Humility 4th Meditation

Old 02-25-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Post Humility 4th Meditation

hu·mil·i·ty –noun the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own
importance, rank, etc.---dictionary.com

"Humility is the defining characteristic of an unpretentious and modest person, someone who does not think that he or she is better or more important than others.

The term "humility" is derived from the Latin word "humilis", which is translated not only as humble but also alternatively as "low", or "from the earth".[1] Because the concept of humility addresses intrinsic self-worth, it is emphasized in the realm of religious practice and ethics where the notion is often made more precise and extensive. Humility as a religious or spiritual virtue is different from the act of humiliation or shaming."---wikipedia

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-humility.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ility-2-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...editation.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

52 Weeks of Conscious Contact by Melody Beattie

Humility (4th of 7)

"No matter how powerful we are, something more powerful than us will always come along," a woman, a mentor of mine, said. "You can be the richest, most powerful person in the world, but you can still break your leg when you fall down the steps."

Many of us have been humbled by forces we couldn't control. It may be the alcoholism or problem of someone else. It may be our own problems with alcohol or other drugs. It may be an illness or a problem that crops up that we can't solve.

Sometimes the best way to practice humility is to say, "I am powerless." Some people take offense at that. "Women have been powerless long enough" is a common battle cry. Many of us, however, have learned how to delicately embrace the idea of powerlessness. By admitting powerlessness where and when appropriate, we become empowered. (emphasis mine)

Inventory Focus: You can't declare yourself humble. The minute you say you're humble, you're probably not. Whom do you know who demonstrates an admirable combination of both self-esteem and humility, someone you can use as a role model in your life?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that 12step groups teach spiritual principles. This is the one I am working on at the moment.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like to make the distinction that I am not powerless, but I am powerless over.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

To me, accepting the things I cannot change is admitting my powerlessness. I don't think admitting you are powerless in certain situations is admitting weakness...or belittling oneself. I think being aware of our limitations...or powerlessness is healthy.

Courage to change the things I can....here I can use the power given to me by my HP.