Notices

This is the first time I've ever thought about this...

Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is the first time I've ever thought about this...

Soooo, I am a recent college graduate, sociable, decent love life, a good number of friends etc. etc. etc.

I also am pretty sure I have an alcohol problem. I've only come to the realization after my family has been telling me that I probably do for a while, but more so now that I am living in a new city with no friends to make me feel like my drinking is okay and socially acceptable. I've realized that I'm definitely some kind of problem drinker, sitting here alone and drinking a 6 pack plus. I've still managed to A new, and good friend, and my new roommates love me. But when it comes to my time alone, here in this new life, I still stray to the excessive drinking. Nothing horrible happened to me in my childhood, a little corporal punishment, my parents separating at 13 and divorcing at 17, but nothing like that strikes me for why the hell I am so ****** up. But apparently it's true... I suppose it's the whole genetic thing... I'm Irish on both sides and my Grandpa, Dad and uncle are alcoholics, and my Mom, Grandma, and at least one uncle were too, so I guess I just got the **** of the litter. Anyway, I don't know why I came here or what this is supposed to do, but I just needed to get some **** off my chest, because I'm feeling horrible about myself and my drinking, and I can NOT talk to anyone I know about it.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So I've read over some posts and you guys seem like pretty non-judgemental people... so anyway.. yes I have some issues that I can't identify but that make me feel like ****... I'm thinking related to adolesence, which was a horrible time for me. Anyway, I would quit drinking alltogether if it didn't make me feel better and forget about these ghosts of self-doubt in my mind and if there were some way to disassociate fun and my really good friends and what we do for fun from alcohol. I know for a fact that at least some of them have an alcohol problem too, but I am completely unwilling to disassociate myself from them because they are such good people at heart. My family and other people who care about me have tried to convince me that this is the best course to follow, but I'll never abandon my good friends, so it's fruitless. I'm not living in the same town as them anymore, but I fear my vices have followed me, and I'm really feeling hopeless and depressed.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Peter -

Welcome to SR.

Feel free to look around, read the stickies at the tops of the forums... ask all the questions you like.

We don't shoot our wounded here, Peter. We support each other, and we listen to each other. That's how we begin to figure out what the heck happened, how we got here, ans what we're gonna do to get better. To make things happen to get better.

There's so many other things in life to center a young life around than drinking.

We're not strangers. We've pretty much all been there. You're not alone any more, hon. We're here. Welcome.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

p.s. -

I never met anyone who drank ... to remember.

just FYI.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know, when I first met my psychiatrist after voluntary admission to the hospital for alcoholism (1 pint/vodka over 10 years--nobody knew but me), he didn't give a rat's a** as to why I was drinking. We worked on stopping the drinking and finding ways to cope with current problems. We worked on the here and now. I was a bit surprised but it really made me feel more in control of myself.

That was in 2004. I still see him every 3 months and take antidepressants. I have good days and some bad days but as I've since learned, we all do.

jane
Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr, you'll find a lot of different answers here, some will suit you some will not. If you think about it I bet you used to have fun with your friends before any of you started drinking you just got older and added the drinking to the mix.There used to be an ad for potato chips that said "Bet you can't eat just one" For some people drinking works the same way, can't have just one.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome pete...

peter
I would quit drinking alltogether if it didn't make me feel better and forget about these ghosts of self-doubt in my mind
hope you haven't reached that point of not being able to put the drink down...

good wishes pete!

alcoholism, and alcoholwasum

rz
Old 02-26-2008, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It seems your drinking is no longer fun.
That happened to me too.

Here is my experience with friends...
we have different sets as we go forward in life.
I don't have any left from my childhood or teen
or young married times.
We shared bad and good events and then
we moved or changed or lost touch.
It's great we knew each other..lots of memories.

However...these days are filled with non drinking
friends for me. We share the same goals and
lifestyles . As alcoholics in AA recovery...
we have a blast without alcohol.

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Peter,

Just wanted to say welcome..keep posting. We can help.

Karen
Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Pete, welcome to SR
Old 02-26-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Peter, welcome to SR. This is a good place to start if you are questioning your drinking habits. You will find much usefull information along with people that care because they have been there. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes Carol had a good point (as usual.) Once drinking is no longer fun that is a sign that it might become a problem. Welcome to SR!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Peter,

Welcome!

Carol's point about friends is really significant, I believe. I used to feel like you did about friends. It was crucial to hold onto friends that I had. As years go by, I have seen many, many friends come and go. Even though there was a great connection at the time, we both moved on. People come into your life at certain times for a reason. And, when it's time, we all move on. I have contact with a few people from my young adult years, but it's not the same now.

I hope you find peace.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

my best friend growing up and I were best party friends as well. we partied like mad together. and even though we're still friends, there's something weird between us, weird for lack of a better word.
it happens and it's tough, but it's a fact of life. I have to put my sobriety before everything else, and if I do that, everything else ends up wonderful.
I have more friends today than I ever could have imagined. Real friends who are there for me all the time, and who I can depend on. It's an amazing gift.

Have you given any thought to AA?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile lulu2

Hi Peter

I joined SR today after finally admitting to myself on Sunday, after 25 years of problems with drink, that I was an alcoholic. My family all know I have had a problem for years but because I seemed to be coping with life, bringing up 3 children, running a business and continueing my studies in law, they believed me when I told them I could control it.

But the truth is I can't and I know I wouldn't stand a chance of changing my life without help so like you I am reaching out to people who understand and won't judge me for what I am.

I wish you well and hope to hear from you again.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

....goodness, you moved to a new place. What a great opportunity to start a new chapter in life. Maybe give it a try without boozing. Give AA a try and don't drink yourself into physical dependence on alcohol, not a recommendation.