Notices

Questions about praying

Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about praying

I'm new to praying to a HP and I was just wondering the following:

1. Do most people pray out loud, whisper, or just think the prayers to themselves?

2. Can you pray while doing other activities or should you do it oldschool (kneeling.)?

3. How long do you usually pray for at a time?

Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes I'll just say outloud - "Thank God". Or "God Help Me get through this today!". Formalities are not necessary. I just close my eyes quickly and pray in my mind sometimes sitting in front of this computer. It's what you emote (internally or vocally), think and feel that matter, not whether or you're on your knees next to an alter.

My prayers are never formal - usually seconds in length, filled with the desires and needs that I feel need to be addressed at the time.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Spiritual Being

I haven't done this in a while, and I should start again, but I would meditate (which to me is like praying). I would sit cross-legged on this little rug that I have, light a few candles, burn some incense, and think. Though most people probably don't get that elaborate.
Ultimately, I think it's what works best for you. In what way do you pray that gets you closer to your HP?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I don't think it matters whether you're sitting, kneeling, standing, walking. Prayer is a very personal thing...it can be structured (as in church or an AA meeting), or spontaneous (as The Spirit moves you). There are actually whole websites that explain many reasons for and ways to pray.

Differing ways to pray

Like speaking with a friend, talking with God can differ from time to time. Sometimes we pray in great immediate need, sometimes it is because we have sensed God calling us to praise Him. Many of us come at a regular time each day to receive forgiveness, to learn more of Him, seek guidance. There is no one-way to pray. You can't describe the perfect way to pray. As long as you come to Him with a humble, contrite heart, He hears you.

Different personalities and cultures may find different ways to make prayer more meaningful to them. Sometimes it helps all of us to better sense God's presence when we experiment with various ways to pray.
The 11th Step refers to prayer and meditation, and someone explained to me that prayer is "talking to God", meditation is "listening to Him".
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by SpaceDementia View Post
I haven't done this in a while, and I should start again, but I would meditate (which to me is like praying). I would sit cross-legged on this little rug that I have, light a few candles, burn some incense, and think. Though most people probably don't get that elaborate.
I do this too... meditate with the candles and incense. I even went as far as to purchase a special cushion and mat to sit on recently. Very calming. I don't consider it praying though as I'm not trying to communicate with a HP. I'm just trying to gain some peace and insight.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I don't consider it praying though as I'm not trying to communicate with a HP. I'm just trying to gain some peace and insight.
Maybe it's your HP that's granting you the peace and insight.

BTW...I guess my favorite is the Serenity Prayer.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think everyone is different and finds what's comfortable for them. I usually say a prayer at night for God (my HP) to bless the special people and pets in my life. But I often just "talk" to him throughout my day....very informal..like "okay, I'm a little stressed about this situation...can you help me out here?" or a simple "thank you" when I am reminded of the many things I have to be grateful for.

My friend is the same way in her prayers. She will say "okay, you know who you're dealing with here....how about a really obvious sign that I'm doing the right thing". Funny thing is, we always get an answer if we look for it.

And like Jersey....the serenity prayer is my favorite.

Hugs and prayers!
Amy
Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

my experience has been developing a relationship with God takes consistent effort. Prayer is no exception. I have prayed in numerous ways but I have finally found what works for me. And what works for me is getting down on my knee's as soon as I wake up and vocally asking God for guidance and strength. Before I go to bed at night, I get down on my knee's and vocally thank God for another day sober. At meetings I cover my eyes during How It Works and silently pray and meditate. I need to ask for help every single day.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
Maybe it's your HP that's granting you the peace and insight.
Could be Rae... could be.

I just consider meditation meditating and not prayer though. My prayers are usually spontaneous and informal unless I'm at Mass .
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Felly,

1. Do most people pray out loud, whisper, or just think the prayers to themselves?
I believe that most folks have a higher power that accepts just about any form of transmission.

