Notices

Newbie says hello

Old 03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie says hello

Hi all, My name is John.

I am, and have been, addicted to Norco for just over a year now. I have tried many times in the last six months to 'ween' my use down to nothing, but found a tough tough battle. The closest I've come is two per day. However, there is always hope! I must say that in the last two months I've tapered from 8/day down to 3.5! Now I'm on the rise again, and seek some insight and advice to keep me strong.

This addiction (at least for me) is much different than quitting smoking. I have done that a couple of times–don't mean to diminish the difficulty associated with quitting smoking, but this is a different battle for me altogether. I know the power and strength is within me. Like Gibran said, "He who masters himself masters the universe." The problem is myself is my worst enemy right now; I have two "selves."

The struggle and difficulty with Hydro lies between chasing a 'high' and coming down in dosage. For a month I can be steadfast–only using the bear-minimum to maintain my life-force. After a while I lose steam, take a little more than usual, then begin to climb the other way again. It is very frustrating. I am afraid of cutting it completely off. At this point it would be like denying myself food or water. When is a safe point to go cold-turkey? I figure at the 1 to .5/day, but maybe the dose doesn't matter.

Sorry to ramble. Any concrete advice/strategies that anyone may have are greatly appreciated. Thanks,

John
Old 03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, circlhill. i'm the mom of an cocaine addict/alcoholic, so i can't offer you much experience on what you're going through with norco. can you see a doc or an addiction counselor? keep posting, and maybe think about some aa/na meetings in your area?

welcome to sr, k
Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome John!

You might want to check out the substance abuse section.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I would suggest that you talk to your dr.

I am glad you found us and hope that you will take a look around. There is lots of information and support.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi John and welcome to SR Good advice here talk to your doc honestly as you have here and take a look at the substance abuse forum note the stickies at the top, worth a read.

I used for 12 years my DOC was more, stopped in 1976 and stayed clean with support and help for 20 years, picked up again some 14 years ago and used booze for 11 years instead of street drugs, drank myself into a stroke and am now nearly 3 years clean. I go to NA, that works for me, a spritual program with addicts in recovery support each other, but I also note that others do it different ways and that works too.

I suggest a structured taper and then a detox or rehab but talk to your Doc first and keeep talking here.

Kevin
Old 03-02-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Hi John.

I was on heavy prescribed doses of virtually every opiate painkiller known to man for 10 months, from vicodin to morphine and several in between. I tried cutting down myself to quit and always crept back up to my saturation point. Then, I went to my doc, told him I needed his help getting off the pills and he helped me through a home detox regimen. That was a year ago and I haven't missed the evil little pills at all.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR John, you're find lots of support here. Please find a doctor you can trust and be sincere about your problem. I was lucky to find a caregiver who fit that description and my withdrawal from alcohol is turning out to be much more bearable than my previous solo attempts. In any case, fully trusting my doctor was my first leap of faith - it might sound simple but it was a huge deal for me.

Hope to hear more from you,

Matt
Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi John,

You've gotten some good advice. Welcome to our recovery community. I hope you continue to read and to post.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your sincere responses. They help very much help. I think that I will seek a doctor's help, and venture over to the substance abuse section too. Peace,

John