surely some of ur collective goodwill should empower me (which it does).

Now to paint the picture of were this is all coming from.... i came here a few days ago basicly just to save my sanity. there has been alot of turmoil in my life now for a number of mths... maybe even yrs. i've just recently became aware that my partner of less than 2 yrs has addiction and mental health probs.
this was an internet relationship, i moved 1000's of miles to have... the depth of my partners addiction n mental issues until recent has been well hidden. we have had a number of DV situations lately... this reflectes on my drinking... which has obviously increased with all the strain....

anyways cuttin it short....
my partner sees me sittin here @ SR, sometimes in tears, learn and growing n all that.
out of anger tonight he made a remark that struck deep... "yeah u drink while u go to SR" trailin of with something about it being the place i should be (n obviously not in his face).

so it struck deep that i'm a hypocrite... i think the last thread i posted showed obvious denial... its a 'journey' people say.... so what part of my journey am i at??? i sit here at SR... believing i'm reachin out but still with a beer in hand...

confused... lil help to understand?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're here, beginning your journey. Thats a good start. If we all got sober just by logging in, the servers would be overloaded will all the members!

Do whats best for you, lots of us here are still struggling to get it right, but lots of us are getting better with each day.

Stick around, and worry about whats good for YOU!

S
Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steve58 View Post
If we all got sober just by logging in, the servers would be overloaded will all the members!

S
lol if it was only so easy....
thanx... SR is good for me, why i am here.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

just knowing there might be a problem is huge conez...

keep that big toe in the water, you will do a cannonball in, when the pain is big enough...

the life perservers are always nearby...

just dont complain about the color of it! lol

good wishes conez, welcome to the family...

rz
Old 03-22-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank u RZ ur insight as cracked a faint smile. the headspace of my alcoholism and many issues at the moment is unclear.... i dwell here in hope there is light at the end of the tunnel (so to speak)
Old 03-22-2008, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

I used to sit on here drinking/drunk when I first joined, done that for a few weeks at least if I remember right - the encouragement and messages I received from people here helped me quit and stay quit - 5 months sober now, my longest spell of sobriety ever.

Stick around and keep posting, you'll get loads of encouragement and advice here. You're here and that's a big step forward!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

RK2007.... this is comforting to know....

as i'm sure i'm not the only one who has arrived here in this state.

congrats on ur sobriety n sharing that part of ur journey, thanx.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Maybe not hypocritical, maybe just not sure yet of what you want to do. Keep coming back. Keep posting your feelings. At some point you will realize what you want to do, or not do. Trust yourself.:ghug2
Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

(((Conez)))

I had been in and out of the Rooms of AA/NA and recovery ATTEMPTS for 25 years before I finally "got it"

I went to meetings, treatment centers, psychiatrists, psychologists, you name it I went there, higher than hell! I couldn't face admitting I had a problem without ingesting the cause of the problem! I would have went drunk but the smell of what I drank was way too obvious.

I have never met anyone that never picked up again the very first time they admitted they had a problem.

Don't kick yourself in the butt. Pat yourself on the back.

You have your car at the starting line on the Road to Recovery. You just need some guidance and help to finding the location of all the gas stations. Then remember, you will need to refuel your Sobriety while traveling on the Road. That's why we're here. We're a gas station. There are lots of other gas stations out there, meetings, Sponsors, individual counseling, . . . .

Keep posting! We've all been where you are right now.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

OH conez...I wouldnt call it being a hypocrite at all.
I have never came on here while getting high ..But that's only because I was ..Well too high to sit still long enough and really too high to even process basic motor skills to even turn the dang computer on. I wish I could have a few times. May have saved me from alot more destruction at those times.
If we all came here sober..Then what would be the point of this site?

Dont let anyone ever make you feel less than for reaching out. I personally dont care if your half hanging out of your chair typing here. If what you are is looking for some way to get some understanding..clarity..help..advice..anything to try to make sense out of this nasty disease some of us has. That's all that matters to me.
But that is just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

ummm... what's a DV situation?

actually...
I find I'm thinking more about your safety?
is there a reason that should be coming to mind?

I have yet to attend a meeting of alcoholics anonymous that doesn't announce
'the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking'....

.. and this .. is not AA.

there's TONS of people here who do exactly what you're doing.

not everyone can leap into the abyss.
not everyone ... has to.

Maybe post again failry soonly and let (me, at least) know you're safe, ok?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks least... just a point...

from an alkies mind,

i'd like to trust myself but with my track record of devastation (past choices gone bad) its a weee bit scarey to believe in myself... to be sure that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't just mislaid false hope. (with some sort of idea external things have negative effect on lifestyle, ie choosing to be/or not in an unhealthy relationship)

hoping that makes some sort of sense.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wow... reading all this is helping thank you

serenityQ just being here at SR posting is almost like getting a road map out...
u guys know what ur talkin about... altho each story is different its a path trodden before me... pointing out the gas stations, its my journey with out these lil pieces i'd be lost. glad i made it to SR...

chiynita thank u.... ur words help alot

barb thank u.... DV= domestic violence, thank u for ur concern, i'm safe tonight. think i need to get to a meeting... dunno if i can until easter wkend is over n kids are back at school... found a meeting approx 500 metres up the road just a lil scared to walk in the door... what to expect will come of it... (have attended AA for a spell of 6mths or so at age 16) at least here (@SR) i can run away....
Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Conez
I did the same for many months, in fact I was banned, probably still am LOL from the chat room for drunken behaviour! Something rubbed off though - through this and AA meetings (even when I'd go home and drink...) something stuck and I'm sober today and very grateful.
Keep coming back, the miracle does happen.
Cathy31
xxx
Old 03-22-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am concerned about the violence around you.

Please call a DV center and ask for local resources
Then make a escape plan just in case.

Prayers for your you and your loved ones
Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Conez

No, you are no hypocrite. People come here in all states of health and disease. If you are willing to start you have to start somewhere. Why not start while still drinking?

The hypocrites are the ones who are not here. Those still in denial, pretending that they are on top of things and life is just peachy.

Pull up a chair, drink or not, and join the community here. Work on getting your attitude adjusted. To being sober. Everyone here is adjusting to some degree, to life without alcohol/drugs. A lot of us are pretty dam* successful. Some aren't, but keep coming back. That takes guts. As long as they keep coming back and see recovery as a goal, that's a good thing.

Work on wanting and willingness. Sobriety takes both of those. Please keep yourself safe. Please. Violence is very counter to recovery. You are in a very safe place when you are here; you can say anything. You need to make sure your home is safe as well.

Welcome! You are respected here for the step you have taken.

warrens
Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
Conez

Violence is very counter to recovery.
right... ok... violence.... thinking... thinking.... I want sobriety..... thinking.... unhealthy relationship not helping.

....thinking bad choices are a legacy of my drinking.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Life is terribly short. We are only here on the Earth for a short period of time. Do whatever you can to be happy.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me too Conez - I came here and stayed, with beer in hand. Somehow it all penetrated my anesthetized brain. I was here from August to January without really stopping completely. Now I have two months. I don't post alot, but the words of this amazing community of people impact my daily life more than they could possibly know. You will get there, you've taken the first step on your journey. It'll be a rough one, but when you're done, you'll see you have a strength and fortitude you never knew existed. Love, Joanie
Old 03-22-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

out of anger tonight he made a remark that struck deep... "yeah u drink while u go to SR" trailin of with something about it being the place i should be (n obviously not in his face).
Sounds to me like your partner is envious of the support system you've developed here at SR. Don't let his negativity impact on your search for recovery.