Notices

Fooood and sweeeets.......

Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fooood and sweeeets.......

Just wondering how everyone’s doing with food in his or her newfound sobriety? Seems like all I think about is eating . I was just having a look at the numbers, and for the amount of wine I usually kick back in a night, I took in enough calories to match 1-2 Big Macs!!! That’s on top of dinner, mind you. Maybe I’m just trying to make up for those lost calories now… Anyone have any experience with this? Did it level off for you at some point?

Having the opposite reaction maybe? Any of the longer-term folks have some advice?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

I know I've been eating a lot more junk food since I've quit. Which I need to cut back on because at my Drs. appointment a couple of weeks ago, I found out my cholesterol is a little high.

Hoping that once the weather here gets better, I'll get back to exercising more and eating healthier.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi workinonit,

What is hardly ever considered is the amount of suger in alcoholic beverages. I found that early on I craved suger alot and candy, well chocolate to be more precise, would help take the edge off. I also found that after a big bowl of ice cream that beer didn't seem to be calling to me quite so loudly.

The upside of eating chocolate, I've never been arrested for consuming a six pack of herschey bars.

One day at a time

Peace
Old 03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I stopped drinking six days ago and have been drinking huge amounts of fruit juice. I haven't got a very big appetite but can drink a gallon of orange juice a day. Maybe trying to make up for the "grape juice" I used to drink every day.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have been eating like crazy too.
I think I am replacing one habit with another.
Eventually for me I will slow down.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many alcoholics in early sobriety follow an eating plan.
I did for about 6 months.
I found mine in the book
"Under The Influence"
Milam & Ketcham

I strongly suggest you read that
or it's sequel 'Beyond The Influence"

Please Google for hypoglycemia

Hope this helps...
Old 03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

In rehab I ate like a crazy person, I load up on the sugar now & eat like this from Mon-Fri to keep my budget (been like this for months). Walk or bike whereever I go. 1 banana & Froot Loops in the morning with a coffee (loaded with sugar & cocoa). 1 Monster energy drink at lunch. 1 small frozen pizza at dinner & then I munch on some skittles. Water throughout the day. All week long. Weekends are open. Not exactly healthy eating going on here. Just try not to gain unhealthy wait.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been eating more since I quit drinking (I was a 1000+ calorie/day drinker), but I've mostly been eating healthier. (Although I have been making an effort to do so...mostly because casual acquaintances had started to notice I was losing weight and I wanted to be able to give a reason other than quitting alcohol.)

Whenever I used to take a day or two off from drinking I would usually drink a twelve pack of Coke (plus other assorted junk food) in place of my booze.