2. Can you pray while doing other activities or should you do it old school (kneeling.)?
Anything important that I attempt pretty much requires my concentration to get it right. That being said, I was once told by a fellow alcoholic (a Catholic Priest) that praying is 37% more effective if done on one's knees. Sounded good to me, plus the act of kneeling gets me in a proper frame of mind. I have however been known to pray in just about any position if guidance was required ASAP. I have found that prayer is more effective for me when I ask for DIRECTION and not SPECIFIC THINGS. The very act of asking puts me in mind of the fact that I can't do it alone.

I do meditate as was previously said in order to get the answer that prayer is asking for.

3. How long do you usually pray for at a time?
Not one second longer than it takes to get my problem laid out to my Higher Power. Based on my confusion this can be seconds to many minutes. If it takes longer than that I probably haven't done all I can do before passing it off to the higher power. My higher power seems to prefer that I do my part before I come knocking and if I do it does seem to shorten the length of my prayers.

All great questions and the fact that you are considering them speak well for the path you are following.

Good luck and remember, there isn't any right way, just one that works for you.

Jon
Old 02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I Pray pretty much the way Impurrfect described,but I have a morning routine as well. I used to pray immediately after I woke up.Now, I just simply ask God, "Please."( Please, help me get through this day without picking up, without hurting anyone and to do the right thing throughout the day) As far as my morning routine, I do it in the car while my Son is driving on the highway. It terrifies me in the morning, everyone is in a hurry, winter time, lots of snow and ice. We get on the highway about a mile or so from our apt. As soon as we hit the entrance ramp, I tell my Son "it's check in time." He knows this means to not be complaining out loud about the other drivers, not to try to hold a conversation with me and above all else, do not play some of his more, shall I say, obnoxious music. This started one morning when the highway was snowcovered and it was pretty trecherous out there. I had to get to work, him to class. I closed my eyes as I usually do when in Prayer as to not be distracted and began my normal praying, but with specifics, "God, keep us safe here on our destination, keep those on the roads safe today . . . . I'm a basket case here, help me to calm down . . . . " An enormous sense of peace overwhelmed me. Before I knew it, we were at our destination. Normally, I'm taking my seat belt off before we pull in the parking lot. I'm ready to get OUT of the car. I'm generally so stressed. However, this morning was different. I almost didn't want to get out of the car. I felt too safe, secure, warm and protected. I realized that this was a fantastic feeling I wanted to experience every morning as I begin my day. I Pray for those I love, especially if someone is going through a particularly tough time.

Throughout the day, I speak to God many, many times. Simple, thank you's for small things, please help me to maintain my cool when I begin to feel stressed . . . . I talk to God like I talk to others in my life. When I'm at home with just me and the cat, I usually talk to God outloud. I also find myself doing this when my Son is here. If I'm reaching for something in the frig and almost knock over the bowl of soup my son didn't put the lid on I have a "good save", the soup isn't all over me, inside the frig and on the floor, I'll say "thank you God." If I look out the window and see just how beautiful the snow does look, I thank Him. If I'm just sitting there, being grateful for my Son being here with me, even though he's in the living room playing Guitar Hero with the surround sound on, feeling as though I'm being bombed by the bass pounding, I still say thanks. One evening my Son and his girlfriend were watching a movie in another room.I was in my bedroom doing something and I don't even remember why I said thank you and I heard his girlfriend whisper, "Who is your Mom talking to?" as though she was concerned I was going a bit crazy. Brandon just said to her,"Ah, she's cool. Don't worry. I don't have to anymore." I realized then that not only does my Son not worry about me anymore in the ways he used to but I guess I Pray alot more than I realized.

At night, I say thank you. I thank God for helping me to stay Clean & Sober one more day. I also thank Him for keeping my loved ones safe. And again, for someone who may being going through a tough time or add extra thanks for another Blessing that came my way, or someone elses way that day.

Like the others said, Praying is YOUR contact with YOUR HP. There is no right or wrong way. However you are comfortable.

:praying
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I pray any time i can, but prefer to do it when i have a bit of peace and quiet. I usually pray for family, friends and anyone else that i need to pray for. Then i give thanks and ask for guidance to help me do the right things for the day. I always pray in silence and it can be for a matter of seconds or it can be for a few minutes.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good one Felly, I'm curious myself, being a bit rusty when it comes to praying but desperately needing to do so.

