Notices

What can I expect?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What can I expect?

I am new to this site but not new to the desire to kick the alcohol addiction. But I need to hear the horror stories so I know the worst to expect, both physically and emotionally, behaviorally and neurologically, that I may experience so that I can come to terms with it before I go total sober. Anything that you can share would be great. I expect some DT's, and some depression. But what exactly can I experience physically or mentally? I have just had a physical and my doctor knows I plan to quit and I'm in superb health otherwise. HELP ME OUT!!! Please.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great to see you saw your Doc, and he is aware of your plan.

It's hard to predict exactly what kind of withdrawal you will have, as it depends on a number of factors. Generally, the more you drank, the worse it will be. For me it was unpleasant, but not that bad. I just felt kind of crappy for a few days, and I slept a lot, and I was always cold.

I'm sure more will come along to share their specific experiences.

Welcome to SR, it's the place to be if you want to be sober.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Hey bud! Just incase you lost your first post some people said hi there. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1697935
Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link from our Alcoholism Forum
with info and some of our experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Also...I suggest you read the next thread
down from the above. Interesting info on alcoholism.

Glad to know you already checked with your doctor
Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

HOw much are you drinking now? and what?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi again Countryboy,

I suggest you *don't* read horror stories. If you're under a doc's care, withdrawal can be uncomfortable, but it is doable. We are all unique, there's no way to predict how you'll feel when the time comes to drop the booze - but again, if you're under a doc's care you should be safe. Just take it one day at a time.

Matt
Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

CB

I replied to you original thread...

I agree with Matt. In reading your original post, if accurate, you MAY suffer less than some. I did.

There is no better advice than that which suggests that you see your doctor.

Whatever you suffer, it is sure to be less than thrilling. But, I agree with Matt, that focusing on that may be counterproductive and perhaps even induce some stuff that wouldn't have happened.

You might wish to focus on the stories of the newly recovering. Perhaps the "3 months and under" thread. Seriously. Because there you will read of those who have gone through their various sh*t and what lay beyond immediate withdrawal. No sense in going to graduate school and enduring the rigors without having a sense of what your success will bring upon graduation

It is glorious, CB. Not without tests, exams, and the anxiety they bring. But you get to wear that cap and gown and begin a journey of lifelong learning. I have yet to see anyone here say that it wasn't worth it, regardless of what they went through.

Class begins now, CB. There are some great faculty and some wonderful "study partners." The tuition, by the way, is free. You are not any less strong than we who are here. You've proved that by joining us.

I agree with Matt. Keep your eyes on the prize. Focus on what success will bring. There are many of us who were where you are at just a very short time ago. I have but three weeks and my whole life is transformed. I have a long way to go, but I am sincerely enjoying the journey.

warrens
Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You can expect any of a number of things! My detox wasn't so bad physically, but EMOTIONALLY!! well, that's another story. My emotions are up and down still and I'm not sure when that will change.

But what I know for sure that you can expect is a lot of support here at SR. It is my lifeline.