Notices

Dumped By My Sponsor When I Needed Support the Most.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Unhappy Dumped By My Sponsor When I Needed Support the Most.

I've been sick as a dog with this new pregnancy. Can barely keep water down or get my head off the pillow. PLUS I have all the stress from my Mother's accident to add to how sick I'm feeling. My husband and I were supposed to attend his company's yearly Gala tonight, beautiful hotel room, wonderful evening with great food. My husband is the representative for one of the company's location. But I couldn't even go to that because I am so sick.
I also have an 8 month old baby, my husband works out of town most days are 10 - 12 hours a day. Which makes it hard for me to get to meetings.
But I have been doing my recovery reading, step work and keeping in touch daily with my sponsor. She knew as soon as I felt better, I'd be getting to more meetings.
But she dumped me. She told me I wasn't meeting her requirements for sponsorship and she was unwilling to bend.
WOW! I have been dumped when I needed the support the most.
Because my sponsor is on this site, I won't be coming back here. I don't feel confident in trusting my recovery with anyone again.
I will however, send messages to the friends I've made here and hopefully we can keep in touch another way.
I want to send a sincere thanks to all those who supported me so much here. You'll be missed. And I wish you all the best.
Tay.

Last edited by Anna; 03-15-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I am sorry your in so much pain ((((Tay)))) not coming here is really biting of your own nose to spite your face.

My friends definition of resentment is; "Taking some posion and waiting fopr the other person to die" ain't gonna happen.

Stay here and ride this out and by teh way find another sponsor. A sponsor is someone who guides us through the program thats it nothing more. Just find someone who you admire. I found a sponsor that had a story like mine and a good blanced life and that suits me.

Look forward to talk more with you. Won't say goodbye.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
TAY baby hold up slow up the cart......just because she is here doesnt mean jack ****, baby I want to hear about you I am worrying about you ......what is most important her IS what you ARE doing.....keep on doing it girl....these ppl in here will tell you SR has been my meetings it has been my ups and down boards and yes I almost did what you did once but then I realized my recovery ment to more to me and my child than anything else that mattered! PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND!!!!!

Love and Hugs,
Pamm and Baby Girl!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. That must be really frustrating. I've been fired and even fired others. Everyone has their own standards and what they are and are not willing to deal with. It took a lot for me to understand that being fired by my sponsor and by a few sponsees was not always about me. One of my sponsors relapsed and her abusive ex came back. She later told me that she didn't want me in danger either my recovery or physically from her ex. It is hard to trust that something larger than you may have different ideas about your recovery/life than you do.

I'm sure that even though your old sponsor is a member here, she would not ever not be supportive. I'm sure that there is some flaming around here but it is usually quickly taken care of, if it happens at all.

The support from others here can be a great resource.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From my perspective it doesn't seem like Tay is trying to run anyone down, she mentioned no names. I think she is simply trying to share with the rest of us her pain.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I want to be a sponsor one day!

Take it easy Tay!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Tay,

I am sorry that it did not work out with your sponsor. We are all human. I sincerely hope that you do continue to post on SR. You are one of the people that makes it feel like home for me. There are people in AA that I simply do not see eye to eye with - nobody is right or wrong, no resentment. It's just a part of life. Many people change sponsors (from what I understand) or have more than one sponsor.

You are on a good path to achieving peace & sobriety. Selfishly speaking, you are a part of my sobriety as well. Please keep on this path. Take care.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tay, I had to remove your email address. It's too dangerous to put it out there.

PM people privately with that info.

I am really sorry for what has happened, but I strongly recommend that you stick around here. It's a lifeline for me.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey Tay, I TOTALLY agree with Gravity. You are a support line for a lot of us here. Don't let a problem with one person change the course of your recovery. I'm sorry your sponsor wasn't there when you needed them, but there are a ton of us who love you and will be there when you need us. PLEASE don't leave this site, it is such a great resource and you're such a big part of it.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Tay..I wont comment on the sponsor situation.
But I will say that this is YOUR recovery. Alot of people here care about you.
And especially if you cant make meetings. This is the next best thing in my opinion.
I really hope you decide to stick around.
We need you just as much.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hey (((Tay))) stop peeking and jump in and post, may stop the steam coming out ur ears

we need you here, we can manage without you, but we need you to be here.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
hey (((Tay))) stop peeking and jump in and post, may stop the steam coming out ur ears
That guest that's been peeking in for a while was me, I'm up late working on a flash app for a new Korean MP3/PM Player - I usually stay on the forum when I'm at the computer...

