Notices

Looking for help w/Suboxone w/drawal - how long??!?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is supposed to be FUN!

Looking for help w/Suboxone w/drawal - how long??!?

Hi all - I return to this board because you all are my great, silent friends.

You got me to the place where I believed I could get out from under the grips of my pain killer addiction, and I'm back now at the tail-end of my story towards recoverry, with one last request from you wonderful people...

Eight days ago, I stopped taking 1/2 pill per day of the 2 mg dosage, which I've been on now for over 2 months. I had an appt to go to see the doc for another script, but my insurance has recently changed, and would no longer cover the appt or the drug. So I thought: surely I'm down to a point where I'll be fine to go ahead ans stop, right?

I'm completely exhausted, still!!! I still get the restless leg thing at night (my arms, too - last night... it's hell. Trust me), so I'm not getting a good night's sleep, either. I have no energy - NONE! To take a shower leaves me leaning against the shower wall breathing heavy and barely able to crawl into bed and breathing hard from 20 minutes afterward!!

My question is: Is this normal?!?!? And how much longer should I expect to stay this way? Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the RLS at night?

Thanks SO much,
joyhawk
Old 03-09-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'd check here for answers

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

Welcome back...
Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol...

Anyone else gone through this with this long of withdrawal symptoms?

I'm SO tempted to go back on it and try detoxing over a longer period of time...
Old 03-10-2008, 12:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

I have not had the experience of long and protracted opiate withdrawal; I went cold turkey from heroin, and it would be impossible to put a mg amount on what I was shooting up, so that's not much help.

From memory, it took about 14 days for the leg thing and the restlessness/tiredness to pass, and probably about 3 months until my system was back to anything like normal.

Be strong, I'd ride it out if I were you and know that it will pass, and you will start to feel better sooner rather than later.

Good luck, all the best.

Also, I should make it known that I am not a doctor, and you should not consider this medical advice at all; rather, it's my own experience and obviously we have different problems, but opiates behave in the same way whether they are legal or illicit.

ndz
Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are 2 great medications on the RX market for restless legs, Mirapex and Requip. I would hope your insurance would cover at least one. I've used them interchangably for several years. (Husband is an MD so I get them for free from drug reps) and have found absolutely no side effects. Works like magic.

Your internest might have them as a free sample also. Give him/her a call.

jane
Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to both of you - both answers were just what I needed!

I'll check with my sis (a doc) about the drugs you mentioned, f911 as I'm quite sure that a good nights' sleep will work wonders - muchos muchos gracias!

And while I didn't exactly think the withdrawal would last as long as it has, somehow it's comforting to know that it's not because I'm just this really weak person who can't handle anything. Instead, this just may be the course of the thing for me - just as it was for you, nodrinks. I'm so grateful that you shared that with me - and that you remain sober, as well. Bravo for you!!

Welp - it's day 9? 10? lost count - doesn't matter. Guess I'm goinng to feel like this until I don't feel like this anymore, huh.

thanks a MILLION! You people are the BEST!

Back to bed for me - push the vitamins, fluids..... anyone got any other remedies or stories for me?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

no worries, joyhawk - good luck with it all!

You're not weak, you're suffering withdrawal symptoms.

As for a little bit more advice, I would strongly recommend taking milk thistle, zinc and vitamin B tablets - milk thistle is one of the most powerful liver tonics in the world, and can actually reverse liver damage from fatty liver and cirrhosis. I know you're not an alcoholic, but it still helps with detox and getting rid of crap from your system. Zinc is needed for the body to heal and repair, and Vitamin B will help you feel good and give you a bit more energy and balance.

I would also recommend eating as much organic fruit and veg as you can, 6 times a day - eat heaps, you can't ever eat too much fresh yummy food and your body needs all the nutrients it can get. Things like bananas are great as they can help replenish your body's seratonin (or at least stimulate the brain to replenish it's supply), and of course more vitamins, fibre and nutrients are always good. If you search 'detox/withdrawal diet' on google you should find a whole bunch of helpful information.

As for me, I quit heroin 8 years ago, and I'm 12 weeks sober from alcohol now, it's been a long journey but I'm feeling pretty good, so thanks!

Glad you've made it this far, the worst of it should be over, and I hope you start to feel tip-top and awesome very soon!

ndz
Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

You need to see a Doc about these things, best to consult the professionals.

Kevin
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do not seek or give medical advice.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

hence my disclaimer - I'm not a doctor or a health professional, go see your sis, joyhawk.

Eating healthy and taking herbal supplements never caused anyone harm, and all information I offered is freely available on the web.

All the best!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wrote my request for more help in getting through this withdrawal NOT as "seeking medical advice", but rather seeking things that have worked for others who have gone through what I now am.

And I'm extremely grateful, ndz - for all of your great advice and helpful and encouraging words! No "medical advice" offered, non received, so no worries, anna. Thanks for your concern, all the same.

But again, ndz, I certainly will go for the na's (that's what we call bananas round here) and everrything else you mentioned is now in my med cabinet (thanks to a wonderful husband), and I'll be right-o very soon.... [ I hope ]

Thanks for your help, everyone! I hope never to forget how awful this has been; that alone would stop me from ever getting here again!