When the boards were down.....

Old 06-24-2003, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

When the boards were down.....

Hey folks,

When the boards were down, I know I was flipping a bit. I have come to count on you guys more than you can ever know. You are my family, my support and my strength and always here to lend an ear, a shoulder to cry on and a kick in the butt now and then

But I am curious. What did you do when you couldn't get here? Did you venture out to a meeting? Did you call a friend? Did you write in a journal? Did you go shopping? I am hoping that you all did something special for yourselves and thought it might be nice to share what we did and perhaps it would give someone else an idea to do something nice for themselves

Of course, I sat here and hit the refresh button 24/7.....lol No seriously, I actually read a bit. Not much but more than I have in a while and it was quite nice. I guess I am so computer programed that I almost forgot how nice it is to sit back and read a good piece of fiction now and then. I also did a little shopping, which always makes me feel good.

So friends, what did you do when the boards went down......sounds like it could be a song.....sort of like the night the lights went out in Georgia

Hugs to you all.
Debbie

PS.....I should have written a few chapters of Tiara girl but I wasn't thinking!! Perhaps we should bring her back this weekend. Get your thinking caps on!!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Wellll, when I wasn't hitting refresh , I actually got a lot of reading done too. Reading is my first love and it's what I've always used to escape life. It was nice to catch up on it. Had the boards stayed down a few more days, I could have tackled the latest Harry Potter!

I was also able to get a lot more done at work!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good Topic, Deb.

Well I also kept trying this site, but realized that it could take some time. I e-mailed everyone I ever knew and then I worked in my recovery garden, which is blooming so nicely right now, and tidied up my yard. I also started walking every day, while I am at home, just to make myself get out and smell the roses, and I read. The one thing I did not do was watch daytime TV. I can't bear it. I often watch "The View" at noon, but unless there is a good movie on or something special, I don't even turn it on.

What I did notice while the boards were down, is that I really missed reading this while having my morning coffee, and I missed being able to just talk about anything that was happening.

Funny - I didn't take on any extra housework or do anything that I dislike - I used all the time just for ME. I guess I have learned well.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

OMG Deb...what a great topic!

I read more than usual, I have been working in my yard. I wait and wait for the good weather, but then it is too hot. I made myself go out and do a bit at a time. I have moved and divided daylilies. I bought some new plants to plant and move some other ones. ( OK you can call me Ann...) I found some other diversions than the computer and since I hate the TV I got alot done.

Amazing!
Hugs,
JT
Old 06-24-2003, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Well it seems we all like to read and not just posts on here.....lol

Journey, I keep seeing that Harry Potter book on a desks at work, I will confess I haven't read them, nor have I seen the movies.

Ann and JT, it was probably wonderful and serene just puttering in the garden, smelling the flowers and enjoying the beauty of nature. I have one plant.....it lives at work.....and I am surprised its alive. Maybe you ladies will inspire me yet to have a garden of my own (if I thought any of it would survive...lol)

It really is amazing what we do when we set are minds to it and I like it that we all did good things for ourselves. No taking care of others problems, just enjoyable things to make ourselves feel good!! Didn't it feel good?

Although I can relate to what Ann said about morning coffee and reading the posts. What a creature of habit I must be. I have my first cup of coffee with these boards, I post the readings and then I get ready for work.....hmmm.

Okay, I am going to wait to hear what others did while the boards were down......

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 06-25-2003, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Nobody else wants to share what they did while the boards were down? Oh my, oh well, I certainly hope it was something fun and exciting.

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 06-25-2003, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have such a happy story. I continued with life as usual but without your support I was coming a little unglued. I could feel the fearfulness and tention build up. I felt lonely. It is so good to have you all back.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

**********{Rose}}}}}}

We missed you too!! I just wish there was a way to have reached everyone to tell them what was going on. Here's my email address: [email protected] just in case you or anyone needs it. I am keeping a list of emails just incase this happens again. It really took longer than expected.

I hope you are feeling better now.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 06-25-2003, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't say that I read more

because I read a lot whether the board is up or down. Journey, I am loving Harry Potter 5. I am taking my time with it though. I can't understand all the people who felt the need to stay up all night reading it straight through. It took Rowling three years to come up with this one. So I'm going to savor it like a fine meal.
While this board was down, I probably frequented other message boards that I belong to more often. But I'd gotten used to my "daily fix" from this place, so it was weird not to be able to get here for so long.
I also hit some long neglected household chores as well, alas...not all of them. It seems like whenever I knock a few things off of my "to-do" list, new ones crop up at the top. I am rejoicing that the list is not as long as it was this time last year. Getting ready for my niece's wedding last November took MONTHS of preparation. No matter, it was so worth it.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 06-25-2003, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Gabe

Of course I didn't do anything I should have done, the reading was enough I suppose much better than cleaning. I've tried other boards and they just don't compare to here. I guess I am a bit biased

But let me tell you. Now between you and Journey I have decided to tackle the Harry Potter books. My girlfriend in work is giving me 1 and 2 to start out with and I will give it a go when I start my vacation on Saturday!! I will let you all know how I progress

Thanks for sharing

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 06-25-2003, 08:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Barbiedeb
it made me realize how important you all have become to me.
and I thought what if..i never talk with them again ? I need you guys and hope yu've come to need me too.
I did go to another message board for BP family and friends but
I dont know them as well, and usualy just listen in for insight.

I love you all
liddy
ps. on sat we went to las vegas for 4 days so didnt know when i left if it had come back on, whew-so glad. (oh and came home with money, but no instant big wins just a nice time)
Old 06-25-2003, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

This is what I did....

Panicked thinking I had screwed up the 'puter again....
Called an Al-Anon friend who fixes my'puter, was so releived it wasn't me...
Checked once daily to see if it was back on line yet...
Missed all of you more than I thought I would....didn't realize how much this board had come to mean to me....
Then I asked, What would I be doing right now if....then I did it...

I got out more of my speakers tapes and listened to them for about the 100th time.....some of them even more than that...

I have found I can work in my garden with a walkman on and have a lovely speakers meeting right in my own yard....funny but just like my Al-Anon books, the elves had add new things for me to think about concerning my own recovery to those tapes....I too am a book worm but I find it hard to sit for very long these days so I keep on the move alot...

So VERY GlAD we up and running again...
Old 06-25-2003, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Hmmmm, let me think....
Well, I have to admit that I am kind of GLAD the boards went down for a while . It left me alone with MYSELF; apparently my heart and my mind needed to have a little chat

I too had been in the habit of going thru the posts daily... I'd get my boys up and one ready for school. Once my oldest was out the door, I turned on Caillou for my youngest, and I sat down at my puter with my cup of java.

I also pressed REFRESH a few dozen times before I convinced myself it wasn't going to work "maybe THIS time, maybe THIS time..." :p So, I felt a little lost. I puttered around, kinda bored, kinda feeling sorry for myself... Oh, and did I mention that I was PMS'ing?! NOT great timing ha ha ha.

That day turned into a few others of the same, and all rolled into one highly emotional outburst. BUT, as I mentioned in a previous thread... my HP and I sorted thru a lot of stuff, and began to find a FEW answers. I feel as if I am inching a few millimetres forward now... baby steps

So, although the "shutdown" of the boards was a downer, I am grateful for receiving a little "eye-opener" instead.
But... You simply cannot let this happen again guys :p ... Deb? I KNOW you have my email - I expect some WARNING the next time! (:p joking)

Take care
Meg