Cyber Sponsor?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Cyber Sponsor?

Is it possible to have a Cyber sponsor? I can't seem to find a Face to Face sponsor so I thought this might be a good place to look for one...
Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good question!!!!

Lord knows a few of em on here pop to mind really quickk
Stoney, Amy, GT, Dee, and my Rob, Ann, The Barbs(can't pick just one!) and nomore MM and Noggie and Astro and Uncle Rusty and OMG just everybody......I guess what I am trying to say is everyone has different inputs here why need a sponcer at all.......thats me though
Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I don't think it's such a bad idea to have co-sponsors on the internet, but I tend to look at them as being advisors on AA, sobriety, recovery, Steps, etc. They're friends who are sharing their experience, strength, and hope.

Honestly, I don't believe anything or anyone can take the place of a face-to-face sponsor. My sponsor is someone who has the life that I want in recovery, he's an excellent example to me and I'm grateful that I see him every week at meetings. That's something I can't find in a "cyber sponsor", so my suggestion is to continue looking for one at your meetings, and in the meantime try to share with other "temporary" sponsors.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am told that it is best that you find a sponsor of the same sex which is why I am having difficulty. I guess I will have to start going to different meetings around town...sponsor shopping, so to speak. Wouldn't be bad to add an extra meeting or two to my week.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm not familiar with Toronto, but this page shows approx. 50 meetings every day in your area Toronto Intergroup: find a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous and there are probably members here on SR from the Toronto area who can suggest some good ones. Maybe you could start a post on that?

The meeting I attend every night has over 100 people in attendance, and there's no lack of either sex for sponsors. Yes, having a same sex sponsor is a great suggestion. Keep looking, don't rush, and I'm sure you'll find someone with similar experiences that you'll feel comfortable with.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Astro,
I am actually looking for an Al Anon sponsor. I have been going to meetings since last May but I really feel I could benefit greatly by having a sponsor that can help me through a step study.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Looking out Astro! Had the link myself
Old 02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Al-Anon in Ontario north Ontario North Al-Anon - Alateen

Al-Anon in Ontario south Ontario South Al-Anon - Alateen

And there's usually a few Al-Anon-ers at AA meetings, as well as AA'ers who attend Al-Anon meetings as part of their recovery program.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

OK so this desert dweller just figured out that Toronto is Ontario South, correct? Looks like there's at least a few meetings every day. I hope you find one that suits you. Be patient and keep looking!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Astro;1687660]Toronto is Ontario South, correct? QUOTE]

Southwestern Ontario, yes.
I belong to a great group in North Toronto. I know there are a number of meetings around town, I just need to move my butt and get to a second meeting weekly. I should keep my Monday night and rotate meet second meeting until I find my Sponor!!

Tx CoDeep
ps: I would trade being a Snow Bird for being a Desert Dweller today ! More snow tonight!