Notices

On my third day!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On my third day!

Well, I've made it two days without a drink. I'm on my third. It was hard last night, until I smoked a little pot. I feel kinda guilty doing it because I feel like I'm cheating. But I'm only doing it because it really makes me not want to drink and it helps me sleep. It' make this so much easier. I'd like to be able to fall asleep without smoking, but I can't afford to sit up until 2 or 3 in the in morning because I'm not tired. I have to be up around 7:30 to take care of my daughter, so I need my sleep.

Tuesday always seems to be a hard day for me...the third day. It seems like that's about as far as I've gotten so far before I cave in and drink. I should be ok as long as no one calls me, or I dont get pissed off about something. I'm still working on saying 'no' and not turning to alcohol at every mood change I have. So I need to find something to do with my time tonight so I dont get bored and antsy.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coming up with ways to occupy yourself in the early days is a good idea. Plan ahead. And smoking pot isn't a great way to deal with cravings, and may eventually lead you
back to the bottle.
Don't talk yourself into drinking, thinking that because you've only ever made it to 3 days, that's all you will ever achieve.
Your daughter deserves a sober parent. You can do this.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,

As Rowan said, using pot can lead you back to the bottle.

I am sending strength your way...

You can do this...:ghug
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Won't comment on the pot. Not mine to do.

I do wish to say congratulations! I look forward to reading of your journey to recovery.

warrens
Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why does everyone think pot will lead back to the bottle? I'm just curious. Because in my experience, pot has always led me away from the bottle....do you mean it will make me want to drink while i'm smoking it, or are you saying smoking in pot in general will make me want to drink again? I've just never heard anyone say anything like that, so I'd love to hear more, please.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my 2 cents

There is no set formula on what leads to what and I speak from my own experience.

If I'm using some mood altering substance, doesn't matter whether it's booze, pot, coke...whatever, there's some reason I'm having a problem being who I am.

I don't like my reality and I want to change my perception, for me that's a huge problem. When I was young, using enhanced many experiences in life but the problem is, I began using to escape from reality, I crossed some imaginary line and my life spiraled out of control. It got to the point I used alcohol and drugs so I didn't have to experience any emotions I didn't want to deal with. That's what makes me an alcoholic. It's not that I have any more pain or trouble in my life; but when confronted with pain or trouble I medicate which always leads to more of what I'm trying to rid myself of.

The good news, you're on the right path, don't give up!!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TFC

Here's what I "think" I understand. I'm not sure what your level of awareness is regarding AA.

Though not official, there is an opinion held by many AA'ers that any substance that alters consciousness is to be strictly avoided. Too reminiscent of what ever one is addicted to. There may be some scientific basis for this as well, as different substances can stimulate or affect the same areas of the brain.

Many AAers go so far as refusing pain meds at the dentist, eg. I refuse to relate my knowledge of others who used other substances while recovering from alcohol. It might seem like an endorsement or a "line in the sand" no no. I don't think that either is quite ethical. Thus, my "not mine to do."

People will do what they're gonna do anyways. I just pray for your recovery.

warrens
Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi timeforchange,

I am just a couple days ahead of you in sobriety and I am constantly fighting cravings. I've found that finding something to do, like you said, is critical. I'
ve been spending alot of time on this site, also I have been doing sudoku puzzles to work my mind, and I've been praying a lot. Whatever you can find to do at night instead of drink will work. We can do this, don't give up!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
TFC

Here's what I "think" I understand. I'm not sure what your level of awareness is regarding AA.

Though not official, there is an opinion held by many AA'ers that any substance that alters consciousness is to be strictly avoided. Too reminiscent of what ever one is addicted to. There may be some scientific basis for this as well, as different substances can stimulate or affect the same areas of the brain.

Many AAers go so far as refusing pain meds at the dentist, eg. I refuse to relate my knowledge of others who used other substances while recovering from alcohol. It might seem like an endorsement or a "line in the sand" no no. I don't think that either is quite ethical. Thus, my "not mine to do."

People will do what they're gonna do anyways. I just pray for your recovery.

warrens
Ok, I understand. I should've known that. Addicts trying to recover shouldn't use anything to alter their mind. I knew that. I am still very new to this whole thing, and I know nothing about AA.. Thank you for the info!