Beattie: Humility (5)

Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Post Beattie: Humility (5)

hu·mil·i·ty –noun the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own
importance, rank, etc.---dictionary.com

"Humility is the defining characteristic of an unpretentious and modest person, someone who does not think that he or she is better or more important than others.

The term "humility" is derived from the Latin word "humilis", which is translated not only as humble but also alternatively as "low", or "from the earth".[1] Because the concept of humility addresses intrinsic self-worth, it is emphasized in the realm of religious practice and ethics where the notion is often made more precise and extensive. Humility as a religious or spiritual virtue is different from the act of humiliation or shaming."---wikipedia

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-humility.html (The Principle of Humility)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ility-2-a.html (Humility 2)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...editation.html (Humility 3rd Meditation)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...editation.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eleventh Step of Alcoholics Anonymous: "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

52 Weeks of Conscious Contact by Melody Beattie

Humility (5th of 7)

When I asked my mentor what we could do to stay humble and at the same time increase our power, her answer was simple: meditation and prayer. Isn't that funny? She's not in a Twelve Step program, but there was the Eleventh Step of Alcoholics Anonymous: "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out." Some concepts resonate across all religious and spirtual pursuits.

Action: Beyond practicing regular prayer and meditation, I was told by another mentor that forgetting about yourself and serving others is the very best antidote for pride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love Beatties books....I was delightfully surprized when I found this one...52 Weeks of Conscious Contact. I love the depth of her recovery. She has the type of recovery that I would like. I find her work challenging and rewarding.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm gonna have to get that book. It sounds wonderful! You've posted some very wise bits form it.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Thank you Barbara...your posts have helped me more than I can say. I love your attitude.

Beattie is a "double winner"...recovering in aa/na/alanon.

52 Weeks of Conscious Contact is very powerful, IMHO. Glad to see your going to check it out. You will NOT be disappointed.

The front cover says, "Meditations for Connecting with God, Self and Others."

The back cover says, "What gets in the way of serenity? For most people, the answer is life---those everyday distractions, obligations, and frustrations that cause chaos and clutter. Best-selling self-help author Melody Beattie knows all too well the challenge of creating a more serene life for oneself. Her week-by-week guidebook will get you thinking about---and acting on---ways to bring more balance into your life by

* nuturing inner peace
* reaching out to others
* carrying through on good intentions
* making time for fun
* cultivating a deeper prayer life

Each week invites new opportunities for reflection, affirmation, and change.

Melody Beattie is the author of numerous best-selling books, such as Codependent No More and The Language of Letting Go, which draw on the wisdom of Twelve Step healing, Christianity, and Eastern religions.

Some section titles: Integrity, Inventory, Power in Action, Gratitude, Prayer, Nurturing, The Dark Side, An Open Mind, Laughter, Love-ablility, One Day at a Time, Easy Does it, Patience, Surrender, Presence, An Open Heart, Serenity, Service, Passion, the Unknown, Duty, Boundaries, Waiting, Be Not Afraid, Forgiveness, Goodwill, Harmony, Letting Someone Help, God's Will, Weathering Storms, Self-Acceptance, Paying Dues, Humility, Perseverance, Generosity, Commitment, Vulnerable Honesty, Perspective, Compassion, Meditation, The Puzzle of Love.

Lots of good stuff...Good Luck with your readings!