Notices

What do you do...

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Normal people are so hostile

What do you do...

to keep yourself busy? To keep you mind from thinking about that vice of yours 24/7? I've never really had a hobby... I had no interest. Drinking was my hobby. Now I'm at a loss as to what to do to occupy my time.

I am reading a fantastic book right now. Duma Key by Stephen King. It's a huge book, and I'm already scared of being done with it. I need an ACTIVITY, does that make sense? Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good that you're looking for things to add to your life at this point.

Don't forget there are tons more books in the library! Getting back to reading was something that I did when I got sober too. When I was drinking I didn't have the patience or interest to make it through a book.

I also started walking a lot, every day. It really helps to clear my head.

And, volunteering is a fantastic way to spend time, give yourself a gift and help your community.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

I've picked up a few new activities/habits, the big 2 are cleaning and exercise.

There's always a number of chores to do every day, and you get the benefit of a clean home.

I also take long walks, bike rides, lift weights whenever I can.

I also picked up a cool new hobby which corresponds to the above, Geocaching. It's like a global high-tech treasure hunt. You can read more at geocaching.com
Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Obviously there are a million activities that one might adopt. Some have direct benefits (like exercise, meditation, helping others, etc.).

I work long, hard hours in a high stress "mind job." It leaves little time for other stuff.

But I make sure to spend what time I do have doing things that make me focus on my main goal, my sobriety. During the early, very difficult days of recovery, I used this place as a "refuge." When everything inside was saying "I need a drink!," I'd log on here and read and write a lot. It "busied" so many neurons, that I always had something on my mind besides drinking. Sometimes I'd have to remind myself that I had to go to the bathroom.

I still rely on this place to maintain focus. I help and am helped in return. The people here are godsent.

You will find many here with 10, 20, or more years of sobriety. But yet they are here everyday. Ask yourself why. It may not be THE way, but its A way to keep what is important in daily focus.

Peace
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

There are lots to do.
I find myself just sitting somewhere peaceful and quiet and just soaking in my surroundings.
Usually do that outside somewhere. Doesnt seem to work in a quiet empty room..lol
I have little cousins that help occupy my time. They do that quite well.
If I am feeling lazy..I will watch a movie..read..go online and look up art of my interest.
When it warms up here I will be doing alot of outside activities.
Just find what you like to do. Anything from being active to nothing at all and put a twist on it.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Normal people are so hostile

All great ideas. I will definitely continue reading, and I hadn't really thought about doing things around the house. I keep a clean house, but it's SUCH a chore and I hate it. I may start thinking of it as a tool... maybe even redecorate and fix up all those things I've been overlooking.

I will be adding walking in the evenings into my routine as well. There's all these new neighborhoods and developments going in around me, and I've never had interest in them before. Maybe I'll even bump into a friend in the process. :-)
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ha. Yeah, I've had the problem of keeping busy as well. Work just didn't take up enough time, nor did reading or meetings. It took me a while to even *start* wrapping my head around things I could do that didn't involve drinking -- because most of my previous hobbies involved drinking.

So instead I started making Recovery T-shirts. Kinda fun and theraputic at the same time. Now of course all my buddies want one, so...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well some of the best words of advise I was given on recovery was to dedicate as much time to recovery as I did to drinking!!!

When I first got sober recovery meant a lot of meetings, working the steps with my sponsor, service work, and becoming a father and husband again.

Today I still go to meetings, but not as many.
I spend more time then I have in any years with my family doing all sorts of stuff.
Thanks to doing the steps I can sit quietly and be at peace with myself and the world, the world is no longer a place of drama for me, I have become part of the world.
I also spend time working with my sponsee on the steps and working with other alcoholics and their recovery.

I do not use a full schedule to stay sober.

I use a fullfilling schedule to stay sober.

Today what I do is not all about me, it is about others.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find i throw myself into work and my family. I read a lot and take some exercise as well.
Some people i know do voluntary work and find that very rewarding- if time permits for you.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

things to do when you are bored

1. Workout

2. Create a web site (a good one)

3. Write out your idea for a business (write down any possible problems and the solutions for them)
4. Get a significant other

