Notices

I am freaking out

Old 03-12-2008, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am freaking out

I lost a job a week and a half ago after a drug relapse.
I got my tax check and put a down payment on a car so I could find a better job. Now between the relapse and that down payment I dont even have a dollar to me. I have bills pouring in. Everything is behind and a car payment to boot. With no job. Everyone is only hiring PT. I got a notice today that I have to pay 300 bucks for a ticket I didnt pay last year. And they want it by Apr 6th.
Between all that and the disappointment of relapsing afetr having almost 3 months clean for the first time ever I am a mess.
Today after I got that notice I had a meltdown. I havent had one like that since I thought I was going to be charged under Floridas 10 20 Life law about 7 years ago.
I thought I was going to pass out. I couldn breathe. I was trembling uncontrollably. I had chest pains a pounding headache amd I thought I was going to be sick. As hard as I tried I just couldnt calm down. Finally I layed down and fell asleep. I woke up better. But it is back but not as bad.
I am depressed and I am normally not a depressed person.
My Dr wont give me anything for instant calming because I am an addict. I dotn want to be on long term antidepressants becasue I only need something once in a great while when these episodes happen. And I need instant relief to it. I have been down the benzo road. I dotn really like them but they do the job for that calm I need right then. I dont take them otherwise. But because I am an addict I feel like I am being made to suffer.
I am in no way asking for medical advice. Just thoughts and opinions.
I cant keep going on like this. I am going to lose it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Trishy,

If I were there, I would give you the biggest hug imaginiable. Did you know they did a study on hugs.....and women's blood pressure instantly dropped from a simple hug?

How did that interview go?

Keep your chin up. Things will get better.

Sometimes it helps me just to breathe......

Love and hugs.....

K

:ghug3
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

But because I am an addict I feel like I am being made to suffer.
This is the place you brought yourself to. The drugs were the start of this, the relapse, etc. Now because you got yourself in a bind, your stressed and you want more drugs to take away the stress.

If we take a look at ourselves we are the ones who make ourself suffer.
My Dr wont give me anything for instant calming because I am an addict.
We get ourselves into places and expect a magic pill from a doctor.
It doesn't always work like that.

Would you need a pill for an instant calming effect if you had not lost your job? not relapsed?

Not trying to Not be supportive, but taking short cuts like this is IMO stalling the road to recovery.

I believe in meds and think they are good for certain things, but not to help clean up the chaos is of addiction or a relapse. It just makes it easier to fall into relapse next time.

Just my .2 cents.

There are ways to deal with stress and figure life out, on lifes terms, We just have to grab them.

Take what you will and leave the rest.

Ever thought about or done yoga, or running for stress? walking, meditating, all of those things are known to help stress.

Hang in there and take some deep breaths..

If you are still set on getting benzo's to help, you can always go to a different doctor.?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

:ghug
Sorry you are facing such a struggling time right now. I wish I could provide some experience that would make it better but all I can say is using and drinking will only leave a trail of more destruction and mess to clean up. Sober you can get through this and make it to the other side.

I don't know how much it will help but I have had a few struggles in my process of recovery even some that were financial. It would take to much space to post it here but my story is listed in the my stories section under nandm's story if you want to take a minute to read it. You might find it useful.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Visit American Institute of Stress is dedicated to advancing understanding of Stress in Health and Illness. for more information on stress, which they call America's #1 Health Problem
Feeling a Bit Stressed These Days?

You're not alone! Traffic jams, deadlines, bills to pay, job changes, endless chores and errands, relationships, family problems, it's always something and of course we are on the brink of war. You Can't even go to the mail box without worrying about anthrax or small pox. Every time I try to relax and picture myself frolicking through a field of daisies, there are suddenly nuclear explosions everywhere.

Stress is experienced by everyone at one time or another. It requires the body to make physical and chemical adjustments in order to maintain the necessary physiological balance for survival. A racing heart, a burst of energy, and muscle tension are the body's physical responses to stress. When faced with danger, some of the first stress reactions are a rise in blood pressure, quicker breathing and heart beat, and dilated pupils. Sight and hearing become more alert.

