Help, is this drug abuse?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Help, is this drug abuse?

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to address this at but I would appreciate anyones experience or knowledge. My boyfriend is an avid pot smoker. I have also found a small amount of cocaine which I confronted him about. I have always believed his explanations because he is a normal functioning adult. Owns his own biz, lots of friends, close with family. Here's my question.....once in a while I started noticing little balls of wadded up tinfoil in the trash, random drawers, etc. The kitchen tinfoil seemed to be missing little 2 inch squares out of it. I had heard that certain types of drugs can be smoked using tinfoil. When I would unwad the tinfoil, there was nothing in them nor any sign of anything being burned in it so I became even more puzzled. So, am I being naive or just paranoid? Is this a classic sign of some type of drug abuse that I'm not aware of? My boyfriend is not the drug abuser that you see portrayed on TV so I don't know what to think. Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My ex used to wrap pills in tin foil from time to time.
Also - if the plastic wrapper from the cigarette box was missing, I knew he was using... Apparently they are handy "baggies"
Or broken pens - I used to find lots of broken pens... he's use the pen casing tube to sniff things....
Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sounds like he is hiding something to me but it's wobbly ground to tread on to confront him. I'm not the right one to ask. As for the tin foil? I dunno, maybe that's what he is putting the cocaine in to store it. people do smoke cocaine with tinfoil but I'm not the right one to ask.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Little balls of wadded up tinfoil- that triggered memories.

Have you noticed any broken antennas around? The broken pens are not just used for snorting. The interior is used as a pusher in a pipe. Also pop cans that are bent or burned. Missing baking soda.. Multiple withdrawls of small amts- $40-$100 in a day.
That is what I saw with crack cocaine.
Funny one of the usuals- is "choreboy"- (kitchen scouring pad)- I never found that once. I wonder if it was the tinfoil? Hmmm.....
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I guess what I'm really wondering is if someone was smoking crack/heroin, could they hide it from those closest to them and lead a realtively normal life to the outside world? Usually addicts of that kind are a mess.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My ex was sniffing whatever he could crush up and sniff... started with vicodin, moved on to percocet, eventually to oxycontin. And yes, he hid it quite well... Until I started noticing, and eventually almost obsessing over every little sign... How long was he in the bathroom - I heard him inhale, was he sniffing something or just blowing his nose? Checking to see how big his pupils were, running my finger over every flat surface to see if there was pill dust, I could go on, but you get the point.
Yes, he hid it for a while. Then I caught on, turned into a private investigator, and realized how much of a mess he really was...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mauigirl... trust yourself. You know what you are seeing or think you are seeing. You are at the right place for guidance, but don't wait. If you can, encourage him to get help. But mostly, take care of YOU. Don't wait until you are in a mess. Continue to post and look for help. All the best. Keep coming back and stay strong.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh ..... now there's a memory. There are no antennas on any radio in my house, even in the kids room. I never asked XABF about it ... it was just one of many strange unexplained mysteries in a life of complete chaos.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Originally Posted by mauigirl719 View Post
My boyfriend is not the drug abuser that you see portrayed on TV so I don't know what to think. Any thoughts?
A drug abuser doesn't look "one way". There is not "one type" of drug abuser. They don't all look a certain way, act a certain way, function a certain way.

Go with you gut. Sounds like you know there is more than pot smoking going on.

What you have to decide is what is best for you in this situation.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

YES THEY CAN HIDE IT! I was just thinking about this . . . It's just like what they tell you about cockroaches - If you see just one in your kitchen, there are thousands hiding behind the walls. Think about how much we DON'T find.

My advice . . . look at the eyes. Crack/cocaine will make the pupils large. Opiates will make them small. You will know.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Usually addicts of that kind are a mess.
I think thats a myth. Crack addicts and heroin addicts can function for years without appearing like the stereotype.

My AH always wadded up his tinfoil pipes after smoking in them
Old 03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes they can hide it, yes tinfoil is used to smoke drugs. If they are good at hiding it they will rinse the tinfoil off. Do you can not see a difference.

My EX use to smoke that **** under my house. It is funny I hide the drugs from my kids for almost 9 years. I would hide things in the remote control and it would still work. So if I ever got bused they would never think of lookin in the remotes.

Us acting addicts are very smart, and can hide things from anyone. I was a fuctional drug user. I went to work every day, went to kids sporting events, family gatherings, I did not miss anything. When I began my recover and told all my family and kids that I was an addict they never knew I used drugs. The places I hide my drugs were very cleaver.

So if you think he is doing more than weed, you need to confront him or hide the foil.

We are good lairs.

Good luck
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

We're jedi master hiders, sneakers, and manipulators. We're also dang creative when it comes to hacking household items into drug pariphalalia. My favorite hiding place was in the open with common household items that didn't look out of place. I did this for years and years.

When I wasn't using, I was thinking about using. All my time was spent preoccupied about better and better ways to obtain and hide my use. That's years and years of practice and experience. And when I was caught, it only strengthened my resolve to be even more creative and deceptive.

The warning signs are definitely there.
Edit: forgot to add, there's only one thing I can think of for needing little 2 inch squares of foil.

Last edited by justanothrdrunk; 03-04-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: I forgot...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As a general rule, if you have to ask if it's drug abuse - it probably is....
Old 03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Last question and I hope it doesn't appear that I'm making excuses or grasping at straws. Just learning. Is it possible that someone could just be a casual user or is there not such a thing? The reason I ask is when I was noticing lots of the odd tinfoil, he had a lot of disposable money. The past few months, he has not and ironically I don't see the tinfoil in the trash anymore or the missing squares. Is this something that someone could just walk away from if the money to pay for it was not there? You have all been so helpful and enlightening. I feel stronger and smarter already. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I typed in that exact same question a couple years back, when this was all just starting for me. I don't have an answer for you. All I can tell you is that I am still wondering if my A is just a recreational user. According to him, he is not addicted to anything and never will be. What I do know is that, either way, it affects me negatively and I don't want to be around it anymore.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

mauigirl,
Don't feel bad about asking more questions.
I don't know the answer to your question. I think mine may have used recreationally for a while. That changed and at least for us it appeared to change overnight.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't know about crack... but my ex used cocaine recreationally... it's not physically addictive, like opiates are, so, yes, in theory, one can use cocaine recreationally and not have physical withdrawal symptoms when they walked away...
It wasn't until he started getting into the pills that his drug problem really became a "problem" - opiates are physically addictive and you get physically ill if you try to walk away.
Not sure if that answers your question, but hope it helps..
Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It sounds like you boyfriend has addictive behavior....To me anyway....I would just ask him about it and see how he responds...My son sure tried to hide things from me...You want to believe them, but trust your instincts....Good luck sweetie!!
Will be praying for you!
Hugs
Machele