Notices

Drug Addiction Recovery (Athiest)

Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug Addiction Recovery (Athiest)

So a good friend of mine was addicted to ecstasy she has been sober for about 6 months on her own will, and this was in large part to her BF threatening to break up with her if she did it again, they just broke up and I am worried for her. She is an athiest so religious based programs don't do her much good, and I have not heard of a program that does not involve god. Anything I can do as a friend to help her through this time?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Check out the secular section of the forum. There are some alternate programs. I found SMART to be a good one for me. But I also do NA.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey,

I belong to LifeRing Secular Recovery Home Page of LifeRing Secular Recovery. This program is an alternative choice for those who choose not to include a spiritual, faith based or religious component such as those that may be found at an AA, NA or CA meeting. LifeRing's premise is based on sobriety (100% abstinence), secularity (no faith or any faith), and self-help (you drive your own recovery.)
Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Although some hard-line AAer's will say that w/o God it's not the AA Program....but what the heck....I been buckin' the system, and so have most of close friends, for so long,.....we just don't give a hoot any more.....soooooo.......:

I worked the AA Program as an atheist [note the spelling (for future reference) it's athEIst, not athIEst...hehehe]. My sponsor in AA was, and is to this day, a die-hard, vociferous, loud, loquacious.....atheist.....and it works. In fact, most of my close friends in recovery atheists; all clean/sober, living happy, joyous, free, and serene lives. Of course, it can be hard to find atheist/agnostics in AA, but it is possible.....and in NA too.

This is not to say not go look elsewhere; just to say not to close the door on AA/NA because the majority seem to think, and sometimes say....get God or get drunk/high.....

Here's hoping your friend finds the help she needs...... (o:

NoelleR
Old 03-13-2008, 01:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

we got a grammar 12 step program now ?

we're all in trouble LOL.

D