This reaction is an instinctive response that protects us from threats to our survival. Physiological changes are part of the "fight or flight" response, which prepares and energizes a person to confront or flee from danger. After the threat has passed or a change takes place, the "alarm" signs disappear. The body is still aroused but is adapting to the change.

When you "gear up" under stress, your body begins to do more of some things and less of others. For example, blood circulation increases, but digestion slows down or even stops. First symptoms of these digestive orders may be Persistent Indigestion or Colitis.

Once the stress ends, your body goes to work to restore the balance. However, if stress returns too soon, your body will never have time to get back on an even keel. Eventually, this can lead to major health problems. Exhaustion occurs, causing damage to the person's physical and emotional well-being. If the stress is short-term, chances are good that it can be dealt with. It is long-term stress that causes the body to break down and has many real physical effects.

Some of the disorders associated with stress are:

* Anxiety
* High blood pressure
* Headaches
* Depression
* Weakened Immune System
* Higher Cholesterol Levels
* Sleeplessness
* Impotence
* Migraine Headaches
* Diarrhea
* Loss of Appetite
* Increased Appetite

If stress is not handled properly, then more serious illnesses will result.

There is no escape from stress. You must learn how to handle it.

Relaxation is often difficult. But necessary to alleviate the stress. B-Complex Vitamins are very important for proper functioning of the nervous system and to reduce anxiety.

Deep breathing and Aromatherapy can help you relax and shake off stress. Many people find Meditation helps them relax and handle stress.
Herbs and Supplements to Help you Relax

Valerian, has a relaxing effect on the nervous system, it promotes relaxation in persons leading a hectic lifestyle and helps support restful sleep.

Hops, has been used traditionally for nervous disorders and irritability. It has been known to be beneficial in the treatment of insomnia and sleep disorders because of its calming effect.

Passion Flower acts like a sedative. Recent studies have pointed to the flavonoids in passion flower as the primary constituents responsible for its relaxing and anti anxiety effects.

Scullcap is considered the best general nerve tonic of all the nervine herbs.

Catnip nourishes the stomach and nerves. It calms the nervous system and is used also for digestion.

Kava Kava is used for anxiety, stress relief, insomnia, and to relax the body.

Chamomile is helpful as a digestive aid, tranquilizer and immunostimulant. It helps with mild sleep disorders, nervous stomach, and depresses the Central Nervous System.

Rhodiola reduces stress on the heart and normalizes irregular heart beat. Research has confirmed its anti-fatigue, anti-stress and cardiotonic effects.

Relora offers the relaxing qualities of the benzodiazepine class of drugs without negative side effects. Relora is an exciting new natural anti-anxiety, anti-stress relief formula that helps control stress-related eating and drinking that is non-sedating with potential anti-depressant properties.

Nerves & Tension Tincture soothes the nervous system to help reduce stress.

Ex-Stress Formula combines popular herbs like Valerian, Hops and Black Cohosh traditionally used to relax the body's systems and provide general health maintenance.

GABA can be taken to calm the body in much the same way as diazepam (Valium), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), and other tranquilizers, but without fear, of addiction. GABA has been used in the treatment of epilepsy, hypertension, anxiety, and attention disorders.

L-Tyrosine is an essential amino acid and a precursor of the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine (adrenaline) and the thyroid hormones. Used to treat insomnia, depression and anxiety, as an appetite suppressor, elevates mood, a natural GH releaser. Should not to be used while taking prescription antidepressants or MAO inhibitors.

Bach Rescue Remedy contains a combination of five flower essences to help balance the emotions, relieve stress, and reduce fear and nervousness in stressful, traumatic or emergency situations such as receiving sudden bad news, family upset, bereavement, before an exam, meeting, interview, performing, giving a speech, and going to the dentist or hospital.

Avoid caffeine, sugar, white flour products. Do not eat junk foods! Take a quality daily Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Supplement. A good diet will give you the strength to keep your nervous system and immune system in shape, and help to cope with outside influences.

