Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

UPDATE...My Mother Took Her Last Drink and Her Last Drink Took Her Life.

Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone for all the warm, kind, loving words. All the wonderful wisdom and support I've received from everyone here. I continue to be so overwhelmed by your efforts to reach out.

I guess the shock of the new pregnancy, the anguish and the distress from my Mother's accident were too much together for my body to handle. Hours after learning of the accident, I started getting a migraine. My migraine left me alone in a dark room, with excruciating pain that kept me wrapped around the toilet and unable to walk for almost 3 days! This morning is the first time in 3 days I've been able to lift my head up off the pillow.

Because of that, my husband stayed home from work to take care of me and baby. I haven't been to the hospital yet, but my sister called hourly to update my husband on my Mother's condition.

My Mother is still alive. She made it through the night after her brain surgery. She came out of her coma yesterday morning. They were able to take her off the ventilator yesterday which I thought was really promising. She started talking a bit, but didn't make any sense of coarse. She doesn't know what happened, where she is, who any of her family is, etc.. And she is still paralyzed. Last night they were worried about infection setting in. They did another MRI and spotted a clot in her brain. They are going to check it again today and perhaps have to operate again.

She is also going through severe withdrawls. She has been put on an ethenol drip. I'm not sure what else will be done for her withdrawls.

So if she survives the next surgery and they get the clot, she will live, but could very well be paralyzed forever and unaware of who/where she is.

Doctors say brain injuries/damage is the hardest to predict the outcome for. It is just a waiting game.

Nurses told my sister that not only should we not bring our babies into the hospital, but they didn't recommend I go in considering I am pregnant. They told my sis there are a couple of drug-resistant viruses going around that would make it dangerous for me to be around......don't know how true that is, but it has freaked me out....do I go or not?

So that is where we are at. Thank you all again for your wonderful support. It really helped me out.

Not only did that initial craving for a drink pass, but more and more I am completely disgusted with the effects of the drink. My Mother's situation has scared me straight. I used to fall all the time when I drank, I too have hit my head, hurt my eye, etc.. I could easily be my Mother if I kept drinking. This last situation has scared me from ever wanting to drink again.

Having said that.....I KNOW that could change at the drop of a hat and that I may want to pick up tomorrow. So I will keep up with my recovery and AA. Today is day 48.

Hugs to all,
Tay.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers continue for you and your family
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

prayers and support to you, tay, and your family. please stay strong, k
Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

First of all, I want to thank you for keeping us updated. As you saw by the outpouring of kind words, thoughts and Prayers, there were so many who have and will continue to keep you, your Mom and Family in our Prayers and on our minds.

My Sister Linda, passed away in '91 from the effects of this disease. She was only 26 years old. During the six weeks that she was in ICU before she passed away, I was pretty much a fixture at the hospital. I felt as though I had to be there with her. That six weeks was a roller coaster of improvements then setbacks. My Son had just turned two a few months earlier and I was torn between being at the hospital and being at home with Brandon. I was Blessed to have wonderful neighbors in my apt. building who reached out, offering to watch Brandon, free of charge, whenever I needed them. I would be at the hospital for days on end, feeling guilty because my son was at the neighbor's house. Then went I would come home to see my Baby, shower and try to catch a few hours sleep, I felt that I needed to be at the hospital. I didn't want Linda to come out of her coma and no one be there with her. There were those few times when, at 3:00 in the morning, the hospital would call saying she had taken a turn for the worst. It was so comforting having such wonderful neighbors who I could call upon at that hour for help. I simply had to dial their number and within a matter of a minute or two, one of them would be at my door in their bathroom and nighgown scooping Brandon up quietly out of his crib and I grabbed my keys and left. To this day, I will never, ever forget how much that helped me through such a difficult time. I'm sharing this on here because I know you will have a huge response of folks wanting to see how you, the babies, your Mom and the rest of the Family are doing. Such a selfless act of caring for someone's children during a time like this a appreciated more than the thoughtful person could ever know.

What came to mind for me, was when you said that Nurse(s) suggested that you not bring the little ones, but you should stay home as well to take care of yourself and your unborn baby. I'm sure you're having the same feelings of being torn back and forth, home vs. hospital. For me, I would consider that a message from God that you not go to the hospital. At least not now. I'm sure your Mom wouldn't want you risking you or your unborn babies health.

You all will continue to be in my thoughts & Prayers

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today
Judy
Old 03-14-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My prayers are with you that you may find peace during this trying time and that your mother may recover and regain a new life.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Hey(((Tay))))

I am hoping you won't go to the hospital to see your mom at this time. Hospitals are not a good place even for sick people because of the risk of contracting another condition. I even wish your mom did not have to be there but, it is very obvious she does need professional care right now.

I would like to suggest that you pray for your mom and give her to the care of her HP and know that it is effective to pray and it is much much more than just doing nothing. We are all holding her and you in our prayers and thoughts too know that as well.

Keep posting.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tay,

Well, the news is relatively good, so far, and I will keep praying for you and your family.

Personally, I am creeped out by those super viruses that live in hospitals. I would take the nurses advice and at least, be very cautious if you or your baby visited your Mom.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Tay))),

You and your family will be in my thoughts today...

I am also sending you strength and love...:ghug3
Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
believer

It made me glad that there are good news Tay. I'm proud of your journey...

God bless your family and let there be miracles performed on all of you
Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Tay))))

Thanks for the update. I would take the nurse's advice and stay away from the hospital. There ARE viruses that are resistant to antibiotics around, and you don't want to catch one. I was a nurse for 12 years and have one of them....luckily it's dormant but I have to be careful to not let a scratch or bug bite get infected. I like what Serenity said....maybe it's God's way of saying you don't need to be there...you need to take care of you!

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks for the update and I'm glad you are feeling better now and taking good care of yourself.
:praying
Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Many prayers out to Tay

Be gentle with you-
Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tay...............I am so glad to hear about your mom, funny things about moms they tend to shock the hell out of us.......

As for you and the baby, you are right, even though YOU ARE THERE IN THOUGHT AND HEART it isn't the same as being there, it is hard as hell to do I know ( look at my post from the same freak out time) but that baby and you need more right now, more than you can give your mom and more than you can give you......hearing it don't help either.....but you need to remember this.... YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR CHILD'S HEALTH!!!!!!

Good Luck sweetie and keep holding on, as for the headaches and migraines, a lot of it may be being brought on by stress.....remember this every time you get stressed out you are stressing your baby 10 times more!

Keppin you all in my prayers!

Hugs and Love,
Pamm
Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

:praying Jomey
Old 03-14-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Continued prayers for you and your family (((tay)))
Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

For you and your entire family.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Hard to know what to say at a time like this Tay, it must be absolutely dreadful for you.

Wishing you and your family all the best, I hope things work out.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:praying

hugs for you and some peace in your life

xoxo
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update Tay. You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers. WTG on day 48!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Adding my thanks for the update...sending my care and prayers through this time.

((((Tay))))