Notices

I Blew it, Went on a 30 Day Drunk

Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DES

I Blew it, Went on a 30 Day Drunk

I went for 17 days w/o a drink then wham. Had one and I was back in to it immediately. I drank heavily for around 30 days. I woke up one morning violently ill. I didn't even think I drank that much the night before but man, it was horrible!!! At times I had doubts I'd live through the day. It was that bad! Now things in my life are more screwed up than ever. IRS probs, bla bla bla, you've heard it all before. As some of you know I've been drinking for 30+ years.

Anyway, I'm on day 4 again and feeling better. I think I need some help. I checked my local AA meeting schedule and almost all the meetings are closed. What exactly does that mean??? Yeah, I have a desire to quit but not sure that I can. I have a real problem with following through with anything and everything in my life and always have. Can I just show up to a closed meeting? Below is from the local site. What is the "Third tradition?" Any other help from you guys much appreciated. Questions welcome.

Thanks,
Doug

"Closed" Meetings are only for persons who have a desire to stop drinking. When considering attending "Closed" meetings, individuals are asked to apply A.A.'s third tradition: "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." A.A. makes no determination as to who qualifies for membership."
Old 03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I think the last lines in your post say it all. I'm not an AA person, but a Closed meeting is only for people who are alcoholics, as I understand it. And, yes, you can just show up. You can call ahead and have someone meet you, if you like.

I'm glad you are seeking help.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

If you have a desire to stop drinking, you can attend a closed meeting. Simple as that.

The "third tradition" refers to one of the twelve traditions in the back of the Big Book. They're read off at many meetings.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Just go and keep an open mind.

AA=Awesome Adventures
Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know you becasue you are me

Hi:
I just went thru exactly what you are experiencing now.
I went 27 days w/o going to meetings, mostly just staying at home /work and avoiding the world.

I was very reluctant to go to meetings. I was lucy in that I met someone outside of aa that made it a little easier.

I stress the word little.

I go to meetings and am attempting for 90 meetings/90 days. I will not make that exactly (just had the flu and was in bed for 5 days). but everday I know where the meetings are and I am learnig to put them into my schedule.

My experinece is that I will not be able to quit alone.

Take care of yourself and get to a meeting asap, (You can always leave if you don't like it-but that won't happen).