Notices

I need advice....

Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I need advice....

Sorry..I know I seem really needy lately. But this is really bothering me and I am wondering if I am just being to nitpicky or are my feelings justifiable.

Ok ..some of you know I am not happy with this job I am at. For alot of reason that are my fault. But this goes beyond my hangups with my own screwups.

It really seems like I am the only one who cares about anything there. I am going to do a good job no matter what I am doing because that is a reflection of me. But everyday it is something. And not just one or two things. Crucial things and alot of them.

For instance...Everyday I go in there isnt one coin in my drawer and the manager never aswers her phone or calls me back and always says.."Oh I'm sorry bout that." I had no 1's 5's or pennies one night and I called her and she was just sitting on th ephone stuttering Ummm.Umm. for like a minute. So I said you want to think about that and call me back. She never called me back. What is that? Another day she was just leaving and I told her I had no pennies she goes just tell the customers you dont have any. Instead of turning around and opening the safe to get me some. Everyday I go in I am spending almost 2 hours cleaning up after all the employees crap they leave laying around. Food, cups, clothes, garbage, just everything. Nothing is ever done when I get there. I am alone from 4 or 5 pm til 10:30. They have 5 or more people all day. The other day the mgr a shift leader and an employee just up and go outside right when I get there to go smoke weed in the mgr's car right in front of the entrance while I am running around like a maniac trying to take care of customers and clean their crap up so things are operational. Then today its my day off and they call at 1 pm asking me if I want to come in because the newly promoted shift leader no called no showed for the 4th time in a week and a half. They tell me 2 to 5 pm someone else will close. I have plans with my family tonight. So I was like I can do that. Let me call my cousin to get a ride. I call them right back and their like nevermind. So I was like good. Not 2 hours later the mgr is calling my aunts house in the middle of us all eating dinner wanting me to come in and close after I already tole her I had plans. And yesterday I am cleaning stuff up and stocking and getting everything clean and tolerable to work in. And this girl is going right behind me making a big huge mess of everything. Not to do work. To feed her face and talk on the phone. Seriously...It pisses me off.
I feel like they are like oh Trish will do it. I'm am really getting tired of it. I almost just walked out yesterday. I was so mad I wanted to cuss everyone out on my way out the door. Then I wanted to cry because I need that job right now because I dont have any other options at the moment. I am stuck for now. But I calmed myself the best I could and just did my job.
I feel like I am being a complainer or being picky or whatever you want to call it. But then I know everyone acts like they dont give a **** and it falls back on me especially because I am the one who has to clean up and set up for the next day. They just come in mess it up and leave.
Is it all in my head??
I just dont know anymore.
Please someone tell me if I am just being ridiculous or do I really have some tiny bit of reason to be upset with this?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Spiritual Being

I know how you feel. I helped manage a Circle K gas station and went through that EXACT same ****. It's definetly not all in your head but unfortunately there isn't much one can do to motivate coworkers. I tried boosting morale, complimenting my employees, buying them lunch....I tried everything. I moved on to a greener pasture and I must say that I enjoy my new job a billion time more. though I don't know you real well, perhaps it's time mozy on down the road.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Trish,

Do you have a reason to be upset about this? Yup. Are you going to let it get to you so much that you quit?

All kinds of crap happen. Especially at work. You can let this poor treatment eat you up, or you can hand it up to HP...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Trish,

I know you work alone at night and need to set up for the next day - but have you considered just leaving their stuff i.e. clothes garbage etc where it is??
I've been in a similar position - more with family than work, though. I would get peeved when my sister's wouldn't chip in to help clean up after a family dinner. I'd feel too guilty not to help clean up, so I'd do most of it, and grumble away. I'd sit looking at one sister lying by the fire with a glass of wine, and another having a snooze on the couch and I wanted to .. well, never mind what I wanted to do
When we have family dinners now, sometimes I will help, and sometimes not. I might jokingly enlist one of my sister's to help. But there is no point carrying around a resentment, or letting them rent space in my head.
Go in and do the job you were hired to do. Never mind cleaning up after co-workers. If the mess gets to you, ask yourself 'How important is it?'
And working for someone else is always going to have it's moments of difficulty. I have a boss who has a shopping addiction and she's rarely in the office. Often, I take on her duties. I used to resent her for this, but now I just enjoy the time alone. Most of the time anyway!! Sometimes she's a real pain in the a**.

Anyway.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
I just dont know anymore.
Please someone tell me if I am just being ridiculous or do I really have some tiny bit of reason to be upset with this?
I think you are right on with what you think.

