Language of Letting Go - March 4

Old 03-04-2008, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - March 4

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Higher Power as a Source

I've learned I can take care of myself, and what I can't do, God will do for me.
--Al-Anon member

God, a Higher Power as we understand Him, is our source of guidance and positive change. This doesn't mean we're not responsible for ourselves. We are. But we aren't in this alone.

Recovery is not a do-it-yourself project. We don't have to become overly concerned about changing ourselves. We can do our part, relax, and trust that the changes we'll experience will be right for us.

Recovery means we don't have to look to other people as our source to meet our needs. They can help us, but they are not the source.

As we learn to trust the recovery process, we start to understand that a relationship with our Higher Power is no substitute for relationships with people. We don't need to hide behind religious beliefs or use our relationship with a Higher Power as an excuse to stop taking responsibility for ourselves and taking care of ourselves in relationships. But we can tap into and trust a Power greater than ourselves for the energy, wisdom, and guidance to do that.

Today, I will look to my Higher Power as a source for all my needs, including the changes I want to make in my recovery.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

One of the greatest gifts of recovery, for me, has been to be able to connect with that power greater than myself, a Higher Power that I choose to call God.

I began recovery mad at God, questioning His love when He would allow our lives to go so out of control. What I learned was that we have free will, as does the addict, and that all we need to do is take one step toward God and He will take 100 steps toward us.

To learn through my fellowship, through SR and through prayer that I don't walk alone ever, to know there are those who understand me and my circumstance and who care no matter how much a mess things up, has given me courage and strength when I thought I was drained, and faith and hope where I thought there was only darkness.

It's a beautiful thing.

Hugs