5. Create your own "get rich" scheme

6. Sell stuff on ebay for 3 times it's worth

7. Experiment with fireworks

8. Create a costume

9. If you don't like the business idea or "get rich scheme" you could always plot how to take over the world.

10. Read a good book.

11. Draw a picture.

12. Find a food recipe online and try to make it.

13. Set up a server and share your files.

14. Learn a new operating system like Linux.

15. Create a program in the language of your choice, then sell it to any idiot friends you know.

16. Learn to play guitar.

17. Learn to play drums.

18. Learn to play (insert instrument here).

19. Join a sport.

20. Dye your hair and style it into something cool (then post pictures online and get made fun of)

21. Learn to hack into computers (legally!).

22. Go to google.com and research conspiracies or read the news and educate yourself.

23. Start your own message board and make a feeble attempt to top popular internet forums.

24. Create a flash animation and submit it to random flash websites.

25. Watch movies (sign up for Netflix, or go to local rental store)

26. Go to cafepress.com and design your own t-shirts and coffee mugs, then sell them.

27. Make prank phone calls.

28. Become a consumer tool - go to every retail store you can think of and just "look" at all their products.

29. Get a job and work 50 hours a week.

30. Play Everquest or Dark Age of Camelot.

31. Build a radio.

32. Write a book.

33. Build a fort.

34. Buy a science kit and try to turn it into a meth lab (or just use the science kit normally).

35. Rent a video game and try to beat it.

36. Make a movie with your digital camcorder.

37. Get a CD player or MP3 player, load up some good tunes, turn up the volume really high, and walk around your neighborhood. Study your environment, watch the animals, breathe the air, listen to your music and walk in rhythm. Ponder the meaning of life, close your eyes and pretend to walk on another plane of existence.

38. Take some prescription drugs that will knock you out. Go to sleep and try to dream, or have an out of body experience. If you succeed, keep a journal, write down your discovery, and submit it online to be discussed.

39. Watch TV and study the commercials. Try to pick up on subliminal messages.

40. Buy a HUGE Lego set and attempt to build something. (A lot of them have step by step guides)

41. Redesign your room.

42. Go (pretend) vampire/ghost hunting. Wait until midnight, wear dark clothing and bring night equipment (read guides on night-ops online). Bring a camera, or better yet, a video camcorder. Find an abandoned house or a cornfield, or any other interesting areas to explore. Go with some friends, or go by yourself. Create a documentary and pretend you're in the movie Blair Witch Project. Watch a scary movie or documentary before heading out to get the psychological effect going. Pick up on every suspicious thing you see. Be sure to film all your greatest moments. That morning, watch the film, edit it, put in some creepy spy music, and show it to all your friends. Do this every night, create your own series, and post it on the web site you made. If it gets popular, you'll be too busy maintaining your web site to even come close to boredom.

43. Argue politics with a fern.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got a dog...that keeps you reeeaaal busy. Training, playing, walking. I got her after I read a little on pet therapy. Also there are a few things I just couldn't bring myself to do alone (take hikes, long drives, etc..) the dog gives me an excuse.

Also, it took a few days, but I've found that while sober, if I just slow down and pay attention, I can enjoy my old activities much more than when I was intoxicated. Meaning, I used to come home, cook dinner, watch a movie..you know, typical stuff...but I'd be so drunk I couldn't taste the food, follow the plot or enjoy the company around me. It may not be for everyone, but I try doing the same things and keeping a running mental list of what I can see/enjoy now that I'd usually miss.

I think its important we don't feel as thoough we're punishing ourselves. If you can afford to... go shopping. Oh, and I've found little art projects to be kind of soothing. I just go to a Michaels and pick something off the shelf to get creative with that night. Kinda helps you to mentally tire-out before bed too.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well once you finish Duma Key start reading the Gunslinger books by S.King, i will be reading Duma Key when i finish this last book on the gunslinger. Another thing i have found very usefull is to journal , sometimes i have 20 + logs in my journal a day, i just jot down my thoughts and then try to rationalize them. Ever tried a musical instrument? I used to be a studio musician , a drunk one at that but now with the sober time i can not only play but feel what i play, grab one you are intrested in and go for it..

Take care,
John
Old 03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Reading is great-I'm an avid reader and have read all of SK's books.Before I drank heavily I loved gardening-something I'm just starting to re engage in.I also loved baking(and I'm by no means a 'domestic' type really-LOL) and have gotten back into that.I also clean a lot.It helps distract me if my alkie mind starts to lie to me.

When I first got sober I recovered my couch.It was a huge job but it was so good to have a project that kept me busy for days.I also walk a lot-the exercise makes me feel better afterwards, even if I don't particularly feel like going initially.

As much as I love reading I did find sitting down for long periods of time was bad for me-I used to sit at the computer and drink-so I had to avoid that for a while.But it's different for everyone, what triggers them.

If you're thinking of finding a hobby-ask yourself what interests you.What's your passion?Do you like to sing?Do you like art?Photography?cooking?Animals?.....there are so many things out there when you start to look.Would you like to do a course on something?There's tons online that you can do from home.Doesn't have to be something that necessarily qualifies you for anything-you can do it purely for fun.

anyway-just a few suggestions for you.hope they help!

Jules
Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Some great responses here. So much so that I can not think of a single thing to add. I do wish I would have known about or thought about some of these in my early sobriety. I just knew meetings, meetings, meetings....But I can't complain as I am still sober and the obsession did go a way.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am a lot like you in that I always viewed house cleaning as a chore until a friend suggested that I use that time to pray for my family. As I put each child (or my husband's LOL) laundry away, or pick up their room, or whatever, I use that time to pray for that member of the family. If prayer is not part of your lifestyle, maybe meditate for the well being and happiness of a friend or family member. I have a single friend who assigned each room in her house to a family member, so when she is cleaning the kitchen, she is asking her HP for blessings for her mom, the dining room her dad, her bedroom, a brother, etc. oh, and don't forget to include yourself and your recovery in there!

Thanks for an interesting thread. Jomey