alanon questions

Old 03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alanon questions

What is "cross talk"?

Am I allowed to take notes?.... Some people were saying things that made me want to remember, such as a thought, or word they had...
Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

There's no need to worry because most all meetings start out with a suggested opening that is read and guidelines for the meeting are included in that.

This is a pretty good description. Perhaps some others will come along with more comments on this topic.
... cross-talking has been defined as talking out of turn, advice giving, questioning the person who is sharing, holding private conversations, having an individual comment on everyone’s sharing, and as being discourteous and intimidating.
From INSIDE AL-ANON Dec/Jan 1988-89 Vol 12 No 1

btw...taking notes should not be a problem as long as you stick to the guidelines about anonymity and confidentiality.
I hope you won't be anxious about 'the rules' when you attend. Newcomers are always welcome.

Last edited by cmc; 03-10-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Cross talk can be when people start a conversation between themselves while others are talking or it can be a form of speaking up off topic.
You can take all the notes you want just remember the Anon part of things and maybe leave any names off your notes.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cmc

btw...
Some beginners meetings do allow cross talk. The one I attend now does but the last one I led did not. These things are decided by the group when they have business meetings.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

After 14 years I still take notes! There is so much wisdom floating around in those rooms there are many things I want to write down. Sometimes it's a new way of looking at things, sometimes it's something funny - or a reminder to myself to read a particular book or page.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi, littlebird.

some of this is also determined by location. For example, meetings in southern California are very different from meetings in my hometown in the midwest/south.

so depending where you are, there's a cultural element of what defines "cross-talk." some of what goes on in my hometown meetings (which i attend when visiting relatives) would be considered total cross talk out here in California. and people from my hometown might be shocked at the fact that shares out here are usually timed with a beeper -- three minutes, to give everyone an opportunity. the meetings out here can be quite large so it's a great tool to give as many people as possible a chance to share at the group level.

it's all Al-anon and as long as a meeting follows the 12 Traditions (don't worry about it if you don't know what those are -- it's not important right now), the varying styles make no difference at all.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel bad, I did not go to the meeting tonight... I just wanted to be alone and cry... I went last week, God willing I will go next week
Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by littlebird77 View Post
I did not go to the meeting tonight... I just wanted to be alone and cry...
There are times I like being alone but there are times when I feel I want to be alone, I should seek out other people.
Why?
Because when we sit at home alone, others that could have had a blessing by reaching out to us when in need...well they miss out on that blessing when we stay home.
When we share what bothers us...others can gain blessings and we feel better as well.

:ghug3:ghug3
Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

I take notes!

Go to alanon when you can if you benefit from it...over time you WILL get stronger.