Click here and visit Herbal Remedies. Read additional information on all the symptoms listed above, as well as all the natural herbal remedies and supplements in this article.

Copyright: Herbal Remedies USA LLC - Deb Jackson

Deb Jackson is an Herbalist, Freelance Writer, Editor, Artist. Visit More of Her Work at Medicinal Herbs use, Herbal Remedies, pictures of herbs
Reduce Stress The Sedona Way

You don't have to be trapped with having your unwanted emotions and stress make you sick. There are three common treatments for stress and suppressed emotions: medication, counseling and therapy.

There is also a fourth, highly-effective and reasonably priced alternative to these approaches called The Sedona Method.

The Sedona Method can help you get better, faster results out of whatever emotional treatment program you are currently considering or using.

It is a non-drug, non-medical alternative for breaking free of the debilitating effects of all forms of stress and emotional trauma.

You can tackle stress successfully with the You Can Be Radiantly Healthy Programstress tips from the Sedona Method.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is another site also.

Stress Articles, Anxiety Articles, Depression Articles, Mental Health Articles
Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I guess it does all boil down to I relapsed. But I am over that. Even if I didnt relapse I would still be in this situation. And would still be buggin.
I appreciate your honesty. And I dont expect anyone to sugar coat anything. I wouldnt have it any other way than strait forward.
But geez...I have tried sitting some where quiet and just being in the moment and breathing and prayind and all that stuff that usually works. But this is really eating me. I cant stand it. I really dont like the idea of having to take a pill to make me feel better. But the way I have felt since yesterday. Like I am dieing or going to have a heart attack. I just want anyhting to make it go away.
As far as Yoga...My big butt would need an ambulance after all that.
Thanks for your input.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
Well I guess it does all boil down to I relapsed. But I am over that. Even if I didnt relapse I would still be in this situation. And would still be buggin.
I appreciate your honesty. And I dont expect anyone to sugar coat anything. I wouldnt have it any other way than strait forward.
But geez...I have tried sitting some where quiet and just being in the moment and breathing and prayind and all that stuff that usually works. But this is really eating me. I cant stand it. I really dont like the idea of having to take a pill to make me feel better. But the way I have felt since yesterday. Like I am dieing or going to have a heart attack. I just want anyhting to make it go away.
As far as Yoga...My big butt would need an ambulance after all that.
Thanks for your input.

I can relate, I know that feeling, I still get anxiety attacks, they are horrible.

If it's that bad to where you can't make it go away, go to the ER, they have to help you there......

Knowing where you are 'right' now the feelings your are having, is what so often helps me stop from relapsing.
That is my main point I guess. Next time when you think it through, if you want to possibly use remember this helpless feeling you are having right now.
If you get a pill to take it away, your brain is going to remember, well I can always just take a pill to make it better if it gets bad. Why not.

But sweetie I do understand.... I'm not trying to be a hardass or a bitch.
Just don't want to make relapse any easier or more appealing.
I don't know if I am explaining myself right though.

:ghug3
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Trish My Friend,

I have to agree with Done With It. Drugs led you to these problems and therefore, drugs will not lead you to an answer, only more problems.

I have seen too many people who are addicted to one substance become addicted to another in a heartbeat. You have an addictive personality, just like me, we cannot take any mood altering substances.

I have two medical conditions that cause me to be in pain on a daily basis. Some days it isn't so bad. Other days, I want to scream. To get out of bed and go to the bathroom is excruciating. But for me, the addict, drugs are the problem, therefore, drugs cannot be the solution.

You said that you would only take them when the anxiety was really, really bad. Me, I could justify two paper plates sticking together as causing enough anxiety to take Benzos.

I tried to respond to another one of your threads about only part time jobs being out there. Trish, did you ever think that God may be trying to tell you that He only wants you to work part time now? Recovery is a full time job in itself and you've been struggling lately. Take one of those part time jobs and with some constructive budgeting and eliminating the luxuries such as cable, (sorry, I know you just got it back) you'll get by. Spend the extra time that you would be putting in at a full time job on you and your Recovery. Prevention of any further episode that originated in this stress in the first place.

