Notices

I'm back after 1 year

Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back after 1 year

Hello everyone. I haven't posted here in over a year. Back then, I was really making progress in my recovery, and for some reason, I twisted off and have been drinking almost daily since then. I've never really "hit bottom" so to speak. I've never been arrested, lost a job, or had any real catastrophe related to my alcoholism, yet. Maybe I'm what some call a functional alcoholic. Well, I don't seem to be functioning very well any more. I'm gradually developing some health issues, the small company I own with a business partner is really struggling to stay afloat. Back when I quit a year ago, I went to a few AA meetings and they were really helpful. The problem is that I also suffer from social phobia, unless I am drinking. I never quite felt completely comfortable at the meetings, because I was sober. For so many years, I've always gotten a good buzz before parties or gatherings. I never learned how to handle gatherings or meetings while sober. So, I'm back, and I'm looking forward to sobriety with the help of all of you, and maybe AA or some other resource.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Check these out, you might find a program that you can work from the comfort of your own home to get you started.

Very glad you are reaching out here.

Seren
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I can relate to the social phobia.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to see you here.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Welcome back, Irv! Glad you made it back safe!

"...We will intuitively know how to handle (social) situations which used to baffle us..."

It isn't just about "sobriety" for me... For me, its about recovery... Sobriety is just the start -- it gives you a fighting chance.

...I also suffer from social phobia, unless I am drinking. I never quite felt completely comfortable at the meetings, because I was sober...
You're telling part of my story.

About all I can say is that, like anything else, it gets better and easier with practice... But if you don't practice, it doesn't get better.

You are not alone.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Look up a meeting. You will not be the only one there with social phobia.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome back,

I can relate to being uncomfortable in social situations too.

So, now, I don't go out as often as I used to and that's fine with me.

Going out and socializing is not worth losing my recovery.

I hope you make the decision to stay sober.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I look forward to a long relationship with this forum. I really feel like it helps me. I'm going to need special help whenever facing a get-together or holiday situation. That's when I've twisted off in the past.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome back to SR Irv, AA is not the only recovery program on the block, try some others, give AA another shot, there is a guy in my home group that is going on 4 years (I think) sober that shared that he did not say a single word in a meeting for his first year, he went to a meeting a day the whole time and just listened....... and he stayed sober!!! He said that he was still in a lot of pain and finally realized that he had to talk, he said it was like some one turned on a light.

He said that he really could not have spoken for a very long time when he first started coming to meetings, but he still got a lot out of them, he says it is really neat today being part of the solution for others by sharing.

Check out other programs, being willing to do what ever you need to do to get and stay sober is the key.