Help - I Need Advice, Please

Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help - I Need Advice, Please

A few months ago I moved in with my sister. I knew she had a problem with meth, and as a condition of her living with me, I told her that if she was using, she couldn't live here anymore. She agreed and said that was fair. Yesterday, I found drugs in her room. When I confronted her, she got upset, and admitted she was still using, but had cut way back, and was simply struggling with recovery. I had to admit that she had only messed up a little bit - she's held her job & paid bills faithfully. What should I do? Stick to my guns or give her another chance? TIA
Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:ghug2I can't tell you what to do.......no one can. This is a decision you must make on your own.......That being said I can tell you what I would do in your situation. I would sit down and talk to her and tell her the only way she would continue living with me is if she was actively seeking treatment. I would let her know that I still loved her and always would, but I would not stand by and watch her kill herself. Good luck to you and welcome to the community :ghug3
Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi there...glad you found us. I agree, only you can know what works for you. Unfortunately it isn't usually so easy to just say okay stop and it works. I'm afraid I don't know of anyone who has successfully continued to use "just a little meth."

Please read around here, especially the stickies at the top of the page...Lots of great info here and wonderful people who care.

One thing I learned early on here is that I could only establish boundaries I could stick to. I didn't want to make what appeared as only idol "threats" The boundaries were for me, not to make her stop using. Hugs