update and question

Old 02-22-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update and question

Just a quick update...
My sister is in treatment and to see her, we needed to attend 2 Ala-non meetings signed by the chair.
My mom asked my sister's counselor why Nar-anon meetings weren't accepted. Both Mom and I have been attending meetings for almost 6 months. The counselor didn't know much about Nar-anon, neither did the intake person, so they were very happy to receive info.
I had printed info. from the Nar-anon website and sent it to them. Hopefully, it will help others!

Also, when Mom and I went to the Alanon meetings this past week, there was a parent of a 19 yr. old addict sharing and she said she wasn't sure if she was in the right place. We spoke to her after the meeting and invited her to the Saturday Naranon meeting. I hope that was ok to do! She didn't know about it either. I'm confused about Tradition 11. Was I not supposed to promote other meetings? Maybe I'm misinterpreting it.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As long as you did not suggest naranon while 'officially' sharing at alanon, its ok. you can take someone aside after a meeting and suggest a book you read, another 12 step program, or whatever- as long as it isn't part of your 'share' during the meeting. The way I got into NA many years ago was that I had been going to AA, and shared that I had relapsed on drugs. An NA member took me aside after the AA meeting and told me she also attends NA and I might be more comfortable there. I was, and I am grateful she did that. And good for your for letting the facility know about naranon.

BTW, how wonderful that your sister is in treatment!!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm off to my meeting this morning. It's such a great feeling!
Hope everyone enjoys the day!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

Excellent that you have so many good choices... rock on, baby! Good luck to you and your sis, too....