I love ya Chiy,

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy:ghug3
Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Done you are far from being a bitch. I like getting that kick in the ass when I need it.
Someone has to do it. Thanks for taking the job..LOL
You guys are right. It isnt going to help me except for that moment. And then what? I still have the BS to deal with.
SQ..LOL...Paper plates...You dont know how much I get that. I couldnt get the dam fine they sent me out of the envelope earlier and it was windy out and everything was blowing in my hands and my hair in my face I was getting pissed. I couldnt even get the dam thing out. I had a fit over that.
I am just going to ask for guidance and for God to Help me cope.
I hope there is some method to this madness. I am running out of ibuprofen to kill the headaches.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Method?

Prayer

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy
Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

CHi -

YOu don't need drugs.

You need a plan.
SO - If there's only part time jobs - you get TWO of them, girl.

You're reading the words of a woman who worked a full time job and a part time job so her two sons could wear the required Nike shoes for baseball all their upper middle class friends wore in baseball. And we didn't tell anyone.
Because I was twenty years YOUNGER than their friends moms.

No pity here.

Only TWO part time jobs?
You're what - twenty something?
Get three.
Part time jobs pay WAY more than a fultime anyhow.

You ever wait tables>
holy CRAP!
tips - in FLORIDA????
with tourist season coming?
OLD guys????
GIRL!!!
Find a House of Pancakes - and get ON it!

Y0u don't need drugs.
Make a PLAN!

Get BUSY!
Youre young USE it!

*hug*
Old 03-13-2008, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

take three deep breaths
pray
eat a banana
take a walk

repeat, if necessary.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

How ya doing today Chi?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am doing alot better. Still get the queezy feeling here and there. But I dont feel like I am suffocating anymore.
What happens ...happens.
Like the Rolling Stones said..."You can't always get what you want. But you might find. You get what you need."
I believe that.
I feel so mental because I freak out. I know it's not the end of the world even tho it feel like it sometimes.
It just helps to rant and get it off my mind.
I am giving it to my HP and try not to think about it too much.
Thanks all of you.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((Trish)))

I'm sorry you're going through this, but so happy you're posting about it! Lots of good advice above me.

I agree with getting at least one of the PT jobs...get some money, make a list of priorities, and go from there.

I have been waiting tables for almost 3 years. Last year, I had just relapsed and was working just to pay back my dad for getting me out of trouble for bounced checks, which he only did because I went right back to work.

This year, I'm not making any more money than I did then, but I have saved enough to get an apt. once my legal issues are straightened out. I just got tired of being broke and barely making ends meet....worked out payment plans with some past-due creditors, and put every cent I could into the bank. I NEVER thought I could save any money, but I've surprised myself.

Basically, we figure out how to make the best of what we've got. I know you can do it....you have incredible strength, whether you realize it or not. I've been where you are. When the cop showed up at my door with a court order to respond to a creditor I owed $4000 to, I cried, pitched a fit, said "I wish I was dead", and had a big old pity party. THEN, I got on the phone, found a prepaid legal service to help me answer the court, give me a month to figure things out, made a payment agreement, and I pay them $100/month. The same thing happened a few weeks later with a $7000 past due payment, and I am only paying them $50/month and they knocked off $1500 from the amount.

Yes, it will take me forever to pay these off, but I am paying and not avoiding them. I've found out that as long as I'm staying clean and being responsible, things are slowly falling into place. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, do what you can, and pray (a LOT!). You'll be okay.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

"Learning New Behaviors" . Sometimes we'll take a few steps backward. That's okay too. . Sometimes it's necessary. Sometimes it's part of going forward. . . Life is a gentle teacher. She will keep repeating the lesson until we learn It is OKAY to become fustrated. Confused, Angry. .Sometimes it is okay to despair.Then, it is okay to walk away and allow the breakthrough to come It shall Pass. . Help me remember that frustation and confusion usually precede growth. If my situation is challeging me, it is because Growing. .