What are you doing for YOU!?!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you doing for YOU!?!

Since I have been in recovery - I have done some amazing things for myself!! And I have plans made for the future by doing things for myself!!!

I took my boys to a meditation retreat in Yosemite a couple of weekends ago and we stayed over one night in the National Park. We did a couple of excursions! We are going to Hawaii in April! I take them to break dancing every Friday night! I am going to study Holistic Health - and look into becoming a practitioner......... these are tasks/goals that I have set for myself.

I have 20 other goals that I have set FOR ME - and I want to accomplish at least half these goals in the next 5 years!

What goals do you have set for YOU!? This is YOUR life and you only get one shot at it....... what do you want to do, that you have not yet done?

FOCUS ON YOU !!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, your excursions and plans sound wonderful! I would love to spend time in Yosemite and Hawaii...heck I'd love to do everything you are planning!
Aside from meetings and program work, I have been faithfully going to the gym, walking and running to be kind to my body as well as my mind. We bought a mountain retreat last Spring and that gives me so many opportunities to hike, photograph, enjoy nature. When the weather is nice we kayak...can't wait for Spring. I do volunteer work, study Chakra healing and have been working on repainting, putting new floors in, etc to create the peaceful surroundings I love. I love to read and to write and although I work full time, I sense that something is going to change in my profession and I will be finding a way to do what I have always wanted to do. I too have several other goals and half baked ideas that are still in the developement phase, lol. Program has definitely helped me focus on taking care of myself and giving back for all that has been given to me. Hugs
Old 03-01-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been volunteering as an art docent (teacher) at an elementary school for several grade levels and I have been working out several times a week. I am also cooking quite a bit, it is therapy for me. LOL. And, since DH is in program for a month, I have gotten some new books to read and am planning on attending some alanon meetings this week. When I do things for myself, I am a better person and feel better about myself which in turn, makes me a stronger person.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am focusing on the goal of one day owning some acreage and having lots of animals on that acreage that I can love and take care of. That would be my heaven on earth. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You all sound like you have some wonderful things waiting in the wings. Very nice. I signed up for a 12 week program at the gym called "weight loss challange" I have been working with a personal trainer & nutritionalist. It has been wonderful. Today was my week 6 weigh in. I am in second place right now for % of weight lost. A 24 yr old girl is at 7.5% & me..umm a bit older..quite abit..is at 7.3%. I hope to hang on & finish in the top 3 anyway. Cuz now the people that have quite abit to loose could kick my butt. It has been wonderful to see the changes in my strength & endurence. I would like to be able to pull off a one armed push up by the end of the year. AnneMarie you can do those with your big guns right?

I am also trying to be more green. Gotta keep this place nice for the grandkids. I got a book with the local waterfalls & trails. I want to hike them this summer. We have some very beautiful places around here.

Isn't it great to have goals that are ours & not where we think someone else should be at? Letting go does have it's perks doesn't it?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

My "me" time usually consists of long naps. LOL!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Letting go sure does have it's perks!!!!! Love em' ladies!!! I want to hear more!

If you aren't doing things for yourself...... what would you like to do?

Lets FOCUS ON US!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh I almost forgot. I have 17 days smoke free Along with my mile on the ski machine and my 40 minute walk plus eating a low fat, low cholesterol diet, I think I may live to be 80+. Also I signed up for Oprah's class on The New Earth. Hoping to find my place in this world. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-01-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm exercising daily. I make sure that I either get some natural sunlight, or use my SAD lamp for about an hour if it is cloudy outside. I'm taking my vitamins every morning. I eat regular meals. I stretch (yoga) at least once a day. I try either read or journal each day (although, I'm not always successful). I get enough sleep.

I have a list with all the above stuff on my fridge, so that I won't forget.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow Marle, 17 days! Congratulatons!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Grateful

Thank you for starting this thread, Abundance. Sometimes I have difficulty even thinking about doing something/anything for me. Lately, I have been spending alot of time in the house because I don't want to go anywhere with AH. I am not afraid to do things alone... God knows I have been doing that for years... even when he is with me. Just don't want to deal with his nonsense. Also, he always wants to go along.. "can't we just try to make this work" type of thing. I have no desire to spend time with him. We used to go on vacations with the kids. I grew tired of dealing w/him not having the drug of choice and becoming moody, nasty during the trip. Also, money became an issue as I left my good paying job to get my family and my life under control, but he did nothing to add any more cash to the equation. I am working again in a less stressful job and a job that allows me to focus more energy on the kids and home. BUT.. I need more. I had started riding horses again a few years ago and was so happy. Unfortunately, I had an injury that I am still nursing, so no riding for now. I think I am going to focus on finding on thing to do today that is not in the house and that makes me smile. Please keep posting. You are very wise and really seem to be helping me. Thanks!:ghug
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had started riding horses again a few years ago and was so happy. Unfortunately, I had an injury that I am still nursing, so no riding for now. I think I am going to focus on finding on thing to do today that is not in the house and that makes me smile

Just a thought...I know how wonderful it feels to leave stress behind and hop on a horse. Ifound that even when I couldn't ride, just being around them, grooming them, hanging out at the barn...heck even mucking stalls, gave me some sense of peace. Perhaps there is a barn around that would love to have alittle assistance in grooming the horses and that might be a start to getting out and about a little? Hugs...I'm gla dyou are thinking about taking care of yourself.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am going to the barn where I ride (or rode) as often as I can. Those animals and the people I have met there have been a salvation. I don't know if I will get back on again, but it feels good just to around the horses. I can do somethings, but am still limited. Oh well, it will come with time. Thank you for responding. I need all the support I can get!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trying to get out of God's way

Well you all KNOW what I'm doing, and it starts TOMORROW!!!

:

Guess that about sums it up!

Take care everyone, I'll try to check in from time to time, I will have my laptop with me so I can maybe keep up on the posts, I'll be praying for all the addicts and the people that love them :-))
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ive been organizing my hme and planting lots of pretty flowers as well as truly enjoying my sons and my pets
Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lets see...

I've quit smoking (about 25 weeks smoke free now, so right at 6 months). I've started an exercise program of working out atleast 30 minutes a day 6 days a week. I've started a "lifestyle change" and completely re worked my eating habits since Jan. 1. I've started eating more fruits and veggies and less carbs and meat. I've lost about 20 lbs since Jan 1 and am working on getting into great shape....just for me and no one else.

I've started redoing my yard (as much as I can do since we are in a drought) and started to work on really really saving money.

Long term goals are to buy a few acres and build a "dream" house for me with my dream kitchen. Also, long term is to be able to give charitably a certain percentage of my income per year. There are many many goals that I have!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Wow, since I found recovery I have spacled, sanded and painted my bedroom in beartiful carribean colors. I am a docent at the Philadelphia Zoo (well almost a docent I graduate april 2nd), I read all the time, the secret, janet evanovich books, the comeback, and a new earth are among the most recent.
I joined Balleys, so I work out everyday. I finally learned how to play Wii, lol, so I play mario party 8 with my grandson. I plan on painting my powder room in the next few weeks. It so funny that I am typing all of this, when I was depressed with the problems of the world I probably would have typed, I read janet evanovich books and thats it. I used to sleep whenever I could back then since when I was sleeping I didn't have to deal with stull, now I know I just don't have to deal with stuff. Woo Hoo!!

thanks so much for this thread, it feels good to share that I feel better.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I pray daily and "try" to give son and husband (and their problems) to God. I walk several times a week, I read, I starting a garden. I really need to reach out and make friends or recontact old friends and spend time with them.