Notices

Hello, I'm another newbie!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
-Samantha

Hello, I'm another newbie!

Hi. My name is Samantha. I am 24 and I live in Georgia. I have known for quite a while now that i have a problem with alcohol (I would say a good 3-4 years.) Alcoholism also runs in my family. I just recently decided that I can not do it any more. My life is going no where, and I technically have nothing. I have allowed alcohol to take everything from me and prevent me from having the things that I feel i deserve. I would rather just drink. For a while I convinced myself that I didn't have a problem because I didn't drink everyday. Now I know that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. I am finally ready to really try to beat this. It's 9:40pm on Friday night and closing in on my second day sober. I feel stupid being excited about this small achievement but I can't help it. My family and friends don't know to what degree alcohol has effected my life. Many of them wouldn't understand why I feel the need to completely quit. Maybe this is too much information? I feel like I don't have anyone in my real life to talk to. I have also yet to attend a meeting. I am very nervous. Well, thanks for listening and I hope to get to talk to a lot of you guys in the future!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Samantha, welcome to SR Congratulations on your second day sober. I can relate to being nervous when it comes to AA, I haven't been to a meeting yet for that same reason. But coming here is a great first step, you'll find lots of encouragement and support.

Take care,

Matt
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome to SR

I know how you feel about people understanding. One time at a store I go to I told this lady that I have been sober three years. She just looked at me strange and said good for you. I felt like a fruit loop.

People here do understand what a day sober feels like. Good job. :bounce
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
-Samantha

Smile

Thanks Matt. It has to get easier, right?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
-Samantha

Thanks comet. Hopefully getting support here first will help me when explaining to people IRL.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community!

Congratulations on beginning a new healthy
sober life. The future is awesome when
you start moving forward.

I live in Dallas Ga. ...glad to see another Peach!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
-Samantha

I don't quite know where Dallas is, but I am up in the Georgia Mtns!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dallas is 25 miles NW of Atlanta
I've only lived here for 9 years

soo...my Peach is small!

I do atend AA ..it's been immensley helpful.
I hope you will check it out

Do keep posting with us....we have lots of
information and members who are supportive
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To answer your question about getting easier-It's a disease that we have to learn to live with and overcome. It takes time, but I have five years of sobriety and I never let my guard down.

But in my mind, it does get much, much better as far as the quality of life!! Who likes being hung over, out of control and not living up to our potential?

Keep working hard and and get as much support as you can. Don't be afraid to reach out to family or friends that can help.

People may not understand, but that doesn't mean thy don't care and want the best for you!

Dave
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Samantha,
Your two days sobriety is no small accomplishment. In fact, it may well be the beginning of the most significant accomplishment of your life. If you can stay sober at age 24 the possibilities for you are endless. You have the keys to the kingdom in your hand right now. You're 24!! Wow!! The possibilities are mind-boggling! You can take over the world - go places, do things, build a life for yourself - anything!! 24!
Oh to be young and sober! I wish you the best - go for it!!
Mike in Boston
ps - all this gos for all newcomers - you too mattcake
Old 03-01-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Samantha! I can't add anything to what Mike said....I wish I would have been 2 days down the road to lasting sobriety at 24 instead of 40! Work hard, hun, it will be worth it! Jomey
Old 03-01-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome Samantha!

And Congratulations on making the most important decision of your life at the young age of 24. You've already heard the 'young age' comments a few times already and I'm sure you'll hear it alot more.

The first time I sought treatment was when I was 4 months out of high school. I knew then that I had a problem. But I tried to do everything, my way, "I'm an adult now for God's sake, I can take care of myself," That bullheaded, know it all attitude was just the beginning of the next 25 years of a downhill spiral of drug and alcohol abuse. When things were suggested to me, I turned my head away. I thought I was unique. I thought my problems were different from everyone else in the rooms. I can look back now over the years of bouncing in and out of the rooms of AA/NA and say that what I was looking for is a to control my drinking and using. I wanted to still be able to "party" with my friends but without the consequences that I had. I couldn't understand how my friends could go out, nurse a few drinks throughout the night and wake up the next morning with nothing more than a slight headache. Me on the otherhand, the minute I walked into a club, I drank like there was only one hour that the alcohol would be available to me. I was drunk within the first hour. And the consequences of my addiction? If I started to list them now, I'd never make my meeting I'm going to this afternoon. What made me different from my friends then and what makes me different from my friends now, many years later, is that I am an alcoholic, I am an addict. There is no such thing as controlled drinking or recreational drug usage for me.

You should be extremely proud of yourself for having two days clean. That's a wonderful accomplishment that no matter if your friends or family understand or not, you know that you have something to be very, very proud of.

It's a Blessing to come on to SR and see all the newcomers who now realize that"

One is too many and a thousand is never enough!

Finally, I'd like to add that, in my opinion, it is vital to your Recovery that you start going to AA/NA. Stopping the input of alcohol and drugs is just the beginning. It's like when a patient goes to the hospital for a heart transplant. Once the surgeon puts the new heart in the patients chest, the work isn't done. There's so much more to do. Leaving an individual with their chest wide open isn't enough. That heart isn't going to work for very long.

God Bless you Samantha and everyone else who has been Blessed with the gift of waking up one more day.

Judy:day4:

Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Samantha!!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feel stupid being excited about this small achievement but I can't help it. My family and friends don't know to what degree alcohol has effected my life. Many of them wouldn't understand why I feel the need to completely quit. Maybe this is too much information?
For us here, it is exciting that you are attempting such an achievement. Your friends and family don't have to know, but eventually it would be a help if you could get one or two of those closest and most supportive of you in on this 'secret' - because once it's out, it lifts a huge weight off your shoulders.

It's not too much information at all. Stick around. There's always some news at 11! Lol. Welcome to SR.

PS: ditto to Mikel60's post.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, samantha! congrats on your decision to be sober. keep reaching out, k
Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
-Samantha

thanks so much everyone! i have never had so much support in this fight before and i can't really express what your kind words mean to me. i also appreciate people saying that i am doing this at a young age and i have so much life ahead of me. i know that i am young but i already feel like i have lost SO MUCH, i can't bare to lose anymore.

let's hear it for day 3!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey samantha, my daughter is your age. she also has lost a lot because of her alcholism/drug use. so i get what you're saying above.

just be grateful for a sober day today, ok?

hugs, and have a great day 3! k
Old 03-01-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Samantha,

Welcome!

You don't have to lose anymore. You can get your life back and move forward in recovery. I'm glad you found us.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi smt - welcome to SR

where in the GA mtns? my family is 'of' the N Ga mountains.... Dahlonega.

You can PM me if you like...I suppose I shoulda said it
'my people is from Dahlonega'...heehee..almost forgoe my own language...