Notices

Am I an alcoholic?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I an alcoholic?

I am new to these forums. My mom was an alcoholic, however she sobered up and went to meetings every week and remained sober for the last 5 years of her life until she died suddenly of an unexpected heart attack. My uncle is also an alcoholic, and my cousin is an alcoholic and addicted to Coke, so addiction definatley runs on my moms side of the family, however noone on my dads side has any addiction problems that I know of. I know addiction can run in a family.

Anyways I am 19 years old in college, I was very against alcohol at first because of my moms experience, but I tryed it when I was 17 and liked it. In high school I drank WAY too much a few nights to the point where I was sick, I would sneak drinks and do stuff that alcoholics commonly do, I also drank and drive which is really bad. Since getting to college I met some really great friends, 4 of us in particular and we have something called man night every tuesday night where the 4 of us guys get together and do guy stuff and drink alot. I usually drink around 8 drinks every tuesday, doing stuff like power hour or other drinking games, but I never feel sick, or pass out, or spin or anything, I dont drink and drive, I sleep on their couch or have a DD give us rides home. My tolerance is pretty high and my friends say they don't notice me act any different at 0 drinks or at 10 drinks. I will usually end up drinking 2-3 nights a week at different college parties, but I never get sick, or drink and drive, I don't start fights when I am drunk, I am not violent or mean or sad, I act really normal and all my friends think the same, They say I can hold my alcohol better than any1 they have ever met and, I am not a big guy (6'1, 145lbs). I think I could quit drinking, but I see no reason to because I want to enjoy the college life while I am here. When I get out of college I see myself drinking a beer or 2 after work some nights and then maybe going out 1 night a week to drink. I know alcoholism can ruin lives because I have seen it first hand with my family members, but I don't think it is effecting my life negativley at all, if anything its positive because I have some real good times with my friends. I never do any of the bad things I did in high school like drink alone, drink till I get sick, drink and drive, or any of those, and I have no desire to because thats not fun or safe, and I know what it can lead to.

I guess my question is, am I blindfolding myself of the truth...am I walking down a shaky path. I personally consider someone an alcoholic when alcohol is effecting their life in a negative way, when they are drinking themselves sick, or risking their lives in a car, or starting fights when they are drunk, or getting sad drunk, or not going to work/class because of it. Is there something wrong with what I am doing...I just don't see it.

Note: I am not trying to take alcoholism lightly because I know how bad it is and I respect anyone who goes through the effort to sober themselves up to better themselve as a person. I am just wondering if I am being too cocky and putting myself at a greater risk because of my family's history. I truly think if I ever started to have life problems because of drinking that I would seek help...do I need to stop drinking now? Or is what I am doing just having some fun in college?

Sory for the long post, and any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

You sound pretty educated on the "ism." Just becareful & if it becomes a problem, get help before you fall into the abyss.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR

I wish I had a simple answer for you unfortunately I don't believe that there is a simple answer to your question.

My experience is similiar to yours.
Alcoholism runs in my family.
I partied in college and saw nothing wrong with it.
I thought I could quit when I wanted to or if it became a problem for me.

Now, the picture a few years down the road from there:
When I decided I needed to quit I found I could not stop thinking about drinking.
I was able to stop for short periods of time anywhere from a week to one time almost a year. But the thoughts of drinking were still there.
I wound up drinking for 20 years before I was able to find a way out of it without the insanity of obsession of alcohol.

Your future may wind up different than mine did. I truly hope that it does.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, troy33. my daughter is an alcoholic, she's 23. her dad was also an alcoholic and so was his dad. so i wouldn't underestimate your higher risk with what you know about your family history with the disease.

good for you for not drinking and driving. that's a smart choice.

keep reading and posting! hugs, k
Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Unhappy

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
Welcome to SR

I wish I had a simple answer for you unfortunately I don't believe that there is a simple answer to your question.

My experience is similiar to yours.
Alcoholism runs in my family.
I partied in college and saw nothing wrong with it.
I thought I could quit when I wanted to or if it became a problem for me.

Now, the picture a few years down the road from there:
When I decided I needed to quit I found I could not stop thinking about drinking.
I was able to stop for short periods of time anywhere from a week to one time almost a year. But the thoughts of drinking were still there.
I wound up drinking for 20 years before I was able to find a way out of it without the insanity of obsession of alcohol.

Your future may wind up different than mine did. I truly hope that it does.

alcoholism don't run in my family, it staggers
Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
alcoholism don't run in my family, it staggers
....I was trying to be subtle. But I like your description better. Thanks.:bounce
Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

jails, institutions and a slow agonizing death

not a pretty story kid

Hope, your wrong about being an alcoholic, hope, you don't have the arrests, divorces and painful demoralization many of us do.

They make it look like drinking beer is cool on commercials, it's not cool if you're an alcoholic.