I was sortof loosely raised Catholic (my mother being a lipstick Catholic, atheist father) but I never really clicked with that religion - for starters because, according to that church, I'm going straight to hell no matter what I do on account of my sexual orientation. So I became very interested in mythology, pagan beliefs, eastern philosophy and theology in general. I've since come to terms with the true message of the Christian Church, and keep what's good of it for me.

Anyway, how do I pray? I find that the ceremonial itself isn't as important as the message and feelings you convey. Right now I find that meditating a few times a day and concentrating on gratefulness and trust is what gives me some peace. I try to mantain those feelings throughout the day, trying to recentre myself every once in a while - easier said than done. Sometimes I'll actually say the words out loud, sometimes I just try to hold a mental image in my mind. But what has really helped me is realizing that I have SO much to be grateful for; thas really kept me going this week. The serenity prayer has also helped, and I've added a few lines of my own to it.

In all cases I simply let go and surrender to the moment. If something unexpected comes up -grief, sadness, anger, whatever- I ride it out, really allowing it to be. I don't keep a specific schedule, though I like to start and end my day with a simple "thank you".

Matt

BTW, thanks for this Jersey Nonny, I'd never thought of it this way:

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
The 11th Step refers to prayer and meditation, and someone explained to me that prayer is "talking to God", meditation is "listening to Him".
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

When an alcoholic starts out - they usually only know the two Alcoholic prayers:

goes soemthing like this:

"oh God - just get me outa this one and I swear I'll never do it again"

then there's the second one which goes something like this ...

"whew"

Then God or the God of our Understanding doesn't hear from us again until more trouble.

Sometimes, we gotta start out really simple.

Like in the shower.

"Hey, thanks for a body that still works after all I did to hurt it."
*the end*

"Hey, Thanks for a sunny day and eyes to see it with."

"That was a really nice song just now on the radio. I needed to hear that just now. THanks"

Sometimes, that's all we can do.

Cleaning the House can be a prayer in itself.

I have a house I can clean.
I have a body that can think well enough to clean it.
Thank you.

Stuff like that.

You're doing great, by the way, Felly.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I pray in all kinds of different ways. Sometimes I am giving thanks, sometimes I am asking for help and sometimes I ask that the lives of others be touched and healed. Another reason I don't even understand myself but, it seems like I may be just wanting contact and to feel connected.

I have found myself in all sorts of different posters while praying ei: walking. sitting, standing, laying flat or face down and even on my knees. It just depends on where I am at I guess.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

When we pray, we are talking to God. One to one on a personal level.
On our knees or sitting isn't important but the humbleness of our heart is. If you feel you need to be on your knees to try and find that humbleness...then on your knees is right for you.
I talk with God all day long and sometimes I slow down enough that I listen as well.
We should set aside a time that is used just for prayer (our talk with God). A time that we give Him our full attention. As our day goes on, we can keep in a constant communication as well. Some times our prayer may be short... Help! and other times our prayer may be extra long (on times we pour out our deepest thoughts and feelings with Him.)

As for praying out loud or just in your thoughts... you can do both and both would be acceptable.

The apostles asked Jesus... Teach us how to pray.

Jesus replied with an example that we know today as The Lord's Prayer.

It starts out with giving God glory... telling Him you know who He is.

Next we agree with Him... ask that His will be done and that means we are accepting of His will.

We then speak of our understanding that all we have and need comes from God... give me this day my daily needs.

Then we ask for His protection.
and any proper Hebrew prayer would end with giving God glory.

For thine is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here's my favorite.
SHORT PRAYER FOR TODAY

Dear God,
So far today, I've done alright. I haven't gossiped, I haven't lost my temper, haven't been grumpy,nasty or selfish.
I'm really glad of that. But, in a few minutes, God, I'm going to get out of bed, and from then on,
I'M PROBABLY GOING TO NEED A LOT OF HELP!

AMEN:praying