Quick Update

Old 03-18-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ICU

Smile Quick Update

Home computer broke a few weeks ago so I've been a bit scarce around here. I use the one at the library about twice a week.

My Dad has FINALLY agreed to have some sort of home care person come in and help him with my Mom who has alzheimers. I've been strongly suggesting this to him for months now. Then one of my Mom's docs told him he can't handle it by himself anymore, and BINGO...now he's ready! SIGH....whatever it takes I guess!

I'm getting myself out there in the world of people again. I don't have a job yet, but, I am volunteering at an organization that helps the homeless and the poor. One day a week I work with sorting clothing. Three days a week I work with food sorting, packing, and distribution.

Just today a woman came in who's house burned down on Sunday, and she took two of the fleece shirts I donated. It made me feel good to know that something I did helped someone...even if it was just two shirts.

Once a week I bring in about $10.00 worth of groceries. I have a supermarket near me that has 50% off on discontinued items. After the discount, it's really like donating $20.00 a week! I've found tons of great deals there....name brand stuff too!

I love volunteering!! It just feels....'right' inside!

Anyway, till I get a job, that's what I'm up to. To be honest, I'd love to get 3or 4 part time jobs, as long as I can live on that income that is. I hate the idea of getting stuck in a job for 40 hours a week. I did that years ago until I found something permanent, and I loved it. Life is too short to be miserable.

Anyway, I think about you all everyday and wish you the best! See 'ya round!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ICU this world could do with more people like you, mabye one day you'll get paid for doing what you obviously feel passionate about, In Wales they are shouting for home carers and support workers there are never enough of them. They are probably the lowest paid and they work so hard, but imagine the job satisfaction of going home after a hard day's work knowing that today i made a difference.

Well done you

Mair xx
Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

we've missed you, ICU! glad you're doing well!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its good to see you back and sounding so good!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! You are an inspiration.....thats wonderful that you are helping so many and feeling right inside about it. I wish you the very best Phiz :0)
Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
cmc

Your volunteer work sound so fulfilling and I am sooo happy to hear that your dad is getting some help.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I've missed you, too, ICU. So good to hear from you. I thought you might have embarked on another solo flight or found an endless supply of Kenny Loggins concerts to attend.

Sending prayers your way that you'll find the perfect job for you.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your post is inspiring! Thank you for sharing....it brightened my day!

gentle hugs
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ICU

Thanks everyone! I think it was no accident that my computer broke! It taught me that I'm not as much of a loner as I thought! Several things seem to be falling into place lately after a very long dark patch! I'm very grateful for that.

The volunteering has taught me to seek out what I love to do and to not settle! I may change my tune if the finances don't straighten out soon though. Regardless, I still think I'm headed in the right direction.

Oh, and yes FD, I'll be doing some local Kenny shows this summer too. I'm just waiting for confirmed dates so I can be 'footloose' once again!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

ICU

Amazing woman as always! I'm so happy that your Dad is agreed for help-that has to be a great burden off of you!

Volunteering what a feeling to do!

You are missed always! Welcome back!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Volunteering has brought more joy to my life than I can express.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

ICU - missed you! I'm so happy things are falling into place - it's such a good feeling!