I went to my first Nar Anon Appt.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to my first Nar Anon Appt.

I wasn't sure what to really expect but it wasn't very helpful. At first there was just a Nar meeting going on and I was kind of uncomfortable because me and my best friend were the only ones there that weren't addicts. Then they let us know that we had to leave because we weren't addicts. I told her that we were here for the Nar Anon meeting and she said that there was no one there for Nar Anon today. I was kind of dissapointed because I came all the way there and I was really expecting something influential. So we got up to leave. Well, there were two other ladies in there for Nar Anon and since no one else was there we decided to have our own meeting. It was our first time but one of the ladies that was there had been to many meetings in the past. It was really nice to know that I wasn't alone after I heard all their stories. However, it wasn't very helpful. Hopefully, I can find a meeting in my area that is a little more organized.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry it wasn't as you hoped but sure glad you took the initiative to make your own meeting. Hopefully the one woman can point you to other meetings in the area. Usually Naranon meetings are totally separate from NA.
If there aren't any other Naranon meetings in the area, Alanon works too. The program is about us, so the actually drug makes little difference. Hugs
Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with greeteachday. Try going to an alanon meeting. My AH drinks and abuses rx meds. There were not any naranon meetings in my area, so I attended alanon meetings. I have learned that the whole principle is to focus on yourself and not on what the addict in your life is doing. Best to you...
Old 03-17-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alanon or Naranon are definitely the way to go for us. However, I have to say for me, I have also benefitted from attending some open NA meetings. For me what was beneficial was to see in action, what is a recovering addict. I can't tell you how much that helped me stay strong when I was getting the pitiful, I've hit rock bottom crying mess of detox. It wasn't easy, don't get me wrong, but it was easier because I knew this wasn't true. I knew what someone really seeking recovery acted like, and what I was getting was poor pitiful me, save me, I need you - not one word of any action of anything he was doing to help himself, or anything he thought of that I could do to help him help himself. Now, had I been attending Alanon/Naranon for longer and been further along in my own recovery, I would not have needed this blatant example - in my particular case however it was very helpful for what is currently going on in my life.

Good luck finding a Naranon or Alanon meeting close to you that you like, it is truly the best way to go! I think you can look them up online or something.

Take good care, and good for you for reaching out for support!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by codeinewife View Post
For me what was beneficial was to see in action, what is a recovering addict.
Me too! I even asked them to tell me every possible piece of BS that might come out of my AD's mouth. I don't think I'll ever forget the look on her face the day I very calmly said "Bull****" and walked away. For a while there it was my most frequently used word. It said everything in a nutshell.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Could someone exsplain what is nar anon, Im thinking its like alanon?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

nar anon is support for families/loved ones of people who use narcotics or any other type of drug.

Both nar anon and al anon do put the focus on YOU, so you can learn how to get out of being swept into the drama of addiction.

I am a recovering crack addict, abused narcotics in the past, but went to AA because there were more meetings. Alcohol is not a problem with me, but I got all the support I needed from AA, just as I think a loved one can get support from al anon. It doesn't really matter what the person is addicted to...we all have pretty much the same behaviours...just use different substances.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chino I go to a rehab twice a month to speak to family & friends of all types of addicts, at every meeting there is at least one recovering addict there to see a family member or friend. As I speak now I can tell who is recovering by the way they look at me with a smile on their faces. After I am done talking they will tell everyone there I know what I speak of and they will add things to it. It is so much fun to listen to them tell us what not to put up with from the addict and what the BS is. I always thank them for speaking and always say to them I am proud of them for being clean and wish them luck on their continue work.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks you all so much for your encouragement. I'm going to try to find one to go to tomorrow! Wish me luck!