Celebrity Rehab-Reunion Show

Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrity Rehab-Reunion Show

Did anyone watch this last night? I'm sure it will replay quite a bit.

I was glued to the show all season and found it fascinating It was an interesting follow-up.

I found it sad that Mary Carey is drinking 'moderately' now and has only eliminated hard alcohol. I wish they would have mentioned that this is a typical hallmark of the alcoholic personality and only a matter of time before she's back with the hard stuff. It is misleading to those who don't know much about the disease to allude to the fact that moderate drinking is okay.

Jeff Conaway still taking drugs as painkillers for his numerous surgeries. Again, just a matter of time.....

Brigitte Nielsen seemed to be doing the best and really working the steps. However, I didn't like that she said she could not do it without the support of her husband and that if he were to leave her, she would begin to drink again. There wasn't any mention of how wrong this thinking is and the huge burden it puts on her husband. She needs to be commiteed to stay sober ONLY for herself regardless of her life circumstances/partner.

The mohawk rocker (name?).....was doing really well and slipped up into drugs recently and is trying to recover again. This was good news, however, Dr. Drew asked his girlfriend if she was still 'sticking it out with him'. The emphasis here seemed to be on supporting the addict....NO MATTER WHAT....and God knows what this woman has put up with and whether this is a healthy place for her to be.

The Ultimate Fighter guy (name?)....doing well, but something tells me he won't last. Seems to still be a bit angry. The ego needs to deflate to maintain sobriety.

Jamie Foxworthy....addicted to marijuana. She used to smoke ALL day, but has cut back and thinks this means she's doing well.

Chyna.....still in denial. She seems like an accident waiting to happen. Getting lots of therapy, but still not committed to working 12 steps.

Baldwin (dry drunk) and Jessica Sierra (American Idol) were not a part of the show. No specifics on Baldwin. Jessica Sierra violated her parole because she fell off the wagon and Dr. Drew helped her get into a in patient recovery program through the end of the year.

All in all it was a good show. However, I would have liked more to be mentioned about the addicts need to be sober ONLY for themselves and the significant other's role NOT to stick it out with the addict NO matter what....and the progressiveness of the disease when left untreated.

Any other thoughts?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
Any other thoughts?
Just disappionted I live across the ocean! Sounds like it was a good show. I agree with your points though; many people who have no experience of living with an active addiction watch these programmes that are focused on the person addicted as suffering. They never seem to mention the affects on those who have to live with it. Hence the attitude that you are giving up on them if you cut loose.

Lily xxxxxxxx
Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I just watched it last night. I agree with all that you said and I also wish there would have been a bit more talk about the importance of the family of the addict getting help as well.

I cry for Jessica. She is so full of pain.
And Seth, the rocker dude. He has such a big heart but no self-love. I suppose I can sort of relate to that.

I'm looking forward to new season, assuming there will be one.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was amazed, they had the best of the best as far as help goes and it seems that none of them really "got it".

I will see if I can watch a re-run (missed the original).

I am reminded daily that I am where my recovery begins, and if I don't use my tools I can be back at the beginning with just one use.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have enough of dealing with addiction in real life and have no urge to watch some famous person's drama on tv.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally understand what you are saying Barb, sometimes seeing other peoples struggles helps me and I watch, sometimes not.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Goes to show you, you really have to want it for yourself...That is my thoughts.
Bridgett Nelson seem to have her mind made up in the beginning. Thank God she is doing so well. I really admire her!
Loved the show and would like to see them get Brittany Spears in there.
God Bless and Prayers,
Machele
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
If you are lost, stand still

CarolineB, I agree with everything you said. I also wish Dr. Drew had taken greater advantage of the "teachable moments" for the addicts' sakes as well as the less-educated audience members.

I'm glad the show seems to have made such an impact in bringing the awareness of what a suffering addict feels and looks like to a wider audience. My boyfriend repeatedly told me, though, "That's not what rehab is really like..." It was more like a spa than a treatment center. And the day trips? No way would that happen in a non-celebrity setting. Especially not after only 3 weeks. Trust and Privileges like that would take much longer to earn.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i really enjoyed watching this show, mostly because i greatly admire dr. drew and all of the insight he provides. this show, much like "intervention" on a&e helps personalize the concept of the "addict." just because a celebrity is struggling with drugs and alcohol doesn't make their life or their battle any less important than the non-celebrities. addiction is addiction, and i hardly view it as a problem of "drama." i even think for some who are currently struggling, seeing others in their shoes attempting to sort things out for themselves and gives them hope... or even makes them see what they could become.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
Chyna.....still in denial. She seems like an accident waiting to happen. Getting lots of therapy, but still not committed to working 12 steps.
This sounds to me like the people who are getting rich from her are making her go so she doesn't go down the tubes and take them all with her.
Why would any one get lots of therapy and not use it?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can get all the best therapies in the world, but if you don't really want it... The success in therapies is due to how much the "patient" want it.

I am an ex-coke addict. I stopped when I was really really tired of it (with a therapy at first... relapsed for 2 years... and by myself after. Again, really really tired of it.)

My ex-abf did the same thing. As much as I asked him, he did it when he was ready to do it. He has enough. He was dying. He did it with a good rehab. And a good in-patient place after. But he was ready.

It is the same thing with co-dependency. Your addict is the drug. When you are really really tired of it............. any therapy will work. Even your own. As we can see on this board. DESIGNER is a good example, I think.