Notices

14 days today but better and better

Old 03-07-2008, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 days today but better and better

I can't believe that tonight it has been only 14 days since my last drink. 2 weeks of aa meetings (8 meetings).
I try not to count the days becasue it is to scary. I can't belive it, but I really need my meetings. You can read my posts to understand my resistance to going to AA.

I don't misss the party life, the running all night. I must get this half of my life right. Sobriety is the most important thing in my life.
You know, when I was having a big night partying we used to joke that it was a once in a lifetime expereinece. And you know, this really is a once in a lifetime experience that worthy of really savoring it - and I am.!

I still learning to surrender, find a sponser, and really start working the program.

Any suggesstions on how to get a sponser?

Any one else awake at this late hour?

I would not have gotton this far without everyone on SR- SR Rocks!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Stand -
Congratulations to ya!

Some of us can be TECHNICALLY termed as 'up' .. LOL (I'm at work) I don't know about 'awake' ... I'm 'on the clock' .. so I don't know if I qualify to be both at the same time, I mean it's not like I work in a nuclear reactor or anything ...

good for YOU!!!! I'm excited for you!

About a sponsor - look around you at meetings, look for someone who's done the steps, and who looks like they have what you want. You'll be drawn to someone, trust me. Often all you have to do is just ask the person next to you how to go about getting a sponsor.

Thanks for coming back to check in... really!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Look on the free literature rack
most meeting have

"Questions and Answers on Sponsorship"

That is the official AA guideline.

Awesome progress ...Congratulations
Old 03-08-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work Standfast!!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very pleased to see you going to meetings and looking for a sponsor.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ask

Good job on your sobriety standfast,

On getting a sponsor...If you have "beginner's meetings" in your area those are good for getting sponsors. The club I go to always has a good number of "oldtimers" looking to help someone get started.

Another thing to consider is asking someone to be a temporary sponsor, that leaves both sponsor and sponsoree a way to end the relationship. There are a number of reasons this may be needed. Sometimes people want to help but have too many commitments already but they can help you get started. Also if you're very new to the program you may find a better fit after awhile, leave yourself room to change and grow.

If you have trouble asking because you are afraid of rejection, bring sponsorship up as a topic in a discussion meeting and add that you are in need of a sponsor. If you can't bring yourself to introduce the topic, go to the chairman before a discussion meeting and tell him/her your situation and you would appreciate his/her help.

The main thing to remember, a sponsor is just another drunk who has worked the steps and by asking someone to be your sponsor you are helping him as much as he is helping you...that is the reality of the program. It's my experience that sobriety takes work and if I want it I have to do the work....ask for help and be there to give help if I can..

Good Luck standfast ...you can do it!!

God's Peace
Old 03-08-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats
Old 03-08-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Congrats on the two weeks mate, well done.

I am looking for a sponsor myself, to take that next step in recovery - I'll wish us both luck, and well done for the time spent so far.

ndz
Old 03-09-2008, 12:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

2 weeks is fantastic! Keep moving forward....keep your eyes open for a sponsor--and get started with the steps. Congrats! :ghug3
Old 03-09-2008, 12:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Excelleent, I used to not count the days but now I do so steadfastly, I mean everyday in life counts and is a wonder. I've got the sponsor problem too. Problem is I live down here in the south of France 1.5 hours each way which is a lovely drive but long way to go, 1 meeting per week and we are like 6 max only one who is sober for a long time and I don't want to intrude because I know he's got alot on his plate. So, I'll keep looking.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats Standfast!! Two weeks is a huge deal. I sometimes try to lose track of time, and only look forward - not for too long though, lest I forget where I'm coming from.

Originally Posted by StandFast View Post
I would not have gotton this far without everyone on SR- SR Rocks!
Agreed!

Matt
Old 03-09-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile Congratulations

2 weeks is awesome!