Now comes the bad news *LOL*

We get paid to do a job. They have made it so your job requires more work then what others do. It isn't right but it is your job at the moment.
Keep the job and keep looking for another at the same time.
When you go home each day, you have something they will never have...
Your selfesteem of knowing you did things right. That is worth more then a paycheck every time.
We also know how good you are as well.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LOL!!! Nice sig..How ironic. That seems to be one of my big problems there.
Well...I really want to put a sign on the wall telling them their mothers dont work there clean your crap up. But no..They leave their stuff in and around the working area. I bet I throw away 10 to 15 half full cups and sodas. Half eaten food that has been sitting right on make tables all day where customer orders are prepared. It is gross. Not to mention the phone the constantly ringing for this one shift leader. And when she is there she is on the phone the whole time. Even while waiting on customers.
The place is constantly running out of everything. And customers get mad at me because of it. I mean running out of stuff that the whole place is known for. The place is a joke. Dishes piled so high I have to do about 3 rounds of em to get them all clean. Thats the first pile. I do about 2 of them in the process of closing. They do things like take all the cardboard I had nicely flattened and put into one bigger box so its not all over the floor and take it out and put it in the garbage buggy thing. While the garbage is all over the floor running a mess in all directions of the dam place. It's just sensless and draining on my patience. I have never seen a place ran like this. And it is really amazing that mgr has her position. Money laying all over the place. People not even counting their drawers out just taking the drawer from the registers and dropping the drawer wherever they feel like in the back room. Makes no sense to me. And I have witnessed alot of product theft. And not one thing here and there. I mean bag fulls of crap walking right out the door. All of them. They will even come in when not working have their take of whatever they want and then leave. Who am I to say anything? I just do what I have to do and thats it. But when I have to start cleaning up and chasing after grown people so I can get my job done. It makes me want to forget what I am trying to change as far as behaviors and I want to start knocking people out. I feel it is disrespectful and inconsiderate. And it's like they are oblivious to it. They dont pay me nowhere enough to drive me crazy like that. I know its not a personal thing against me. I am sure whoever else had to do my job would go through it too. They just dont care. Bottom line. And because of the shift I work I end up having to be the one to deal with all the BS.
There is another place more along what I was looking for and I had a second interview before I took this job. But that one said they only have PT. I needed FT. But the way this mgr deligates her payroll. It isnt much difference. So I think Thurs I am going to check it out and see what they are offering. ANd I hear it is a good company with monthly bonuses and good benefits.
I feel like such a hardass because I feel this way. But it is just stupid little crap with the employees and major operational needs not being met with the mgr.
I am just gonna have to suck it up for now.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Hi Chyi!

I have been in similar situations over the years. As I look back at my situations like this, I see where I partially set some of this up on myself. I wanted everyone to like me, so I began by what I thought was doing little favors for coworkers. You know, "opps, they left their pop can and chip bag on the table, I'll throw it away for them. This will make them like me." And then along come the coworkers who are there only to collect a paycheck for doing the least amt. of work possible. It's a situation that just snowballed for me. The more I did, the more crap they expected me to do. I became their doormat. I'm not saying this is way has happened to you, just sharing my experience. I know I have always taken my work very seriously, even if I was flipping burgers. It's something about the way I was raised I think. My Parents taught me that if I want something, I have to work for it.

Something I tried with co workers of that species since I have been in Recovery, yes, I pray for them. But these prayers are a little different. "God, please help these poor slobs for they do not know how disgusting they are." My HP has a sense of humor by the way.

Also, the customers who have half a brain will realize in time who is actually doing what they can to keep the workplace clean and running smoothly. Until something better comes along, hang in there. Once again, this too shall pass.

Hugs to ya
Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Yeah chiy suck it up and keep looking for a better job.

Kevin
Old 02-25-2008, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

But that one said they only have PT.

Just thought of something....

They may say PT but after seeing how you work, they might increase your hours because they know a good thing when they see it.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What is the name of the restaurant and where is it so that I never make a stop there. It sounds awful.

jane
Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would love to leave all their stuff right where it is. But I will pace back and forth looking at it and OCD will kick in. I just cant do that. Oh well. I dropped in the AA chat last night and they were talking about HP. So I really havent been working the HP thing. So I am going to try doing that. Actually praying instead of driving myself batty and hoping they all of a sudden get some sense.
I thought alot about this last night. I am just going to do what is expected of me for now. And definately try and find something different.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How about taking rolls of coins with you?

Put them in the drawer and take out the cash
you added before you leave.

I did that ....and I told my manager I was doing it
so there was no ??? as to why I was taking money
from my bank. And I watched my bank being tallied
at the end of my shift.

I can relate to being the " clean up" person.
It drove me nuts to see crap laying around.
I finally decided I was doing the clean thing
for my own comfort with a good enviroment.
Working clean made me feel more positive
so I cleaned.
The Serenity Prayer worked for me.

I never answered my phone unless I was
willing to fill in. Off duty means off duty.

I was always keeping my eye out for a better job.
And never left until one came open.

Just thinking aloud ...
Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

I thought alot about this last night. I am just going to do what is expected of me for now. And definately try and find something different.
Good luck with your search. And FWIW, I'm happy so see that there are still people out there that put for the effort to do a good job!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Let me tell you guys.
The Lord works fast.
I dont know why or how. But EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING was done when I came in today. And I had a bunch of change and not 1 cup anywhere.
I am blown away.
Coincidence??? It definately has me freaked out but very happy.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm glad you walked into some peace rather than chaos. Does make for a good start of the work day, doesn't it?

