Notices

Dry alcoholics?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dry alcoholics?

Hey everyone. I have heard the term dry alcoholic used around the boards but have not heard a definition. Could someone please enlighten me as to this term means? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it refers to an alcoholic that is not drinking but has the same behaviors that they did when they were drinking. I hear it in meetings referring to people who do not work the 12 steps. Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I went right to the source...AA definition of dry alcoholic.

Dry Drunk - Dry Drunk Syndrome

"Dry Drunk" has been described as "A condition of returning to one's old alcoholic thinking and behavior without actually having taken a drink." Or as one wise old drunk put it, if a horse thief goes into A.A. what you can end up with is a sober horse thief. Or a personal favorite: you can take the rum out of the fruit cake, but you've still got a fruit cake!

Those who quit drinking but are still angry about it, wind up living miserable lives and usually make everyone else around them miserable too. If it has been said once in an Al-Anon meeting, it has been whispered thousands of times, "I almost wish he would go back to drinking."
This should really clear it up for you.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I DONT CARE WHAT YOU HEARD, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ASKING SUCH A QUESTION. ENLIGHTEN ME YOU SAY, I DONT CARE IF YOU NEED TO BE ENLIGHTENED. YOUR THE PERSON THAT SHOULD TAKE A LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHO'S DRY AND WHO'S NOT.

Hi felly79,
Does that help at all? Being dry basicly means needing drink or as tanyapmc said maybe someone that needs to take the 12 steps. Just to clarify the paragraph above is a sample LOL
Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Dry drunk = someone who has quit drinking but still has stinking thinking!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, 1cor13, being yelled at usually is a motivation for me.

BTW, while I was googling "dry drunk" I ran into a quote that I find interesting:

"A society that believes that Prozac, homelessness, and billionaires are a natural part of the design of life as humans is a really sick society/a dis-eased culture - a very wounded bunch of human beings."

Perhaps we are not the sick ones, but the "normies" are the sick ones.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Perhaps we are not the sick ones, but the "normies" are the sick ones.
Actually, we in AA used to call those who were not "earth people".

Yes, 1cor13, being yelled at usually is a motivation for me.
1cor13...I'm guessing (since you included the LOL) that this was your attempt at sarcastic humor? However, it could be misconstrued by anyone (such as myself) who didn't know you very well.

Personally, I feel any question deserves an answer, and I don't bother to try to analyze the person asking.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Back to your question, my point is that simply not using alcohol is only the start. In AA-speak, this state of being physically sober, but emotionally all raw, psychologically twisted, and spiritually empty is known as being a "dry drunk". About the only thing that's changed at that point is that you aren't using alcohol -- you're still feeling, thinking, and behaving like a drunk.
Its been said, "...first I replaced God with Ego... then I replaced Ego with Alcohol..." ... Replacing the alcohol with ego gets you back to being a dry drunk again. Replacing ego with God gets you to being sober, healthy and happy.
"...So you've stopped using alcohol... NOW what are you going to do? Sit there in your misery, bleeding over everyone while chewing on those white knuckles?"