Tay-Lyn, don't leave...

You've got a whole bunch of stuff going on in your life just now, please stay close to us here; you've got loads of friends here who care about you and this forum is an important release for you too...

I'm so sorry it didn't work out with your sponsor, but you don't have to leave - we'll all miss you...
Old 03-15-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

selfishness at NA meetings (cor, what a surprise!)

talk about being kicked when you are down, as i've mentioned in other posts on here MY EXPERIENCE of NA meetings hasn't been a good one either. i have found that either you can't get a sponsor at all/he or she hasn't got her heart in it OR, and this could be the worst type... the over zealous sponsor who punishes you for any minor infraction of the 12 steps program, say having a sip of wine on christmas day with your parents for example... the type who gives you such a hard time over it you start to suspect they are the kind that find every day a struggle not to use, live a lonely life that consists solely of solo coffee shop visits and take out their frustration at not being able to use etc. on you by slagging you off behind your back for any slight deviation from the NA code, and punish you for months over the aforementioned. they sort of remind of mary whitehouse, the strident "get sex off tv" campaigner from a few years ago, a lady who took her self appointed role so ridiculously seriously that she had the definite whiff of the sex starved about her. i always thought a good session (sex, not drugs!) would of done her the world of good... now i'm not advocating that people go back and use as this is obviously not a good idea, just illustrating the selfishness and self righteousness that i have found that flourishes in most of the meetings i've been to that's all. from what ive been told on here, i don't think i'm alone in this either...
Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That really sucks, you have to do what you think is right but is leaving SR going to help you?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Tay, please, please don't leave SR over this! Kevin's right, we need you here.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Tay -

I was 22 years old when my mother died.
I had an eighteen month old, and a three year old.
I made some decisions regarding the involvement of family much as you are describing.
Between the time of her death.... and the funeral.
Some of those decision ... I haven never looked back.
Others ... I have gone back and changed.

You do .. what you need to do for your children... and for your sobriety.

Period.

We are here if you need us.
Feel free to contact me privately if I can be of any help at all.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by RK2007 View Post
That guest that's been peeking in for a while was me, I'm up late working on a flash app for a new Korean MP3/PM Player - I usually stay on the forum when I'm at the computer...
lol RK had no idea anyone was actually peeking it was a wild guess thing or not so wild really as I have done teh same thing myself
Old 03-16-2008, 03:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
talk about being kicked when you are down, as i've mentioned in other posts on here MY EXPERIENCE of NA meetings hasn't been a good one either. i have found that either you can't get a sponsor at all/he or she hasn't got her heart in it OR, and this could be the worst type... the over zealous sponsor who punishes you for any minor infraction of the 12 steps program, say having a sip of wine on christmas day with your parents for example... the type who gives you such a hard time over it you start to suspect they are the kind that find every day a struggle not to use, live a lonely life that consists solely of solo coffee shop visits and take out their frustration at not being able to use etc. on you by slagging you off behind your back for any slight deviation from the NA code, and punish you for months over the aforementioned. they sort of remind of mary whitehouse, the strident "get sex off tv" campaigner from a few years ago, a lady who took her self appointed role so ridiculously seriously that she had the definite whiff of the sex starved about her. i always thought a good session (sex, not drugs!) would of done her the world of good... now i'm not advocating that people go back and use as this is obviously not a good idea, just illustrating the selfishness and self righteousness that i have found that flourishes in most of the meetings i've been to that's all. from what ive been told on here, i don't think i'm alone in this either...
Good to meet you. Why not start your own thread and tell us about you and how you are staying drug free.

And by the way its none of my business how people get and stay clean and I don't give a hoot how they do it I am however overjoyed that we do stay drug free.

Kevin
Old 03-16-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Using Art

Wow. "Disappointing" isn't even the word. I'm really sorry you were let down like that, and that you're leaving just as I'm arriving. I'm not naive, I know that people are just people, and that AA/NA is no different. Still, it's discouraging to hear about things like this happening, because they shouldn't happen. I would be really upset, too, if that happened to me.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just to echo what others are saying Tay, stick around. The support is excellent and you offer much yourself, hang in there and best wishes.