God does work in mysterious ways. I know he was there with me when I had messes everywhere!

Oh my Gosh, what if one of the sloppy co workers was on here reading about themselves! Talk about devine intervention! lol

Nice to see you in the Meeting last night. Hope to see you return to the chat room next Sunday night.

Judy
Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Trish I did post a reply and I dont know why it didnt come up, but I guess everything I said doesnt matter now since things seem better for you.

im glad things are looking up for you
Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Of course it matters but things happen.
Yea..not saying tomorrow will be different. But the way I let it effect me will be.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow the S*** hit the fan today. And I am so glad I wasnt there. I guess about 10 mins before I got to work the owner from out of town had just left. They got chewed out royally. My boss looked like she was going to cry. I guess from what they told me there was food...drinks..junk everywhere. Just like I said. And they all got in big trouble.
But you know what is the kicker?
After I get there. Back to the same routine. And thier all complaining like they did nothing wrong. And some guy comes in and him and the mgr go into one of the bathrooms and come out. One shift leader stats gabbing on her cell right on the floor again. The other is blasting expicit rap music from the back room that you can here in the front. And those three walk right out the door and get high right in front of the place. I am guessing the guy was a delivery. Then I am trying to get 5's from the shift leader before she goes (and after they got high) and it took me 3 times in 5 mins to make this girl understand that I wanted 5's. First she says I got 30 in 5's. I was like well give me that and a 10 and I will give you 2 twenties because I have no 5's or 10's. She hands me 3 10's and says give me a 20 and 2 5's. I was like I dont have any 5's. Thats what I need. Then she hands me the 30 in 5's says give her a 20 and a 10. I said I dont have any 10's. LOL...Then she goes well I will just give you 20 in 5's. I mean come on....Simple mathematics just escaped this girl. Must have been some good weed.
It is a different view on this side of the fence.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am beginning to wonder if I was in that place. *LOL*

I had seen a shift leader grow a look on his face like...How am I going to do that?
When someone asked him to clean a draw for a deposit and get some rolled coins. The person ended up saying...Well you are the one with the keys, I can't do it myself.

I am thinking a bag of chips and a can of soda was the better choice then to have ordered food that they would need fix up *LOL*
Old 02-27-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((Trish)))

I was going to respond to this yesterday morning, but a storm knocked out our internet.

I am in a similar position in the restaurant I work. I'm fortunate that it is a restaurant that is owned by a corporation, so I COULD take my issues farther up, but I haven't yet.

I am a server (waitress) and the supervisor of other servers. They do a better job at cleaning up than the ones you work with, but still will not always do their jobs and tell me they don't do what I say because "you get on our nerves". Some managers will back me up, some won't. I also have half my staff going outside on breaks to smoke blunts...some function better than others when they're high. A couple also do coke before they come in and it is DEFINITELY different from this side of the fence. One said he had been tempted to bring me some crack (they know my history), but luckily his girlfriend (who also works there) told him not to. I told him to NEVER bring that crap around me.

It has been frustrating a lot of times and I was ready to walk out the door. I actually applied at several other places close to home (I drive 40 miles one way) but found out it's not as easy to find a job as I thought.

So, I did a LOT of praying (it really does work) and I started to look at it differently. When I relapsed, I was working for the same company...I couldn't go back to the same restaurant I was at, but was allowed to go to one 4 miles away and maintained my insurance and was promoted AFTER my relapse. The medical insurance is good, dental not so good. I'm making enough money to pay my bills and have even saved almost enough to get an apt. 0.6 miles from work. There are more opportunities on that side of town for me to find another job. I have several regular customers who are always happy to see me. For the most part, we have fun at work, but at times I'm ready to strangle all my coworkers.

So, for now, I'm staying where I'm at. It doesn't mean I'm not always looking for something else, but I know I can't quit unless I have another job. I, too, have to do things my coworkers don't do, and I could probably get away with not doing it, but that's just not how I am. I know that every time I've been frustrated to tears, wanting to quit, I've prayed that God show me what I need to do. It's never failed, that the next week I get awesome tips, or my coworkers do their job, but I take it to mean that I need to stay there for now. I've also gotten several job offers from customers, but none that I'm interested in.

I also plan, at some point, in getting my nursing license back...it's a matter of money and time. The other night, a customer and I were talking about nursing and I told him a little of my history. He gave me a number of a lawyer who can help me with the board of nursing and his number because he knows the director of nursing at a hospital that WILL hire recovering nurses.

It sux that you have to put up with all this, and I agree with looking for another job. But when I stopped focusing on what was driving me crazy and looking for even the smallest things that were good about the job, it helped me a lot. Sometimes, the only good thing I can say about a night is that I made more money than I would have by sitting at home.

Sorry this is so long, but I do know how you feel. BTW...I am SOOOO proud of you for your clean time and glad you are here at SR!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy