Haven't Posted In Forever

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Haven't Posted In Forever

Hey everyone! Most of you don't know me- I used to post here a couple of years ago but I haven't posted in awhile. The addict in my life is my son- 21 years old who is currently doing time in a minimum security facility on a felony probation violation. He has been clean from meth (his primary DOC) for about 20 months but he started drinking alot last spring, got a DUI, and is now doing time for a probation violation. He seems to be "getting it" in small steps but I do believe that he won't go back to meth which is a blessing. He seems to be working toward deciding that using alcohol is a bad thing for him too- but only time will tell.

Recently he learned a tough lesson- my father-in-law died the first week of February after a very short illness and David didn't get to to see him before he died. He did get to attend the funeral- an officer brought him to the funeral and to the burial- it was an unexpected blessing that we were all grateful for. David was so happy to be there that he didn't think about the details till they happened- like what some people must have thought to see him in his "blues" at the funeral!

So- we are still plugging along- I am in a much better place than when he was "running and gunning" back in the meth days. It is good to see some old friends around- I will try to pop in more often. I have been on SR several times but I was "under the radar" and not logged in.

Take care everyone! Life does get better- whether your addict is using or not- keep working the steps.

Idahoone
Old 03-03-2008, 11:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thank you for sharing! I am a recovering alcoholic/crystal meth addict. I'm glad to hear that your son is doing better. Welcome back to the forum!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Idahoone))) It's good to see you again, and good to hear that your son is doing so much better, regardless of his circumstances.

I believe that God takes us to where we are supposed to go, and perhaps his HP has something special that he will learn in prison, or someone he needs to meet to help with his own experience.

Don't be a stranger, it's been a long time and I have been hoping that things have been better for you.

Hugs
Old 03-04-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Idahoone,

Oh, I was around when you were here more often and it's so good to see you!

Sounds like you are in a pretty good place and I am so happy for you. I'm glad to hear your son might be getting it, even if it is a little bit at the time. We moms will take that, won't we?

Now don't be a stranger. Us "oldtimers" around here like to keep up with each other.

Hugs,
Hangin' In

Last edited by Hangin' In; 03-04-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice to see you Ann! I agree with you about lessons to learn in prison- and I think he is learning those lessons this time around. Actually, I think he has been learning all along- it just didn't always look like he was. As much as I hate to say the words "My son is in prison"- I am proud of him for what he has accomplished and I know that he is helping and inspiring others and he is definitely learning from those who have been in custody for years and years.

I go see him every Monday evening and I see the same parents, wives, kids, and girlfriends every time. It is a club I never asked to join but I am grateful that I can see my addict child- I know there are others whose addicts are out "there" doing what they do and their families don't see them.

Life is a journey and I have learned so much over the past 4 or 5 years- thank goodness I couldn't see what was going to happen because I couldn't have taken it all at once. David and I can look back over the last few years and laugh about some of it which I never thought I would be able to do. He is strong, kind, mature, and loving- and I am grateful he is still here.

Hugs,

Idahoone
Old 03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Idahoone,

Good to see you again! Thanks for updating us on your son and on your recovery. I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law... it's odd how things like that can end up being a good life lesson for our A's.

Don't be such a stranger!

Cats
Old 03-04-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so good to hear from you and know you are doing well. It sounds like your son is learning as well...How wonderful that you can see the young man you knew was hidden behind the disease. Hugs
Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((((Idahoone)))))))))

It's so good to hear from ya, girl. We've missed ya around here. I, myself, have taken a kind of hiatus from sr., for which I'm truly sorry for. It has nothing to do with these great people. Not by a long shot. I love them all.
I just need/needed to stop thinking about addiction for a while. I'm sure that makes alot of sense to everyone here. I really need to catch up, myself.
I'm glad you stopped in and I'm glad your son is doing well.
(my son kicked heroin, after being in jail for 6 months)
He too, went through the "alcohol" phase and became quite wounded for it, as well. Now, after lots of trying, he's finally seeing a doctor on a regular basis, taking lithium for bi-polar disorder, living with an employed elderly gf (new mama), but still on the pot. I've given up. I take the good with the bad and when it gets too bad....
I run in the other direction. Fast and hard. lol
You keep coming back, ya hear?
I'll stop in more often, too. I've missed everyone here like crazy.
Hugs, prayers, and support, from one mom to another.
Linda
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On a tear

Ida-hoon! (I said your name wrong for the first whole year you were here....grin)

Glad you are back... and glad you son is off that crap. Gives him time to take the steps he needs to take, eh?

My kid had 2 years clean... she married a boy she met in rehab. They have 2 children - an 18 month old and a 3 month old (I know... I know).

Recently, they both relapsed on meth. But only for a short time, I think. And my son-in-laws refusal to get rid of the pot AND the meth is why they are currently separated and she is looking toward a divorce....sigh.

She is here, with her 2 boys, living with us.

My son - who's DOC is pot and alcohol had spent 18 months in an Oxford House following his rehab... but he made a decision to go back out. I am not sure how he is doing.... he is 23 and has burned through a couple of jobs. Oversleeping, spending money he didn't have to buy pot he can't afford. I pray his time can be soon... I hate to see how far he might have to fall.

But it is good to see you here. There are some new features, as you might have noticed. I also post sometimes over on the social group - moms of addicts and alcoholics.... the easiest way to find it is to click on the "Quick Links" drop down menu and see a list of social groups that exist.... join... and post!

Hope to see you again... ((hugs))
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

BigSis! I missed you! I have been checking in but I didn't have it in me to post for awhile. Congrats on the grandbabies though I must say darlin' -I am so glad David hasn't blessed me with any of those yet! I do still have a 10 year old at home so grammyhood isn't on my radar just yet!

I am sorry to hear about your daughter's struggles and your son's struggles. Addiction sucks- it just does. I will pray for both of them and for your son-in-law too. How is Mr.Big about having babies in the house again? That must be quite an adjustment.

I keep track of David's old friends and every one of them he used with has a record or is doing time right now- and almost all of them have felonies. I don't think they understand how much more difficult they have made their lives...sigh. David has 2 now- he will be in custody or on parole until January of 2011- he is eligible for parole next January. With all that has happened- we still have a wonderful relationship and I am so happy to see the caring boy back again- he was buried under addiction and lies for a long time.

I will try to come around more often- I have missed everyone!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

Good to see you again, idahoone!!!
Glad to see that your serenity is in place, and your son is doing well, dispite circumstances. Trevor is making strides too, I'm glad to report. May our blessing continue! :praying

Shalom!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back. I am the wife of an addict. Glad to hear that your son is in a good place. I love hearing hopeful stories here on SR. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Idaho)))

It is so good to see you checking in. Your son sounds a lot like mine, as he also had to learn from the school of hard knocks. The legal sysem had him by the short hairs for a long time, but it takes what it takes, and today my son is a different man. Not perfect, but a thousand times better than he was and he's been off heroin for a few years now.

I'm sorry about your father-in-law, but so glad your son was able to be there. I hope the future brings many good things to all of you
Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
cmc

Hey there! It's great to have you back!