Notices

What was it like for you?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What was it like for you?

How many false starts did you have in recovery? I just got into an intensive outpatient which will have me at IOP from 1-3PM and then AA meetings at 7PM every night. I wasn't able to keep it together with just AA, and I feel like a piece of crap since I couldn't stay sober, but this program is supposed to be really good.

Did anyone else have problems with early sobriety? Like not getting it the first go-round? I want sobriety but I really don't know how to maintain it. I would just like some support since my mind keeps telling me that if AA doesn't do it nothing will. I will not give up, and inpatient won't take me until I try this outpatient thing. I do know people who did inapatient and it doesn't sound fun so I am hoping this will do the trick.

I also know 2 people who got sober with their first try in AA, and I am quite jealous. Can someone help me with some words of wisdom? Thanks and have a great night.

PS- I walked my dog about 7 miles today and he is passed out on the couch waiting for me to go to bed and snuggle. Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I never heard of inpatient sayin you need IOP first. Its usually the other way around.
But every place is different.
I have done them all.
I have had too many false starts to count.
Everyone is different.
Like you said some get it the first time.
Its all on how bad you want it I guess.
The main thing is you keep trying.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi User Name,

Be kind to yourself. I am so glad that you are continuing to try to move forward.

When I finally knew that I needed to get sober, I had to let go of a lot of stuff that I had believed about myself. The fact that I was an addict was shocking to me. It was not something I could easily believe about myself and yet, there it was. I guess what I'm saying is that I made huge changes in my life, in the way I looked at myself and at the people around me. Addiction had beaten me down and the process of recovery would help me to live again.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I GOT SOBER 9/3/99

BEEN SOBER EVER SINCE.

Did jails, never been to rehabs, the thought of drinking myself to death didn't sound too promising.

I made a choice, not to drink again. I didn't quit, I surrendered
Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Been sober since I walked in the doors of AA March 13, 2001. I immediately, within the first 30 days, got a sponsor, started working the steps, got a home group and went to as many meetings as possible. I also attended the fellowship after the fellowship, when people go out to dinner, coffee, or lunch after a meeting. I put my hand out to others. I started reading daily meditations. I actually was reading from several books a day with the meditations. I got involved with service work. My first service work was simply pouring coffee during the meeting. I continue with service work today. I still go to as many meetings as I can each week. I still have a home group. I still have a sponsor. I apply the steps to every part of my life, so one could say I work them multiple times each day. This is what has worked for me.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

It would have been nice had I stayed sober the first time I walked into an AA room. It was sometime around 1990 and as much as I wanted sobriety I clearly wasn't ready for it. I was too "smart", I just knew I could stop on my own anytime I wanted. Famous last words. Since then I have tried in patient, out patient, psych wards, hospitals, judges, jails and a whole lot of drinking.

I don't think it is about how good the treatment center or the AA group is. It's up to me. No more excuses.

All you need to do is be willing. Willing to surrender and be honest.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post

I don't think it is about how good the treatment center or the AA group is. It's up to me. No more excuses.

All you need to do is be willing. Willing to surrender and be honest.
That is the key along with willing to do the work. Don't make the mistake of believing that AA is a program of suggestions as it is not. It is a suggested program. The difference is that if one wants to get sober they need to follow the suggestions (instructions) in the BB. For AA to work one can not pick and choose which parts of the program they will work. The Steps and Principles are there and they do work when applied to ones life. You can do this. Keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried to get sober for a very long time, I slipped and slithered for the most part, and I was without hope, until I came across some info on line.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Check into all options and all recovery programs, knowledge is power, find what resonates with you and work it with all your heart and soul.

Sobriety is the gift that keeps on giving.

Pick yourself up, and go forward my friend.

First I had to learn to be my own best friend, and I knew I wouldn't treat my best friend the way I was treating me.

Be gentle with yourself, baby steps.

Seren
Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was having a hell of a time trying to quit on my own. I've relapsed too many times just since the first of the year. Now I've got five days in and determined to stick with it. Don't give up. Just don't drink for today. Take it one day at a time. Good luck to you.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I never even tried to quit on my own. I knew I couldn't've done it. Did inpatient & changed my whole life for the time being. Been sober since then.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
I would just like some support since my mind keeps telling me that if AA doesn't do it nothing will.
Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
I do know people who did inapatient and it doesn't sound fun so I am hoping this will do the trick.
I don't know if this was a poor choice of words or whether you have unrealistic expectations of these programs.
You must know that there isn't a program out there that will "do it" or "do the trick"
They only exist to help you to help yourself. Sobriety comes from within and programs just give you the tools to coax it out and turn it from a desire to a way of life.
I just don't want anyone to think that there is something out there that will make it easy. It's not easy. It takes tremendous strength and raw determination.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AA didn't work for me (5 months and had enought--but did pick-up some useful info). IOP on the other hand was great. Really got me through some rough times. Also saw and still seeing a psychiatrist who put me on Lexapro (an antidepressant). 4 years ago and doing well

jane
Old 03-18-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

user name...the only thing that you have to "get" is that you are responsible for getting and staying sober. The best way to ensure sobriety is to not drink any more alcohol. Simple yet difficult at the same time. No program does the quitting for you. Remember you not only have the power to control your actions, but you bear the responsibility if you don't. You can do this...stay strong...best of luck!