Notices

Anxiety issues

Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety issues

Hello,

I have always had anxietey issues for as long as i can remember. Growing up my home would have people and party everyweekend. I would climb out my window and leave when people started coming and later climb back in when i knew my dad checked and thought i was not home. There is much more to it than that though. I am generally ok with one on one once i get use to a person. I am also comfortable at work. Work seems to be my shield as it is controlled and i can get away from any thing uncomfortable. Not to say that work is totally comfortable but very comf at work.
Get this, I can deal with thousands of people at work. My last two years of work were for Six Flags and i had just stepped into a management position then Katrina hit and ruined that.

I have not gone back to work since the storm. I can be very reclusive but yet i can get out to shop and take picturesd n stuff. Most times ok other times not wanting to look at people and sunglasses help. Things have become worse for me now and the thought of going out to find work scares the hell outta me and i can shake or sweat and then stop thinking about it.

I can't keep this up or i will go broke and lose my home in a year or two. I am aware i need help and started the process with my general MD.

He started treating me with wellbutrin 150 mg. I did not feel anxiuos or nervous but at 10pm that night i layed down and just layed there with no sleep till 6am. That was unacxeptable. They then gave me a two week sample of 10 mg lexipro one a day. It seemed to be ok as far as side effects for about a week but on the second week they caught up and i could no longer sleep, never wanted to eat, increased anxiety and just stuffy funky head feeling. I took lexi for 29 days and decided it was not for me. I am now getting off lexipro by doing the one everyother day for a week.

I realized i am in a cycle that maybe i will just keep trying things till i find the right one. Not so happy with that. I thought maybe i should see a psych to get a more detailed evaluation by starting the story from the beginning cause i think i have two or three diff probs like GAD or SAD plus hyperactivity or panick attacks due to the others. Whereas i talked to my doctor for 15 minutes and then he just started treating me for GAD with anti depress.

Does this seem right? should i just stick with finding something that does not affect me in a bad way or go to psych for more detailed eval, then try whatever the psych suggest. or would i still go through a bunch of anti depress till i hit the right one anyway?

Any suggestions would be great. I am frustrated now. i have lived with this all my life and i am tired of just dealing with it and want treatment.
I am not depressed or suicidal and never have been. I just get down now and then when i think of how much better things could have been if i tried to get treatmen earlier.

Forgive my spelling and grammar. i hate typing and did this quick and just sending to get out quickly.
By the way, i am 46 now. Always spent lots of time by myself and have always only had very few select friends.

Thanks for listening
Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to Sr and our mental health forum.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist. I have a similiar anxiety, with a childhood that could not be classified as mentally healthy, and experienced anxiety attacks related to going back to work. Ultimately I was diagnosed with PTSD. It might be worth speaking to a mental health professional as they specialize in mental health where a family practice physician is more about the body.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I currently have two referals for psychyotrist. I have absolutely awesome insurance coverage (Survivor benefits from the death of spouse that worked for large company) but not sure about coverage on psychologist. All i know is it pays for everything including emergency room. I am almost to the point of checking my policy to see if psychologist my be excluded for any reason.

I just wondered what others might feel about the psychologist route. If it ends up just being try one ant depressant after the other then i can do that with the MD.

I do feel i need to get a full evaluation from a psychologist. I am not into the habit of self medicating or taking any drugs but a friend that uses Xanax did give me halve of a 2 mb wite Xanax that is devided into 4 parts. I seem to be very comfortable and confident after that. Upon speaking to my doctor he did mention that it was addictive but he gave me a small prescrip of 20 .05 mg if i needed till the other medication started working. I basically ended up using the Xanax to sleep since the anti depressants would keep me awake. :-(

I know i won't fint THE ANSWER here but just figured i would hear other experiences and decide wether to just stick it out with MD or go psychologist.

I think i know i really should see a psychologist.

Which brings the next question. whats the diff between psychologist and psychyotrist?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist is a psychiatrist is an MD who specializes in mental health so they can also prescribe medications. A psychologist can not prescribe medications but can do mental health therapies such as counseling.

Personally, I am more comfortable going to a psychiatrist for any mental health medications than my regular physician simply because if I had a heart problem I would want someone who specialized in the heart to treat my condition so I would seek out a caridiologist to treat me for that. Same thing with a psyhciatrist. A doctor who specializes in a field tends to keep up with the most current information and treatment options available in that field of study. My thought is that since there is so much we don't understand about mental illness and are learning more each day, I would rather have someone who specializes in the fields and is most likely to be up to date with therapies to be treating me for mental health issues.

My primary care physician agrees with me on this as we have discussed the issue.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello.
Thanks. As mentioned above i already knew thats the route i should take but just needed confirmation or a nudge. Been sitting on these two refferals for a week while i ween off of lexipro which is not for me. :-)

have some oral surgery tomorrow so will just get that done and chill this weekend . then Monday see how soon i can get in with a psychiatrist.

Thanks

If anyone might be interested in any medications might be prescribed, and how they work for me, i will try to keep up with some updates here.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think a full evaluation would be an excellent idea. I have pursued counseling several times over the years when I was struggling in recovery, with a psychologist at the mental health center here.

I started up again last December, and also requested a medication evaluation with one of their psychiatrists. I do trust my primary care physician very much, but also wanted an eval from a psychiatrist.

I am dealing with both chronic clinical and situational depression right now.

Do you have a mental health center where you live?

Wishing you well!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)