People

Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

People

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/books/26meth.html?hp

There's an article in People magazine about these guys.
It's written by the Mom. Her son was a meth addict.

Some stuff you may not agree with her but it's a good article,
I could relate to it alot. He said what I have said almost verbatim
about meth, the first time he tried it, he felt like,
OMG, this is what I've been missing my whole life, and he was
hooked instantly.

He's also bipolar, etc. It was weird to read some of what he said.

I also thought some of you may find it interesting because his parents
forced him somewhat into rehab several times, altogether he went
five times. He is over 2 years clean now, and he said something like
at each rehab I learned something new, or each one helped me get to
my sobriety, something to that effect.
He also said if they would have given up on me I'd be dead. Dead.
(They did say they would have nothing to do w/him @ one point if he
didn't choose rehab.)
Made me think of the questions you all ask here alot...

Anyway that's it carry on.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks for sharing that, Done. It's a good article although hard for me to read, as my son is lost in the addiction world of meth.

He also said if they would have given up on me I'd be dead. Dead.
(They did say they would have nothing to do w/him @ one point if he
didn't choose rehab.)
Now see, I take exception to this part. If our kids would go into rehab because we threatened to have nothing to do with them if they didn't....not one of us would be here.

Sadly, we don't get to choose their recovery and sadly we don't have any power over life and death...if we did some of the kids we have lost here would be living today.

TV show and articles like this are, at best, one person's experience and not representative of how addiction affects families as a whole.

I'm not meaning this as a debate, Done, or a personal challenge. I respect your recovery and appreciate you sharing it here. I just needed to post my thoughts on this and hope you take no offense.

Hugs
Old 03-09-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

That's why I said this,
Some stuff you may not agree with her
I'm just the messenger, not saying I agree or disagree.

I just meant I agreed 100% with

The first time I tried meth, I felt like
OMG This is what I've been missing my whole life and I was addicted within seconds.
I agreed with him on that.

Other than that I keep my story specifics about my parents/recovery mostly to myself.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Thanks for sharing that, Done. It's a good article although hard for me to read, as my son is lost in the addiction world of meth.

Now see, I take exception to this part. If our kids would go into rehab because we threatened to have nothing to do with them if they didn't....not one of us would be here.

Sadly, we don't get to choose their recovery and sadly we don't have any power over life and death...if we did some of the kids we have lost here would be living today.

TV show and articles like this are, at best, one person's experience and not representative of how addiction affects families as a whole.

I'm not meaning this as a debate, Done, or a personal challenge. I respect your recovery and appreciate you sharing it here. I just needed to post my thoughts on this and hope you take no offense.

Hugs
And I only included that part because no one here ever gives up, I meant that as a compliment. FWIW
Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I've bookmarked it and will read it later in this week. thanks for sharing.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

threadjack

hey dwi!!! how have you been doin girl??? havent heard from you on these boards in a bit i was gettin a little worried. Hope everything is going well with you, talk to ya soon~~ by the way i made it to 3 months clean...who woulda thought?!?! lol

//threadjack
Old 03-10-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Done. I only wish that I could get my daughter into a rehab. When I say to her "you need help and I will leave you alone until you decide to seek help", she just says OK. She doesn't care if she ever sees me again and doesn't want to get better so I have no power over what she does. And if she dies, I know that I will have guilt because I already fight guilt on a daily basis. I guess that there are those addicts for which the drug takes precedence over everything in their lives and they will do it until they die, never seeking help. I think my daughter is that addict. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Done. I love to read things like this. It makes me feel so "not alone" plus gives me hope, which I really need to be reassured of!!

You're a pretty smart cookie, I learned alot of this from you. In my situation, if forcing or her begging for rehab could help I did it, but for mine it didn't work. Great to know every little bit helps though!

blessings,
susan
Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((Done)) Thanks for the article.

((Marle)) I know it probably want help hon, but please don't give up hope. Sometimes when we least expect it, miricles do happen every day. I've personally found that when I think things are hopeless, is when I'm shown (or reminded) that no one or nothing is hopeless to HP.

B
Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Again, I wasn't implying that anyone should force anyone into rehab. I was just typing what came into my head.

Maybe this should just be deleted.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by ex D-Boy View Post
threadjack

hey dwi!!! how have you been doin girl??? havent heard from you on these boards in a bit i was gettin a little worried. Hope everything is going well with you, talk to ya soon~~ by the way i made it to 3 months clean...who woulda thought?!?! lol

//threadjack

Hey you,

Thanks for jacking.
I haven't been posting on that forum so I didn't know you were doing so well!
Thanks for letting me know, I'm so proud of you, lol, I remember your first day here and how hard it was for you and how scared you were. That is really so awesome to hear.

I've been having a bit of a tough time lately, lots of stuff kind of hit me at once. Been a bit frustrated. Including a few of my biggest 'triggers' but
I've dealt with them. Still clean, just tired, and tired of it being so hard right now. But I think it will start to change soon, it's been awhile now, it's got to give soon, lol.
I've been on jury duty for a few weeks ALSO, so I hope to be finished this week, it's really stressing me out. Tough case and I don't like having to deal with all the emotions in this case and having to figure them out for someone else and decide their fate.
Anyway, thanks for asking, I'm off to court. Keep in touch, I miss talking to you and seeing how your doing. 8
Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((Done)) It's a good topic. No need for deleting it. Heck, if we all conformed to one thought process, how in the world would we ever examine new things and share different experiences and thoughts. I learn new things every day listening to new thoughts. Reading all sides. All cases are unique, and the same. What works for one may not work for another, something else might.

Huge Hugs Done.
B
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't take it off. If it worked, we wouldn't all be here. I think sometimes it does work, but most of the time it doesn't! Wish it had w/ my AD!!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Done,

Thanks for sharing I also like reading articles like this one. Now I actually want to purchase both books to see what they actually say.

No reason to take this thread off.... its a good thread with a good article. Thanks for sharing Done!

Jewelz
Old 03-10-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I read the father's book, Beautiful Boy - the kid took off more than once, for months at a time. And the father told him just what many of you have - if you want to go to rehab I will help you, otherwise, you're out of my house, and so the kid was on the streets/living with friends/squatting for long periods of time.

What struck me about the book, and reading/hearing other's stories here and in meetings, is how similar they all are. We all think our situation is sooo different, but it isn't. Different scenery, same old story.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I ordered both books. Thought it would be interesting to read it from both perspectives. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Done...very interesting article

I thought as I read what you wrote here and then the article, that there is quite a difference between letting someone find his or her own way and giving up. Giving up to me, is withdrawing love, having no hope, becoming alienated from the loved one. Letting them find their own way often requires having to make choices; sometimes really tough choices like no contact while using; like rehab or jail (as happened in Nic's case)

Those are boundaries...things we sometimes have to do for our own sanity and to let our loved one figure out and want to seek recovery. Nic's parents established boundaries too. To me, as long as we hang onto love and hope, no matter what, it is not giving up.

Thanks for sharing this Done and for your insight and light always! Hugs.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for the link.

It's all such a fine line.

I think most of us would keep our addicts in a safe rehab for as long as it took, if we had the financial recources and leverage to do it.