Notices

I'm new to recovery

Old 03-09-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm new to recovery

cause I've been having a hard time staying sober. I keep slipping and having to go thru withdrawal all over again, and each time it gets harder. Today is 48 hours since my last drink and the withdrawal effects seem to be lessening. I want so bad to stop. I've stayed sober for several weeks at a time so I want to make it that far this time. And I want this time to BE my last time at quitting. PLease keep me in your thoughts. Thank you
Old 03-09-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!

If you are looking for support, experience, strength, and hope consider yourself home.

This is a good place to start. Also check out our other forum areas. If alcohol is your drug of choice there is an alcoholism section. If drugs then there is a substance abuse section. The member stories are a great place to see how other people were able to quit.

Hope you stick around.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome least--I'm glad you are here! Keep moving forward in your recovery.....don't kick yourself for past mistakes. :atv
Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR least
Old 03-09-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi and welcome, my name is Cathy and I am also an Alcoholic.....never quit quitting!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
El

Originally Posted by least View Post
cause I've been having a hard time staying sober. I keep slipping and having to go thru withdrawal all over again, and each time it gets harder. Today is 48 hours since my last drink and the withdrawal effects seem to be lessening. I want so bad to stop. I've stayed sober for several weeks at a time so I want to make it that far this time. And I want this time to BE my last time at quitting. PLease keep me in your thoughts. Thank you
Hi least and all,
My name is Laura and I am an alcoholic and addict. I have been in Recovery since January 2008, over 60-days clean and sober! whoo-hoo! I am new to soberrecovery.com (took awhile to get the posting approved!), but am member to several other online forums and communities, just as I attend different AA meetings. I broaden my horizon and learn where-ever I can!

I have accepted my powerless over alcohol, and drugs (and finding many other addictions!), and that my life has become unmanageable. I take this First Step everyday - to remind myself that although I can go several days, several weeks, or several months without drinking, I have a drinking problem.

I am, what others call, a high-bottom drinker. I did not lose everything. I have a beautiful home, beautiful kids, a wonderful, supportive husband, and a great job. We pay our bills, blah, blah, blah.

This was my monthly drinking routine (or close to it): one drink and stop; next night: one drink and stop; next night: one drink and stop; next night: nothing to drink; next night: two drinks and stop; next night, and three nights in a row: nothing to drink; then- BOOM - I have a drinking binge moment and drink myself to a black-out. I wake up the next morning, nauseated, in pain (body aches and/or headaches) and tell myself over and over - "I can't be doing this to myself". And guess what? I would follow the same pattern. Not drinking a lot. Staying away from it. Switching my choice of alcohol (from hard liquor to beer to wine - guess what? it's all ALCOHOL). Drinking myself to a black-out and hung-over the next morning.

With the help for my Recovery Program and attending AA meetings (7-10-a-week), I find my support. I listen, I speak, I have learned that others matter, too.

My life is good now by not taking any drinks. I do NOT take that first drink.
Thanks for listening and I'll keep coming back!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

thank you all. I am starting to feel human again. I look forward to getting thru tomorrow when it comes. thank you again. :-)

:ghug
Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR least, will be thinking of you. Take good care, withdrawal should be over before you know it Stick around.

Matt
Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome least - My problem was that I wanted to stop drinking too; but I could not.

I finally went through outpatient rehab and accepted that I am an alcoholic. Then, I learned tools to keep me from not drinking, while also getting a lot of support through meetings.

Elseegee pretty much sums it up!! Remember, alcoholism is a very powerful disease!

Dave
Old 03-09-2008, 09:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Welcome
Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I noticed a curious thing. the last two days I've been thirsty like crazy. been drinking huge amounts of water and juice. is this because the alcohol was my liquid and now I'm dehydrated? just curious.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I was told that alcohol definately dehydrates people. Keep drinking all the juice and water. try to stay away from large amts. of pop, coffee, tea and of course no alcohol.

Glad to see you made it back to the land of the living. Hang in there, you can make it through this. The end result is worth it!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

just noticed another curious thing... just had a fight with 18 yr old daughter: screaming and slamming doors and telling me to shut up. I had a sudden urge to drink a large quantity of wine just to dull the anger. Fortunately it's too late to go and get any and I haven't any money. I"m lucky to be broke. Don't know what to do about daughter. We used to be very close and now she's turned against me. I know that my drinking screwed up our once good relationship but I'm trying my best to repair the damage I've done and it seems like I"m getting kicked in the face for all my efforts. It crushes my feelings cause I'm closest to her out of the three youngest and now we don't talk at all, only to scream at each other and my having to nag her to do her one solitary chore. sigh... can't win for losing. don't know how to feel except hurt.