SNOW and my character defects

Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

SNOW and my character defects

You gotta love my HP. He takes all sorts of seemingly random situations and uses them to reinforce certain recovery concepts.

Today's AHA moment is brought to you by SNOW.

I love winter, I love fireplaces and cold, brisk air, and I love snow. I moved back home (to the midwest) after 21 yrs in the south for many reasons. One of the things I missed the most was the seasons. Each of the 4 seasons is represented beautifully in the midwest, and I enjoy them all.

BUT it just keeps snowing here. We've had a FOOT more snow than normal for February. Winter often lasts until early-mid April here, which means we could have a LOT more snow before it's over.

And I have to admit, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF SNOW.

(here comes the AHA moment)

Snow is OK. Snow is good. It's fun to play in, it's pretty, it's delightful. IN MODERATION. Too much snow is a bad thing.

AHA. Just like that stuff I uncovered in my 4th Step searching and fearless moral inventory! Snow isn't good or bad - it's just snow. A little snow can be a good thing. Too much snow is a bad thing. I can clearly see the difference.

It's the same with my character defects. I learned certain behaviors etc at a time when they were necessary in my life and they served a purpose. Today they might still be necessary, but not to the extent they used to be.

Caretaking is one of my character defects when it is taken to the extreme. Bringing someone a good book and some soup when she is ill is a good kind of caretaking. It's a loving and nurturing gesture. Bailing my son out of jail so he won't have to be uncomfortable or sleep on scratchy sheets is a bad thing - caretaking taken to its extreme.

Balance. It's all about the balance.

Thank you, HP for today's lesson. Ann, could you please send PLOW MAN to my house?

Cats
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I NEED Spring...period.
We're getting round three of ick, falling out of the sky. They call it wintery mix...I still say ick.

Nice observation ((((Cats)))). Thanks for sharing.
(((Hugs)))
Old 02-26-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wonderful post! I can completely relate considering a) we are also in the midwest ; and b) I am working on my own issues of balance in my life.

I agree--my "character defects" were developed for a purpose (so that I could survive growing up). However, my caretaking gets out of control with AH and ASD.

I also agree about the snow. Isn't it enough already??????????!!!!??
Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay I use to live in the Midwest, but know I live on the West coast. We do not get snow, but the rain does the samething. I am hoping that this winter is over and the sunshine is to stay for awhild
Old 02-26-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Snow you say??? Oh, you mean the "white gold" I hear paople like the plow guys talking about??? Or, how it's wonderful for our economy, or "isn't it pretty?? We're so lucky to live here in the North East!!"
Well; it's snowing here again right now. My grand children have had so m=any days off from school we don't know if they'll ever get out!!! I seriously don't know where I'll put another 9 inches of snow (by tomorrow morning ) and I gotta tell ya, I AM SICK OF IT!!!!
Oh well, guess you can't fool with Mother Nature???
Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Snow, did Cats say she wanted more snow????And more winter???
I can send some golf ball size flakes right over

I believe in all things in moderation, and right now, moderation is not falling from the clouds..... very large, nasty, white things are...

:praying

for spring !!!!

Hey I just realized I've been here for a year, Yeah for me !!!!

Last edited by blue pansy; 02-26-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cats I feel for ya, sitting here in Michigan with more of the white stuff coming down wondering why.......the rodent saw itself .....WTF? Ok going with it

moral innovatory ( eee gads) I just wish the excess thing would go away
found out yesterday that too much oil will blow up a vehicle too( OMG YES I DID IT!)
same as too little, put that little lesson into context too.........

balance I feel is something we have to work on everyday maybe one day we will be blessed and find that ppl without the emotional, substance abuse, alcoholed and other problems have the same issues as us.........hummmm
Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Plow Guy kinda grows on ya. He's here when we only get a sprinkle, but let there be a foot or more and he's nowhere to be found, or comes AFTER I get home from work and am not going anywhere that I would need to get out. He reminds me of the mad mailman in the movie Funny Farm...he just grows on ya.

I like your analogy, but I would also like to be able to control the level of snow, and when it falls from the sky. Oh sure, there are days it is postcard pretty, but mostly it's cold, and hard to drive in, and makes my bones ache for spring.

This picture was taken not that long ago, at about 6 am, Toby was not amused. We live in a snowbelt, can you tell? See why we need Plow Guy?

Old 02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well Cats, you just KEEP ALL THAT SNOW THERE roflmao

I grew up in the Midwest. Today I hate SNOW, COLD and HUMIDITY, lol

I live in the Southwest and rarely see snow anymore.

But yes you are correct too much of any 'good thing' can become bad. Good Insight!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Cats,
Back to the analogy....(heaven knows I sure don't want to talk about weather, since it was 84* here today, and I might make all you "stuck in the snow" Northerners, and Midwesterners feel kind of caustic towards me...LOL)

Meanwhile back to story.
Wonderful how you placed the too much of a good thing in there.
Yep, I really really like that.

Hugs
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

P.S. Ann...can't you get that kitty some snowshoes?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Moose.
I love you. Even if you DID mention your stinkin 84 degrees...