Al Anon "Anniversaries?" Opinions and/or experience please!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al Anon "Anniversaries?" Opinions and/or experience please!

OK I'd like to hear from some Al Anoners here as to whether or not they mark, announce, celebrate or in any way recognized their Al Anon anniversaries????....and, if they do so, why and how????...and if they don't why not????

I've been hearing a lot of stuff about this topic lately....and I'm having a lot of trouble understanding where it's coming from because, it always comes across to me as if it's either a put down of AA (i.e. "We don't so that here -- that's AA.") or tied up in a lot of low self-esteem, martyrly crap ("We slip every day...how could we ever have an anniversary????") In all honesty, I also have a lot of trouble with the way "we" is always used instead of "I' when these kinds of things are said because that makes it sound like there must be some kind of Al Anon Commandment about it or something...and, if there is, I'd like to know where to find that, too, because thus far I haven't come across it anywhere....

Thanks in advance --

freya
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey freya, I'm with you on the "we" thing LOL!

To answer your question, no, I don't celebrate a date. Actually I just remember the month and year and that will probably fade as my brain ages.

Why not? I haven't really thought about it, but I guess it's just not that important to me. I celebrate my real birthday - now that's important! I am grateful I found Al Anon when I needed it most and practicing the 12 steps remains a big part of my life.

Full circle - the whole "we" thing - it's not for me. And that's ok, because in Al Anon I take what I like and leave the rest. ((( )))
Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Freya I have no problem with the date.

You see I got sober on June 7, 1981 and on my 3rd AA birthday, my AA sponsor STRONGLY suggested I start attending Alanon also IMMEDIATELY and I did that night.

So I celebrate both on June 7th, just less years in Alanon. also the alanon I started with in California did celebrate Anniversaries. And when I moved to Northern Nevada, a lot of the folks there were originally from the area of California I got sober in and they also celebrated Anniversaries.

Different areas of the country have different ways I guess.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

My wife just got her 3 year coin a month or two ago. I'm 7 months sober myself.

That's the great thing about al-anon, they don't count slips.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, recovery is a daily struggle.....a journey that I will probably deal with for the rest of my life. If I was going to celebrate, I don't think it would be a specific day for me. I celebrate my successes whenever they happen. I give myself a little pat on the back for recognizing when my A son is trying to engage me in conflict and I don't take the bait. Things like that cause me to have a little party in my head.

But to each his/her own. Whatever works is good. If you would like to celebrate your anniversary, I say go for it. I'll throw you a high five!!

hugs
Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
Things like that cause me to have a little party in my head.
I love that, I had one today but I didn't know what to call it till now :rof

(I'm gonna have another now cos I finally figuerd the smileys out)
Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I celebrate my Al-anon Birthday, CoDA Birthday, Recovery Birthday... heck for many years I would call my closest therapist once a year....... I also celebrate anniversaries (even first date if I can remember it) you name it and I love to celebrate it. For me everyday is a celebration of some kind... just some days are more special then others. Any reason to celebrate something is a good enough reason for me.... there is not enough celebrations in this world.

It might be just getting a chip, or it might be a fellowship birthday night... or it could be a special little gift, like a pedicure. Sometimes it just taking some time in my day to really think about where I was and how far I have come....

For me the way I look at life today is so amazing... I want to celebrate and give thanks all I can.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynay View Post

For me the way I look at life today is so amazing... I want to celebrate and give thanks all I can.
...sounds great (....and healthy and self-affirming and fun) to me!

freya
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

To Each His/Her Own

For me, I personally celebrate September 3, 2003 as my Sanity Date. That is the day I attended my first Al-Anon meeting and started this wonderful journey called Recovery. Al-Anon has taught me that I can celebrate every moment, every day of my life - because each is a gift - it's all about my attitude.

I celebrate it. I usually share it with my home group, a few of my closest friends that understand how special it is for me. My home group doesn't do a so called "birthday" party to celebrate those anniversaries like the AA & NA groups. But that's ok - I can celebrate it without a group party.

Me & My God have a big ole party in that formerly crazy place called "Ritaville"

Just my e, s, & h,

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita